Faked a Crash

GeeBee

A PLB would have been more useful than a parachute. He could have landed on a riverbed in the valley and then had search and rescue find him (even if he started hiking away from the wreckage). It would have been more useful if staging a hoax for YouTube investigators to tear apart wasn’t the goal.

Although our planes have ELT, some are only 121.5 whereas PLB is 406mhz with GPS. Furthermore, if you try to hike away from the wreckage or it sinks in a water ditching, a PLB can be a lifesaver. Zoning in on a 121.5 ELT crash is still a challenge.

• Haha 1

What is the proper procedure for staging a plane crash…?

This could become a popular way to dispose of all the slower unwanted airplanes of the world…

Do you turn the ELT off so nobody comes looking for you?

Do you turn the transponder off…. So it’s not your fault that ATC doesn’t get notified of your emergency code?

If somebody does come looking for you because you disappeared off radar… do you have to pay for that?

As far as pulling the wreckage out of the woods…  He may want to speed that process up before the hazmat team arrives to assess all the fuel and oil that did or didn’t get spilled…

There may be a few reasons for an investigation…  including to keep copycat YT artists from doing it.

Was the plane still in annual?  Kind of goofy throwing out a perfectly AW airplane to make self incriminating, click bait, YT video…

Heck, BrYan the comedian got called by the FAA because he is a YouTube star and joked about reading a book to learn how to fly…  the FAA didn’t find it very funny…

Trevor might want to check in with BrYan to prep for THE call….  :)

He may get some extra time to work on his story, because Covid is slowing response times everywhere…

Follow up question… how many views does it take to earn a dollar in YT?  It will probably take millions of views to cover the legal fees and clean up the environmental hazard issues…

PP thoughts only… not a comedian…

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Follow up question… how many views does it take to earn a dollar in YT?  It will probably take millions of views to cover the legal fees and clean up the environmental hazard issues…

PP thoughts only… not a comedian…

Best regards,

-a-

Formula is complex but rough estimate is $4 per 1000 views.  At ~900,000 views so far, that puts him at ~$3600.  Probably not a winning financial proposition, particularly if it leads to criminal charges, which seems possible.  

He should have left the comments section on -  that way at least being a vitriol magnet would bring in a few bucks :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2022 at 9:38 PM, carusoam said:

What is the proper procedure for staging a plane crash…?

Ill ask Kevin Kammer the next time I talk to him. He did just that for a stunt company in CA in a prior life before director of Customer Service at Mooney. He has some interesting stories for sure

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Latest "buzz" you can now see he had two fire extinguishers strapped to his legs under his pants. That's confirmed staged in my book

He needed fire extinguishers to keep his pants from going on fire from so much lying!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Gotta admit, when I first saw this video, I was obtuse enough not to jump to the conclusion that the whole thing is a farce. I'd never heard of the guy before that, but he just fit cleanly into my mental picture of a dumb, douchey millennial who was lucky enough to get a PPL. In my mind, it seemed perfectly routine for such an individual to (1) spread a friend's ashes on Youtube (2) try to monetize it with ad revenue (3) get in real trouble while doing it (4) not have the intelligence or airmanship to avail ample time and good landing options (5) fly around with a parachute for that reason (6) be self-absorbed enough in an emergency to whip out a selfie stick moments after jumping (7) think first of retrieving cool video footage from his ruined plane after getting down.  The fact that the event is completely staged makes the video perfectly emblematic of the decadence of internet culture in our time. A thousand years from now, anthropologists and historians will show the Trevor Jacobs video in college seminars when talking about the fall of our civilization. I hope he serves prison time, but even then, he will have met his goal of being immortalized, much like Caligula was for the Romans :lol:.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Yes

No

Check with your state. When I lived in WV, anyone could sue anyone else for any reason, as long as they paid the $35 filing fee. Whether the suit ever made it to court or not did not enter into the equation, or the payment.

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Check with your state. When I lived in WV, anyone could sue anyone else for any reason, as long as they paid the $35 filing fee. Whether the suit ever made it to court or not did not enter into the equation, or the payment.

Why anybody is giving this OP the time of day is beyond me.

1 minute ago, Hank said:

The OP isn't the idiot who jumped out of his plane . . . . . THAT bag of rocks isn't here.

True, but how many in the GA community would be willing to contribute several thousand dollars to hire an attorney to pursue a class action suit against a boneheaded pilot looking for fame and fortune? And let's say for a minute that in seven years time it winds its way through the courts and he is found liable for damages of $10 million.  Does anybody believe that he would have enough assets to pay off the class?

6 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

True, but how many in the GA community would be willing to contribute several thousand dollars to hire an attorney to pursue a class action suit against a boneheaded pilot looking for fame and fortune? And let's say for a minute that in seven years time it winds its way through the courts and he is found liable for damages of $10 million.  Does anybody believe that he would have enough assets to pay off the class?

The question asked was "Can I sue Bag-of-Rocks / Almost-a-Pilot," there was no mention of merits of the case, chances of prevailing, possibility of collection damages or even the wisdom of pursuing the deviant. It was a simple question of "Can I". Yes, you likely can.

"Should I" goes into the topics you mentioned, plus many others, and is likely No you should not. But all relevant points to this question have not even been listed, much less addressed. I might contribute my lunch money for a day or two, but certainly not "several thousand dollars."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hank said:

The question asked was "Can I sue Bag-of-Rocks / Almost-a-Pilot," there was no mention of merits of the case, chances of prevailing, possibility of collection damages or even the wisdom of pursuing the deviant. It was a simple question of "Can I". Yes, you likely can.

"Should I" goes into the topics you mentioned, plus many others, and is likely No you should not. But all relevant points to this question have not even been listed, much less addressed. I might contribute my lunch money for a day or two, but certainly not "several thousand dollars."

I was commenting on FlyingDude's post "Are there any lawyers here? Can we sue him in class action?"

29 minutes ago, Hank said:

You can also piss into the wind if you want, but there are consequences.

Same basic idea here.  If you're asking a lawyer whether you can sue someone for X, you're really asking whether you can sue someone for X without getting sanctioned and getting the lawyer in trouble.  The answer here is no.  "Sue a guy in class action because we all think he's dumb" is not how any of this works.  If his plane crashed on your land and flattened your cattle, yes, you might have a claim.  But generalized "hurting the cause of GA" or "making us all look bad" or "insurance premiums are going to go up" or "man, what a moron" are not individual causes of action and will get your lawyer disciplined for signing his name to frivolous nonsense.

Now send me your lunch money! :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not an attorney, but I did my "research" on the internet and found out that @ZuluZulu speaks the truth (he's an attorney and I use Google so obviously we're both equally qualified to comment intelligently on this and should expect our arguments to have equal merit). ;)

I grew up hearing "you can sue anyone for anything" and it wasn't until I took a business law class that I realized this is just not true.

From Wikipedia: (Frivolous litigation - Wikipedia)

Frivolous litigation is the use of legal processes with apparent disregard for the merit of one's own arguments. It includes presenting an argument with reason to know that it would certainly fail, or acting without a basic level of diligence in researching the relevant law and facts. The fact that a claim is lost does not imply that it was frivolous.

Frivolous litigation may be based on absurd legal theories, may involve a superabundance or repetition of motions or additional suits, may be uncivil or harassing to the court, or may claim extreme remedies. A claim or defense may be frivolous because it had no underlying justification in fact, or because it was not presented with an argument for a reasonable extension or reinterpretation of the law. A claim may be deemed frivolous because existing laws unequivocally prohibit such a claim, such as a so-called Good Samaritan law.

In the United States, Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and similar state rules require that an attorney perform a due diligence investigation concerning the factual basis for any claim or defense. Jurisdictions differ on whether a claim or defense can be frivolous if the attorney acted in good faith. Because such a defense or claim wastes the court's and the other parties' time, resources and legal fees, sanctions may be imposed by a court upon the party or the lawyer who presents the frivolous defense or claim. The law firm may also be sanctioned, or even held in contempt.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I'm not an attorney, but I did my "research" on the internet and found out that @ZuluZulu speaks the truth (he's an attorney and I use Google so obviously we're both equally qualified to comment intelligently on this and should expect our arguments to have equal merit). ;)

And I stayed at a Holiday Inn, but you don't see me performing open heart surgery on myself!

7 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

Got it...

Sooooo why do people get fined for "child endangerment" if they drive without buckling their kids in child seats? No kid has died while the ticket is being written?

Why can't I fire a gun in my backyard, if I'm a great shot and don't hurt anyone but only a few beer cans?

Ok fine, I got your point. I won't insist and look for an ambulance chaser. But I do kinda enjoy flying and don't want to lose this right/privilege... Especially so that some idiot gets YouTube likes...

These comparisons don't really stand up.  Fines and tickets come from criminal statutes, traffic laws, municipal codes, regulations.  They're enforced by the government, not by random Joes filing class actions against people they don't like or disagree with.  It's the FAA's job to enforce the aviation regulations just like it's the police's job to write tickets.  Dealing with this guy is the FAA's job.  It's possible to influence the FAA in carrying out that job, especially if you have the ear of powerful politicians, but you don't get to suit up and play in that game yourself.

There's also a pretty clear difference between parents who owe a legal duty of care to their kids violating that duty and putting them into harm's way with their actions, versus, some random YouTuber who owes you no individual duty acting in a way you disapprove of.  The Constitution gives you the right to say almost whatever you want about that in the court of public opinion -- especially if it's a matter of public interest.  But that is not a legally addressable wrong in a court of law.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So…..

On a scale of Zero to Martha Lunken…. :)

Is leaving a plane to navigate on its own because you want YT fame, anywhere as goofy as flying under a bridge because you feel like?

Wondering what the FAA is thinking now….

They visited BrYan for joking on YT about learning to fly by reading a book…  guess they didn’t recognize that he was a comedian…  :)

Back to the OP…. Maybe asking for a lawyer’s opinion was too direct….  Find the FAA guy that harassed BrYan…

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, steingar said:

I take exception to the title.  The emergency might have been falsified, but the crash was quite real.

*Alleged crash

We don’t even know that for sure. Some have speculated an RC airplane or Hollywood magic. Just cause you seen it on TV don’t mean it’s real!

Nope. It is real. He removed the wreckage before the NTSB or FAA was notified. He is about to suffer an 830 violation as well. Equally so, the previous owners are really PO'd and said they would not have sold him the airplane had they known.

16 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Nope. It is real. He removed the wreckage before the NTSB or FAA was notified. He is about to suffer an 830 violation as well. Equally so, the previous owners are really PO'd and said they would not have sold him the airplane had they known.

It’s all hearsay. I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be true. But, it’s also possible to pose the whole thing as a hoax to get everyone worked up without crashing any planes.

As of right now, there’s no wreck and no evidence except for a highly edited “prank” video, and a bunch of hearsay.