M20K cowl screw size

Mike A

Pretty sure this is it:

AN526-1032R10. Aeronautical Standard Machine Screw.  Description: length: 5/8", thread: 10-32, cadmium plated steel - Phillips recess.

But I'd take one with you if you're going out to pick one up locally.

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Pretty sure this is it:

AN526-1032R10. Aeronautical Standard Machine Screw.  Description: length: 5/8", thread: 10-32, cadmium plated steel - Phillips recess.

But I'd take one with you if you're going out to pick one up locally.

I may be wrong but something makes me think that the countersink angle for aviation hardware is different than normal, so a hardware store fine thread 10/32 screw won’t fit correctly.

I prefer SS for panel screws myself

Edited by A64Pilot

Never gave it much thought.  But I guess that's why the description from my part guide has "Aeronautical" in the description.

I've had a couple come out over the years.  Usually shortly after an annual or oil change, so I just went back to the shop and got one from them.  Now if I'm on an extended trip or I notice a new guy at the shop that probably gets the duty of putting on cowlings, I pull out the screwdriver and give them a quick twist.

And not a panel screw.  There are four screws up by the prop on the K in addition to the camlocs on the side.   (Guessing that's the same on all M20s, but actually never noticed....)

39 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I may be wrong but something makes me think that the countersink angle for aviation hardware is different than normal, so a hardware store fine thread 10/32 screw won’t fit correctly.

I prefer SS for panel screws myself

Yep, aviation screws are 100 deg. and hardware store screws are 82 deg. (lower profile and more surface area to distribute the load). But, I believe the cowling screws are AN526 truss head as @PeteMc noted.

• Like 1