Factory Closed Down?

chinoguym20

47 minutes ago, Blue on Top said:

... It's too depressing to know that I am not worthy. :) 

Turns out good buddy your worthiness is not measured in watts.  Or in my case...in lbs or in watts/lbs....actually in any units from Physics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream........man, you guys are amazing...... I’m tired just thinking about rowing ! :lol:

That's us at the "Head of the Fish" last October.  I'm in the far right of the picture in a short gray color shirt and a yellow hat.  It's masters 50-54.  Those other two guys in blue shirts were wearing Navy shirts and then I said, oh I used to teach at Navy - before the race - and they confirmed they went there.  SO I am imagining the by their age and having been navy that they are a pair of Admirals - whose but Boris and I kicked and that's us passing them - remember you go backwards in crew.  I'm stroke (lead the tempo) but Boris does the real work since he steers since he has to look where we are going and steer with foot rudder and commands to both of us for differential power - he's the coach for our university, and he is Croatian and has a great accent.

A racing double is also even more of an amazing machine - 33' long, and its a bit less than 40lbs I think but I forget the exact number.  Its a heavy weight boat.  You need a boat that matches the displacement of the water so it runs true.

Screenshot 2020-07-12 17.40.45.png

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

I better stop being so emotional.  I'm going to run out soon .. and then I'll be like every other engineer :)   That reminds me of a bad joke ...

Every time I see my good friend, Paul Bowen, he says, "You know that they came up with a new contraceptive for engineers?"  "Their personality."  LOL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

I so wanted to see an video of Erik rowing... I clicked on the picture... :)

Go engineers!

Best regards,

-a-

Hah - I have a video or two somewhere - but it will take some digging.  

But I did once get a chance to row right by you - on one of those visits to Princeton when I saw you - I also have a friend on the faculty there and we had arranged to row out of the crew house in that big bath tub that Carnegie built for Princeton (the lake for the crew team right next to campus).

• Like 2

The river and its lake are pretty nice...

Right next to it is the Delaware Raritan canal... extra flat, and no wind, very little current...

If you want to set speed records... precision may be a requirement... :)

I have a pic of my racing days somewhere as well.... really lightweight machines... Slalom skis...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, steingar said:

Thought about tracking my Honda 954, but I quickly realized that I could fly or race, but not both.  Probably for the best, had I started racing I think I'd be dead by now.

Ooooh, another wise decision!!

954RR...... such a terrific bike!  Did your purchase new?  Still have it?

I do sometimes miss my 929 and 1000...... great performers also...... but I could not keep my hand off that power!! It’s quite possible I might be deceased had we not parted company too ! 

22 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Ooooh, another wise decision!!

954RR...... such a terrific bike!  Did your purchase new?  Still have it?

I do sometimes miss my 929 and 1000...... great performers also...... but I could not keep my hand off that power!! It’s quite possible I might be deceased had we not parted company too ! 

Nope, had to send it along.  Always hurt to ride that bike, could only be on it for about a half hour before the pain became unbearable.  Actually, if i was doing triple digit speeds it was fairly comfortable, the wind blast lifted me upright.  Kinda like a hot BSC girlfriend.  Fun to be seen with, fun to ride, but a pain to do anything else.  But the power!  I could outrun anything on that bike, it had power to weight that couldn't be beat by much of anything at the time.  Tadao Baba knew his business and boy was he not fooling around!  I was actually fairly calm...most of the time.  

I got old enough that the pain didn't go away when I got off the bike.  It dawned on me that I could actually hurt myself just by riding the fool thing.  Away it went, and yes I miss it.  

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Nope, had to send it along.  Always hurt to ride that bike, could only be on it for about a half hour before the pain became unbearable.  Actually, if i was doing triple digit speeds it was fairly comfortable, the wind blast lifted me upright.  Kinda like a hot BSC girlfriend.  Fun to be seen with, fun to ride, but a pain to do anything else.  But the power!  I could outrun anything on that bike, it had power to weight that couldn't be beat by much of anything at the time.  Tadao Baba knew his business and boy was he not fooling around!  I was actually fairly calm...most of the time.  

I got old enough that the pain didn't go away when I got off the bike.  It dawned on me that I could actually hurt myself just by riding the fool thing.  Away it went, and yes I miss it.  

Agree....... not comfy and not made for that.   Twisty windy roads with scary power they were.  

I too came to grips with my potential disaster and liquidated all sport bikes.

Ah, the thrill of rapid acceleration!!! 

7 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

The way this thread is going, I think I know how to save Mooney!

They need to start building sport bikes:D

I had suggested Mooney toothbrushes earlier in this thread.  Everyone needs a toothbrush.  I want a tooth brush with rotating bristles - and a built in parachute.

• Haha 1

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I had suggested Mooney toothbrushes earlier in this thread.  Everyone needs a toothbrush.  I want a tooth brush with rotating bristles - and a built in parachute.

The sport bike needs to come with a built in body bag:o

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

The sport bike needs to come with a built in body bag:o

I had a sport bike in college.  I still haven't told my mom - a Kawasaki GPZ 550 - PLEASE don't tell my mom - she would kill me. 

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, 1980Mooney said:

Good to see that this thread ostensibly about Mooney and the factory has drifted into an exclusive discussion of sports cars and sports bikes.  It's probably just as well since the corporate Mooney marketing and support website has been shut down now for almost a week......  

There is still hope!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Question: Sport bike or Mooney?

Which is which, why?

:)

-a-

A:

image.jpeg.df12bcf5b103b22f93e23535ea635806.jpeg

B:

image.jpeg.343bff6eeaefd26d121e03dcdd39f901.jpeg

Is this a trick question?  :lol:

Top photo appears to be part two f Mooney tubular structure.

Botton photo could be sport bike frame due to steering support column and rear swing arm mountain structures.

Maybe? ..... I’ve been wrong before I think, but not even sure about that !! :lol:

Just now, MooneyMitch said:

Is this a trick question?  :lol:

Top photo appears to be part two f Mooney tubular structure.

Botton photo could be sport bike frame due to steering support column and rear swing arm mountain structures.

Maybe? ..... I’ve been wrong before I think, but not even sure about that !! :lol:

Not really a trick question...  it’s a did you know type of question...

A: M20Doc’s Mite airframe...  the pilot sits inside the frame...  See more pics in the mite section...

B: Ducati’s ladder frame... the pilot sits atop of the frame...

Best regards,

-a-

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Not really a trick question...  it’s a did you know type of question...

A: M20Doc’s Mite airframe...  the pilot sits inside the frame...  See more pics in the mite section...

B: Ducati’s ladder frame... the pilot sits atop of the frame...

Best regards,

-a-

Ah ha!  Twas a specific did you know question.   Got it ! Now I know specifically..... :)

• Like 1

Or.... custom Ti frameset.  And all the other bits you see are Ti.  Anyway - bicycles, motorcycles, and Mooney's seem to be similarly built.  Tubes all welded together and sometimes bent/shaped.  With hangars and things hanging off them.

Ti custom frame.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

Ti disc brake rotors.jpg

DSCF0005[1].jpg

bending bar end.jpg

• Like 1