77 M20J Temps

First time owner of Mooney and wondering what kind of oil temps I should expect. Flew a couple times this week and the temp stays on the high side all flights. One particular flight the temp gage was a tid bit off the green bar. I’ve tried different setting of the cowl flaps in cruise but no change.

CHT's I'm guessing?  Do you have a multi-probe JPI/EI?  What actual #'s are you seeing?  What altitude, power settings, leaning, etc?  201s generally run under 380 most all the time and I've heard of guys that have a hard time getting to 300 or so.  Welcome to Mooney ownership btw!!!

JPI 700 monitoring EGT and CHT. I'm  seeing 1244 and 277 give or take on #3 cylinder @ 5500. 21 mp and 2400 rpm leaning around 9.5. When descending, cowl flaps close, oil temps return to mid green arc. Oil pressure middle of green arc all the time.

Edited by lifendet

Keep in mind that CHt’s and Oil Temp are going to vary +\- 10-20 degrees based on outside air temperature.  

Today, I noticed my oil temp was about 15 degrees lower than I was expecting... then I noticed that the OAT was -20C.....  winter time (shrug).

Summary....

1) the OP is discussing Oil T. (Main thrust of post)

2) the discussion mentions a JPI being used to measure the oilT in question.

3) no mention of the ship’s OilT gauge has been made.

4) Is the ships’s gauge (sensor) being displayed on the JPI?

5) it is possible that the oilT being displayed may be coming from a different location. It is important to clear this up.

6) In some cases a second thermocouple has been added to the engine Case, but it is in a different location than the proper guide lines.  Book values insist on not removing the ship’s sensor.  How some individual installs handle this can vary...

7) Then we get to topics of the temperature sensitive oil control valve. Has it been taken out and cleaned, checked for operation and replaced? Stuck open over cools, stuck closed under cools, stuck in the middle....

8) The oil cooler can also be flushed out to help with cooling if this is an issue.

That thermal valve has a name... Vernatherm..... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, lifendet said:

JPI 700 monitoring EGT and CHT. I'm  seeing 1244 and 277 give or take on #3 cylinder @ 5500. 21 mp and 2400 rpm leaning around 9.5. When descending, cowl flaps close, oil temps return to mid green arc. Oil pressure middle of green arc all the time.

What are your other cylinder head temps?  I would be curious to know what condition your baffling is in.  Also if you are using the factory gauges for oil temp and pressure how accurate are they.  I know mine are all goofy.  If the pressure moves and the temps adjust to load I consider that good.  A better way is to go is with a 830 or 900.  That is what  I am doing as soon as I get all the pieces needed for a one time swap. 

My JPI EDM 700 does not monitor oil temp. I am going to install the oil temp probe this week for the EDM. The oil temp I'm referring to is from the Aircraft stock gauge.Other cylinder head Temps are good, baffling is good. The  oil pressure stays mid green all flight and doesn't move when the oil temp start increasing. Once I get the oil temp probe installed I'm gonna compare the temps on both the edm and stock. I am also looking at the 830 or 900 for a replacement. I know the oil temp probe for the JDM installs in another location so that's a plus. Thanks for all the ideas. 

• Like 2

I have an M20J with the stock oil gauge, and my oil temps usually run low, about 1/3 full (maybe 180-190degF?).  I've though about taping over part of it to keep the temps up.  Have you actually looked at the oil cooler?  The previous owner might have done that...

24 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I have an M20J with the stock oil gauge, and my oil temps usually run low, about 1/3 full (maybe 180-190degF?).  I've though about taping over part of it to keep the temps up.  Have you actually looked at the oil cooler?  The previous owner might have done that...

Now you mentioned it, on the list to check. I will update all findings. 

I have a J with the stock oil temp gauge and a JPI.  On my last flight OAT around 10C I am seeing about 188dF for oil temps and my stock gauge is in the high 3/4 green.  During the summer flying in Vegas and Southern California my oil temps are in the high 190's and low 200's but the OAT is often 100dF on the ground and 70-85 dF at 8000 to 10000 MSL.  This is with new baffles and an overhauled oil cooler that have 450 hrs and 4 years on them.  I just got my engine back from Lycoming for warranty work where they added the cooling nozzles they forgot when it was overhauled so I am expecting cooler temps this summer.  They also gave me a new crank, pistons and a bunch of other things so I am still breaking in the engine and will report back when the break in is complete and temps normalize. 

10 hours ago, Jeev said:

I have a J with the stock oil temp gauge and a JPI.  On my last flight OAT around 10C I am seeing about 188dF for oil temps and my stock gauge is in the high 3/4 green.  During the summer flying in Vegas and Southern California my oil temps are in the high 190's and low 200's but the OAT is often 100dF on the ground and 70-85 dF at 8000 to 10000 MSL.  This is with new baffles and an overhauled oil cooler that have 450 hrs and 4 years on them.  I just got my engine back from Lycoming for warranty work where they added the cooling nozzles they forgot when it was overhauled so I am expecting cooler temps this summer.  They also gave me a new crank, pistons and a bunch of other things so I am still breaking in the engine and will report back when the break in is complete and temps normalize. 

Would adding the cooling nozzles increase your oil temps?  Since they spray oil onto the hot pistons, I would figure higher oil temps (obviously not necessarily a bad thing)...

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, jaylw314 said:

Would adding the cooling nozzles increase your oil temps?  Since they spray oil onto the hot pistons, I would figure higher oil temps (obviously not necessarily a bad thing)...

Good point, most likely.  I do know even with a tight "new" engine my CHT are lower with the nozzels, will let you know.

10 minutes ago, Jeev said:

Good point, most likely.  I do know even with a tight "new" engine my CHT are lower with the nozzels, will let you know.

Again, that kind of makes sense--the cooling nozzles would heat the oil more and cool the pistons and cylinders more--but what do I know? :P

This thing about missing the cooling nozzles sounds like its happened a couple times.  How did you find out the nozzles were not installed?

Again, that kind of makes sense--the cooling nozzles would heat the oil more and cool the pistons and cylinders more--but what do I know?
This thing about missing the cooling nozzles sounds like its happened a couple times.  How did you find out the nozzles were not installed?

I would expect the oil cooler to have excess capacity and not be effected cooling nozzles except in the harshest of conditions (summer climb...)
  • Like 1

On 2018-03-02 at 5:04 PM, lifendet said:

First time owner of Mooney and wondering what kind of oil temps I should expect. Flew a couple times this week and the temp stays on the high side all flights. One particular flight the temp gage was a tid bit off the green bar. I’ve tried different setting of the cowl flaps in cruise but no change.

First step is the verify the accuracy of the system. You may not even have an engine problem, but a gauge problem.  Remove the temp probe and boil it in water and see what that shows on the gauge.

I have been able to install JPI oil probes in a blanking plug beside the OEM probe allowing both to read the same oil. Depending on your maintainer he may be able/willing to do the same.

Clarence 

On 3/7/2018 at 11:42 AM, jaylw314 said:

Again, that kind of makes sense--the cooling nozzles would heat the oil more and cool the pistons and cylinders more--but what do I know? :P

Yeah I was very disappointed when I found out my reward for paying more for a Lycoming factory exchange was a tear down and 3 months of down time at 450 SMOH.  To be fair Lycoming owned up to thier mistake, paid for everything including labor and freight plus I got pretty much a new engine back.  They gave me new pistons / rods, 0 time crank and crank case, and a bunch of other little things. Basically the only things they didn’t replace were my cylinders and cam but they are only 450hrs and 5 years since new.  Lycoming actually contacted me and told me to pull a cylinder to check for nozzles that’s how it was found.  

30 minutes ago, Jeev said:

Yeah I was very disappointed when I found out my reward for paying more for a Lycoming factory exchange was a tear down and 3 months of down time at 450 SMOH.  To be fair Lycoming owned up to thier mistake, paid for everything including labor and freight plus I got pretty much a new engine back.  They gave me new pistons / rods, 0 time crank and crank case, and a bunch of other little things. Basically the only things they didn’t replace were my cylinders and cam but they are only 450hrs and 5 years since new.  Lycoming actually contacted me and told me to pull a cylinder to check for nozzles that’s how it was found.  

That's worrying.  It suggested they figured it out by serial #, so I wonder if there are other serial #'s involved.  Not that I'm paranoid or anything :blink:

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

That's worrying.  It suggested they figured it out by serial #, so I wonder if there are other serial #'s involved.  Not that I'm paranoid or anything :blink:

There were only 9 serial numbers affected, I will look for the memo and post the serial numbers if I can find it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cnoe said:

Here you go. I’m not sure Lycoming handled this matter so well for all concerned. The advisory came out in mid-2015.

c24dd7abd6d79b2863720ba6a5afea30.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep there it is thank you.  No they didn't, I had no clue about it until late 2017 when they contacted me.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, carusoam said:

Summary....

1) the OP is discussing Oil T. (Main thrust of post)

2) the discussion mentions a JPI being used to measure the oilT in question.

3) no mention of the ship’s OilT gauge has been made.

4) Is the ships’s gauge (sensor) being displayed on the JPI?

5) it is possible that the oilT being displayed may be coming from a different location. It is important to clear this up.

6) In some cases a second thermocouple has been added to the engine Case, but it is in a different location than the proper guide lines.  Book values insist on not removing the ship’s sensor.  How some individual installs handle this can vary...

7) Then we get to topics of the temperature sensitive oil control valve. Has it been taken out and cleaned, checked for operation and replaced? Stuck open over cools, stuck closed under cools, stuck in the middle....

8) The oil cooler can also be flushed out to help with cooling if this is an issue.

That thermal valve has a name... Vernatherm..... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I especially like 7) and 8)... well done sir.

• Like 1