67C tips for an Ovation Pilot

Okay I have another question for those with the proper equipment. The Apollo gx60 is updated with current gps waypoints but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the ability to link STARs and DPs to the flight plan. So I'm looking at either buying the new Scout Adsb device or the more expensive Stratus 1s. Does anyone on here have experience with the scout tool? It's pretty new but half the price of the stratus, and enticing for that matter. I use foreflight, but mainly need either device for weather and to keep me on track with gps waypoints where my gx60 falls through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I have another question for those with the proper equipment. The Apollo gx60 is updated with current gps waypoints but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the ability to link STARs and DPs to the flight plan. So I'm looking at either buying the new Scout Adsb device or the more expensive Stratus 1s. Does anyone on here have experience with the scout tool? It's pretty new but half the price of the stratus, and enticing for that matter. I use foreflight, but mainly need either device for weather and to keep me on track with gps waypoints where my gx60 falls through.

Just remember the scout does not have a GPS so you will need an IPad with cellular chip to make it work. The GX60 does not have the ability to load STARs and DPs so you will definitely need Foreflight to help with that. However, it does just fine with GPS approaches that do not require vertical guidance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Okay new question. I've been told the step on these early C models is supposed to retract with the gear. Is this automatic? While shooting approaches this afternoon I noticed the shadow of my step didn't retract, is there a knob or level I'm supposed to pull too? Picture isn't that great. 987df363c5e3e87657582ecdf08f9ed9.jpg5adcc2d8cf93ddc4941bb1cb2a37060e.jpg

You need a better source of information...

The step is not related to the gear.

On the M20C...

The Vacuum pump for the instruments is the power source...

The step Goes up when the engine starts. Goes down when the engine stops.

Hints you have a vacuum powered step... the leg is a square tube that moves if you lift the step.  A triangular hole is cut in the plane's sheet metal where the step goes...

Use caution. Lifting the step any distance will cause a spring to come unwound. This spring is a pain to rewind.

To visually inspect for a vacuum servo... open the big inspection panel on the side of the plane.  There isn't anything back there that isn't self explanatory...

inspect the vacuum servo for leaks... tape, and old vinyl plastic hoses don't age well. Contact the manufacturer for replacement parts...

Clean and lube the leg for Best operation.  

Listen closely after shut down, you have to be quick if you expect to watch it descend...

Hints you don't have a vac powered step... it looks like the O's, aerodynamic leg and bolted in place....

on really old Moonies, the manual step has a crank handle to raise and lower the step.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1