Landing gear shock discs

Cruiser

I ordered new shock discs for the Ovation this year since I was told at the Mooney PPP last fall that the reason my middle gear door and the outer gear door were touching was the shock discs compressing too much. (made sense)

Well, the plane is in annual and we just finished putting the new discs in.......  NO DIFFERENCE on the door fit. I still have interference. When the plane was raised on jacks, an effort to grab the shock discs and twist them in the retainer showed they retain plenty of shape so that they CANNOT be moved when twisted (a test I was told to check for replacement) In fact after doing some measurements and checking it would appear that the new shock discs did not make any significance difference. (I was hoping my landing would improve)

I did get a chance to do a thorough cleaning and some paint touch up in the wheel wells and main gear components. On thing found was the tube the shock discs slip over does not have a drain in the bottom. Mine were slightly rusty but cleaned up just fine.

Anyway. Attached are a couple of pictures of the shock disc that were removed. These discs appear to still have some service life. They were installed in June 2009. The plane has always been in a hangar. There is no checking or signs of deterioration.

These discs when stacked as installed measure 4 1/4" as seen in the pictures. I did not think to measure the new discs stacked this way, so I can't comment on the difference to new. If someone thinks these shock discs might be useful to them, please let me know.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

1 hour ago, Hector said:

I would say those are in good shape. When I replaced mine there was at least 1/2 inch difference in the stack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's about what I saw when I replaced my discs. But these pictures are all of the old discs, no need disc photos shown.