The Last Fighter Pilot of WW II

The Last Fighter Pilot Of WW2

Listen carefully to what he says and how he says it.

Ask yourself, how many of the few surviving WW II veterans kept themselves and their uniform in such good condition for over 70 years and can still proudly wear it?  Notice his superb delivery, no teleprompter, no script. Just a 91-year-old fighter pilot representing the greatest generation at home and abroad who won WW II.  He has some surprises near the end and a great take on the philosophy of life. Too bad there are so few like him today.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/395572/jerry-yellin-world-war-ii-veteran-interview#.Vwf3T7H2bX4

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

cool, impressive and sobering.

Graduated flight school with 10 hours in a P40 then an additional 50 hours.  60 hours and turn them out to fly fighters. cool

It is impressive, but the P-40 is a high performance, complex fighter. It just wasn't the front line fighter for us at that time. I don't think he meant that he was transitioned to the P-51 with just 60 hours total, just that he had 60 hours in the P-40. I sure his logbook shows lots of hours in one of many primary trainers and then lots more hours in something like the T-6 Texan. Then he went to the P-40 state side and continued overseas before they let him loose in the P-51. Something happened between 1942 and 1945 and I think it was lots of training.

Great interview. I really hope I'm that lucid when I'm 91!! I don't think I could do as well at an interview now at 52!

My dear friend Lt. Luther E. Tate is now 93 years old.  Luther started In B-17's then did a 1 year tour in Italy flying P-51's.  He was shot down in he's F86 during Korea and landed the Sabre Jet on the enemies beach.  He was hospitalize because of back injuries but was back flying missions after 3 months after being shot down.  Luther has been my aviation mentor for the past 15 years and feel so lucky to have met him.  As someone mention above it won't be long until they're all gone.  Another great story I like to tell about Luther is after WW2 he ferried P-38's from Georgia to California.  At the time he bought a new P-38 with 4 spare superchargers for $800.  He said a few year later he sold the p38 to a women for $2500.  She raced it in California.   

Here in Kerrville, there is a VA Hospital. That brings/brought veterans, to retire, in the area. I have P-51, F-4U, P38, B-17 and B-24 pilots come into the restaurants all the time. It is sadly getting fewer and further between in my contact with them, but they love to talk their tales. Most are not as lucid as the gentleman that video though.

Thanks for the link.

David

52 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Here in Kerrville, there is a VA Hospital. That brings/brought veterans, to retire, in the area. I have P-51, F-4U, P38, B-17 and B-24 pilots come into the restaurants all the time. It is sadly getting fewer and further between in my contact with them, but they love to talk their tales. Most are not as lucid as the gentleman that video though.

Thanks for the link.

David

I am not as lucid as the gentleman in the video . .lol

• Like 1

My dad, who passed 3 years ago, flew a B-24 in China with the Flying Tigers. I have his jacket, and all flight training records. These guys had very little training to be flying these massive birds in combat. Listening to him, these guys were truly the greatest generation and they are missed. He is obviously where my love of flight came from, and with my son flying now, we are three generations of pilots. I hope he is proud.

• Like 4

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Guys, my intention is not to hijack this post but I think some of you might enjoy this video as well. I am honored to call Jack a friend and was delighted that he was willing to share his story on camera. He is currently 94 and just last year sold his Cherokee 235.

Enjoy...

• Like 2