Nice '67E

Been looking for a similar Mooney for some time.  While this plane shows well in its pictures, and has an expensive GPS/AP, basically I see this airplane as over-priced (given comparible offerings that have come up recently). 

From one buyer's point of view, I personally would not pay $54K for a plane with the expectation to put another $25K onto the firewall in the next few years. If i wanted to place that kind of money (75k+) into a Mooney I'd buy a 20J instead.

Quote: KLRDMD

There are only a couple of things I don't like about the one you referenced. One is the three bladed prop. In general, three bladed props have more vibration than two bladed ones and in general the three blades suffer in cruise by a few knots. The other is the engine time is very near TBO (and the prop time is high too).

If you're looking at that one, also consider this 1966 E that a friend of mine has for sale.

Quote: smitty9006

I don't mind the panel or the prop as much as the engine time. What would be a fair price for a plane like this? If it could be bought right, with a new engine in a couple of years, it would be a  really nice plane.

A little late to this thread, but for what it's worth, I actually went flying in this airplane when I was looking. The owners seems to be a very honest and straight forward guy. This plane is absolutely spotless! I mean this in the sense that it is polished and clean. It also has very, very nice original interior plastic. I seriously, seriously doubt you would find corrosion anywhere on this plane. You can eat off the underside. The pictures don't lie, it does look like that in person and it is original paint (with some touch up)

It flys great as it should and the owner keeps amazing records on the plane. He has owned it a long time (can't remember how long, but over a decade) and has very detailed records, not only on the usual logs, but oil annalysis and flight logs that include oil consumption, fuel burn, temperatures and everything else for every flight. This plane is no hanger queen either. He really flys it places.

IMO, it is worth a bit more than most vintage Mooneys with similar equipment because of the condition and records. If you are looking for a good solid vintage Mooney that you don't plan to mod much, I would seriously consider this plane. If you really are looking for a 201 on a beer budget (my situation) then you might want to keep looking because it is nearly bone stock except the avionics and will cost a lot to mod.

I seriously considered this plane. The high time motor and the cost of all the things I wanted to do to it kept me away in the end. Again though, anybody out there that doesn't want to do a lot of mods and is looking for an amazing, solid original Mooney, this might be your plane.

I hear you and agree with you Dave. Although I have not flown in the plane, I have spoke with the owner. He is a very nice guy and the plane is almost exacly what I am looking for. I am not too concerned about it not having any speed mods and I like the fact that it has been well looked after. I too think that the extensive logs and records warrent a premium. I just can't take on the expense on an overhaul if I pay 50K plus for a plane.

STOP BASHING THREE BLADE PROPS.  Vibration is NOT an issue, PERIOD...(any more than a two blade on the IO-360 engine) Climb is documented as IMPROVED over a two blade.  Speed reduction...minimal...expense to overhaul...higher, it has 3 blades.  Weight penalty...yes it has another blade.  I'll race any F with my E any time.

Any IA's out there reading this post?  Any articles showing vibration as an issue with "3 blades on a 4 cylinder" whether Hartzell or Macaulley?  I not only DON'T concur with your assessment Ken I think you are generalizing here and should NOT be stating this as fact without quoting from a specific reference.  I HAVE flown in two blade Mooney's and I FLY a 3-blade MaCaulley, what I do find is that my climb is SUPERIOR (rate) and the vibration signature at full power (in climb and cruise) while subjective is a NON-issue...Either give me some specific references or STOP stating that 3-blade props have a high "vibration" signature.