New Aspen Install

bhilgy

Inspired by some of the recent Aspen questions to share my own decision and process:

I purchased my M20J MSE in April knowing that the AI was on a short leash with over 2200 hours on the original.  I bought it "right" knowing that I would be upgrading to Aspen or equivalent.  I did some additional research and most advice pointed me to the Aspen as the most cost effective option, given that I was committed to my existing 530 for GPS/Comm,etc. and my combination of Stratus/iPad and yoke mounted Garmin 496 with XM Weather for dual weather sources.

I booked my install for September on August 21st and took off for a long cross country with a buddy on August 22nd.  40 minutes into our 4 hour flight the AI went out!  How's that for timing!  Hand flew our trip there and back and stayed VMC!

We'll she's been in the shop for a couple weeks now and I'm told she'll be ready by next Wednesday or so. The whole process will have taken just over 3 weeks.

Here's some details on my decisions and changes:

Evolution PFD1000

EA100 for Roll Steering (I had roll steering slaved to 530 and love shooting approaches with the sett-up...only simplified through PFD!)

Wanted flush mounting so cutting a new panel allowing me to also move the Engine monitor to the ADF location

Installed Fuel flow to the JPI and connecting to 530

Hard wiring the 496 to the 530 (couldn't do it without taking out the 530)

Attaching some progress pictures.....seeing her torn down is like getting a picture of your open heart surgery (I assume!).....Eeek!

post-12308-0-91391400-1411681142_thumb.jpost-12308-0-26853700-1411681145_thumb.jpost-12308-0-13184600-1411681088_thumb.jpost-12308-0-12979800-1411681090_thumb.jpost-12308-0-87404900-1411681577_thumb.j

• Like 3

Haha! Exactly!! I sent you an email get back to me when you can.

I couldn't bear to look at the pics of my aluminum mistress all gutted back in 2005 when I did a panelectomy. I destroyed them hoping the memory of it would vanish. I was sure she would never fly again after I received the pics, but fortunately, Tim Matheson is a wizard and really did a fantastic install. Everything was perfect from the get go. 

I just tried to find a pic of my carnage from earlier this summer, but they're at home on the camera and not on my phone.  I had EVERYTHING between the bottom of my panel and the floor removed... as in big gaping hole with the nose gear visible from inside the cabin.  It's been fun... or at least I keep telling myself that.

Bill, I've got a salvage '81 J that I've been dismantling... I cannot believe the amount of wiring involved in our little planes.  This one had a KFC 200, KCS 55, KI256 system in it, and some huge wire bundles running down the left side as you're fully aware.  I bet the harness weighs 30-40 lbs.  I haven't extricated the entire thing yet.

• 2 weeks later...

post-12308-0-58407500-1412783297_thumb.jNew panel in flight.  Only issue yet to resolve is the KAP150 is not capturing glideslope on any approach.  Blows right through it. Heading back to shop for additional software from Aspen on Monday and hoping it isn't a AP issue.  Anyone have experience or suggestions??

attachicon.gifIMG_1731.jpgNew panel in flight.  Only issue yet to resolve is the KAP150 is not capturing glideslope on any approach.  Blows right through it. Heading back to shop for additional software from Aspen on Monday and hoping it isn't a AP issue.  Anyone have experience or suggestions??

Does it capture GS on NAV2?

Great Question, PTK.  We actually tried it from the box signal simulator at the shop and couldn't get that to work either but haven't tried from flight....I'm concerned it's an AP issue that's going to cost some $$.

It's your install most likely. There are only a few connections between the aspen and autopilot. If your NAV/COM is capturing GS and displaying correctly on the Aspen then if it is hooked up your autopilot should be getting the info. Your avionics shop should be able to fix it.

You were correct, Bill!

The shop took a look at it appears that the digital to analog converter (EA-100) isn't working properly.  Aspen is shipping a new one out.

On another note, I was getting intermittent porpoising out of the autopilot....new after the Aspen install.  This is a known issue to Aspen and they call it "Yoke Bump".  A software upgrade appears to have eliminated the problem.  Curious if any other Aspen owners have experienced this.

Including a picture of my new Aspen recording an awesome tailwind and 206kts ground in cruise!!!

post-12308-0-09102100-1413385057_thumb.j

You were correct, Bill!

The shop took a look at it appears that the digital to analog converter (EA-100) isn't working properly. Aspen is shipping a new one out.

On another note, I was getting intermittent porpoising out of the autopilot....new after the Aspen install. This is a known issue to Aspen and they call it "Yoke Bump".

This doesn't surprise me one iota! Aspen has lots of experience shipping out boxes to replace broken ones. They do it often.

What do they call their pfd going blank? "Red X blanky" ?! :lol:

Now Scott, that was a major foul! That is not my nickname. That's contrived by Chris. It's a figment of his imagination.

I never called the GNS "the worst thing ever" as I never said that about Aspen! It is Chris who was complaining about Garmin not too long ago! I own the GTN and has been flawless.

Fact is I know and have heard of more people with Aspen issues than any other piece of avionics. Anyone can call avionics shops and ask their opinions. Aspens are good capable boxes. There are just a lot more instances of them breaking down, that's all. Nothing against Aspen or pro Garmin about that!

I was just asking what name they have for blank screens since they have "yoke bump" when the EA-100 breaks.

• Like 1

PTK, you used to bash the ever-lovin' crap out of the 430/530 series boxes, and to a lesser extent Garmin, until you decided to jump in with your panel upgrade and now Garmin can do no wrong!  I just want to point out to newer readers here that you had a "conversion" in the last couple of years, and that it might taint your view of companies not named Garmin.  That is the only reason I posted.   B) (I tried to search the archives here, but the great crash of 2012 seems to have wiped out your pre-upgrade posts so I cannot quote an example unfortunately)

FWIW, I'm concerned about the number of Aspen failures I read about as that is penciled-in as my next big upgrade for 2015.  Equally concerning is the lack of replacement units on the shelf to support AOG owners!  They need to take care of that yesterday, and work on the MTBF issues.  Honestly, I'd rather have a G3 but our benevolent gov't won't allow it currently.  I do not want a G500 at all.  

Garmin needs some real competition.  A lot of us are torn between supporting such competitors to keep the marketplace innovative and value-conscious, and going with the "safe" choice.  And this is from an owner with a GMA-340, GNS-530W, GNS-430W, and GTX-330ES currently installed.

• Like 1