New Garmin Pilot Synthetic Vision

MooneyBob

No. Just pilot app at this time.

Another feature that would be nice (but not absolutely essential) is to enable Pilot to receive flight plan info from my GTN 750! Much like the 796 can via a data cable.

I don't see this happening though as it would compete with the 796.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpg

You mean like this: http://www.aspenavionics.com/news/aspen-avionics-announces-initial-production-and-shipment-of-connected-pilot/

Oops, it's an Aspen product that downloads flight plans into the Garmin products.

• Like 1

I don't regard it as convenient necessarily to enter a flight plan on an ipad and then upload it onto a panel mount!

On the contrary, it's an unnecessary distraction and nuisance.

I'd rather enter it directly on my certified panel mount.

I don't play with the iPad when I fly. This encourages just that!

That's why I keep a surgically clean panel and cockpit.

• Like 1

I don't regard it as convenient necessarily to enter a flight plan on an ipad and then upload it onto a panel mount!

Wow Peter, you certainly amaze me. Who says anything about entering a flight plan on your iPad in flight? The whole idea of ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot and all the rest is for you to sit in the comfort of your home and do the flight planning before you go to the airport and manually load it in your certified navigator.

The Aspen Connected Pilot is designed to automate that process by quickly uploading your ForeFlight flight plan that you prepared on the ground into your certified navigator. It sounds like you would rather sit there with the engine running or radio master on and plug in 10 legs of a flight, one painful keystroke at a time.

If you used Aspen's Connected Pilot you can rest assured that once you upload the flight plan, you can put your iPad away in your surgically clean cockpit before you go fly.

...The whole idea of ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot and all the rest is for you to sit in the comfort of your home and do the flight planning before you go to the airport and manually load it in your certified...It sounds like you would rather sit there with the engine running or radio master on and plug in 10 legs of a flight, one painful keystroke at a time.

I don't think flight planning works well "from the comfort of your home" and I don't care for it!

That's for grandmas buying carpet maybe but certainly not for flight planning!

You do realize that the Air Gizmo docks are "temporary" and that electronics placed in them are not considered to be "mounted" or "installed", right? No matter how you attach your Garmin X95/X96 or any tablet, they are still unapproved portable electronics?

As for receiving a different clearance than expected, what is more difficult to do while warming up your engine? [Mine is generally warm enough after taxiing that I don't sit around and wait on it any.]

1. Enter your entire flight plan into your 750.
  2. Change the first one or two points of your not-as-anticipated clearance in the flight plan you downloaded from your tablet?

Of course, if your flights are like mine, almost always direct here-to-there, Option #1 is not difficult.

In the meantime, please continue to enjoy the Kool-Aid. But please, do your flight planning at home! Trying to figure out your route, distance and time while sitting in the cockpit with the engine running is not best practice. My flights often cover two sectionals and sometimes four low enroutes. Direct, too.  :D   The joys of being away from busy, crowded airspace.

• Like 2

Latex or Vinyl?...Gloves that is, while flying...

• Like 1

I updated to the latest version and wish Gramin would keep things consistent between releases. After entering a new test flight plan, my finger danced up to the Menu button where I usually select "Activate Flight Plan", which was previously at the bottom of the list. Now the last entry is "File Flight Plan" which is what I was doing by mistake all night, resulting in a several flight plans being filed with an acknowledgment being sent back to the iPad with the assigned routing.

Other than that, I like what I see.

I was nicely surprised today after I have updated my Garmin Pilot App. They added a synthetic vision feature that looks very nice on the iPad. Can't wait to fly it tomorrow.

I really like the Pilot app since I started to use it a year ago. They made a huge progress and added a lot of useful features. Together with traffic, weather, terrain and other bells and whistles it became a really nice back up tool in the cockpit.

Bob

M20J

Hi Bob,

That is beautiful.

Can you say: is this app capable of showing that beautiful SVT display split screen and a plate or a chart on another half of the screen simultaneously?

Thanks,

Erik

Hi Bob,

That is beautiful.

Can you say: is this app capable of showing that beautiful SVT display split screen and a plate or a chart on another half of the screen simultaneously?

Thanks,

Erik

I don't think so. There is no detail manual provided, but I don't see any option like that in the menus.

You can split the navigation screen and use second half for the panel with backup AI or plates or safe taxi or weather or many more information.

I have flown first time today with it and it is nice as you can see your runway on the screen on take off and all other terrain details as you fly around. I have never seen glass panel before as I am fresh pilot with a fresh plane so this is very cool and more important very helpful for me. Maybe one day I will drop $50k into the panel upgrade but for now it's enough for me. It costs close to nothing.

• Like 2

Fly safely my friend...

You are packing a fair amount of excess on in a short amount of time.

New 2 U equipment in challenging weather conditions...

Just an old concerned guy looking out for you,

-a-

Thank you.

I am still flying with my instructor as I am just getting familiar with the plane and everything else. I don't pay to much attention to the new gadgets even they are in the plane. I am focusing on the fundamentals in close proximity of the airport. Today I did Xwind landings only since the conditions where almost perfect - 90 degrees cross wind 15 knots gusting 22. Good practice. Two forced go arounds.

• Like 1

I updated to the latest version and wish Gramin would keep things consistent between releases. After entering a new test flight plan, my finger danced up to the Menu button where I usually select "Activate Flight Plan", which was previously at the bottom of the list. Now the last entry is "File Flight Plan" which is what I was doing by mistake all night, resulting in a several flight plans being filed with an acknowledgment being sent back to the iPad with the assigned routing.

Other than that, I like what I see.

Further to what I said earlier, I flew with the latest version over the weekend and found one change quite unnerving. When pressing the Direct To button, the screen which pops up is now solid black where it used to be light gray and the text which runs along the top of the window where one selects "Search, FPL, Recent, Nearest and User" is now a dark, deep blue which totally clashes with the black, making it impossible to see in sunlight and glare. The previous release that I was using (5.3.1) had the text for these choices surrounded by a 3D graphic which highlighted it and made it stand out, now it's flat text which blends into the black background. Lastly, when selecting "Search", the text in the search box where you enter the destination is dark gray against the black background, making it too extremely difficult to see. 

For an application which prides itself on ease of use, this is a giant step backward. It could easily be solved if Garmin gave the user the ability to customize colors, but I'm not aware of anyway to do that.

• Like 2

Further to what I said earlier, I flew with the latest version over the weekend and found one change quite unnerving. When pressing the Direct To button, the screen which pops up is now solid black where it used to be light gray and the text which runs along the top of the window where one selects "Search, FPL, Recent, Nearest and User" is now a dark, deep blue which totally clashes with the black, making it impossible to see in sunlight and glare. The previous release that I was using (5.3.1) had the text for these choices surrounded by a 3D graphic which highlighted it and made it stand out, now it's flat text which blends into the black background. Lastly, when selecting "Search", the text in the search box where you enter the destination is dark gray against the black background, making it too extremely difficult to see. 

For an application which prides itself on ease of use, this is a giant step backward. It could easily be solved if Garmin gave the user the ability to customize colors, but I'm not aware of anyway to do that.

My fingers danced too...luckily I hit the speed brakes, they deployed and I didn't file...:) Totally agree. That was a SNAFU by Garmin.

I noticed the same thing this weekend.

post-9886-13932587339393_thumb.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

I think having a mix of solution is helpful. Whatever gets the Job done for the operator!

Flightplan.com will give the actual clearance to you when you file. We use it all the time, it has been different only once in about 5 years...

Not an plug for any of the cooler apps but it's a good service.

-Matt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Garmin Pilot has the same svt visual presentation as in their very expensive G600 and their even more expensive G1000 platforms.

Here it is running while flying at 3k - you see Long Island Sound and beyond Long Island and several lakes in the foreground all aligned just as suggested by the garmin pilot presentation.  

With a traditional steam gauge panel for which you are trained and current, and then certified gps for nav purposes, I figure this little gadget can only be a nice addition for situational awareness enhancement.

post-8059-0-19010900-1395020099_thumb.jp

post-8059-0-06597500-1395020296_thumb.jp

When do you guys have time to look out the window?  :-) :-) I count 6 navigation presentations and 3 horizon presentations, am I wrong?  :-) 

Flight plan at home? All we ever did on the airline was get the clearance and input it into the FMC once. Line item changes after that. 

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I did fly a Low Frequency LF approach once! Dee Dah -Dee Dah -Dee Dah

Yes I'm jealous, but I'd have more in avionics than airframe. 

When do you guys have time to look out the window?  :-) :-) I count 6 navigation presentations and 3 horizon presentations, am I wrong?  :-) 

Flight plan at home? All we ever did on the airline was get the clearance and input it into the FMC once. Line item changes after that. 

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I did fly a Low Frequency LF approach once! Dee Dah -Dee Dah -Dee Dah

Yes I'm jealous, but I'd have more in avionics than airframe. 

Haha - you missed one of the horizon presentations - looking out the window - that is a "synthetic synthetic vision" presentation.  Dee Dah!

The iPhone in the upper left is entirely passive right now - and I am not (yet) running the gdl393d to allow it to show horizon (traffic and adsb weather).  I was just test driving the 30 day free subscription.

I do have to enter twice the flight plans.  Once on the iPad on the yoke, then separately on the gns430 the panel - which automatically cross fills the garmin 510.  I rarely use the vor nav for anything but practice.  ILS is for just that riding the ils.  That's 5.  Where is the 6th?  You aren't counting the iPhone 5 in my pocket are you?