Does a 530 fit well into a M20E?

ncdmtb

I have a 1964 M20E with the original windscreen. I want to finally retire the Trimble2000 and replace it with either a Garmin 530W or 430W. I am concerned the 530 may not fit so I may need to go with a 430. If the 530 is at the bottom of the stack and need to get on my knees to operate it, I will be better off with a 430. I don't want to sink tons of mooney into the upgrade and redo the whole panel.

What advice can the knowledgable Mooniacs give me?

Thanks,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a 64 E and the panel space is limited.  However you could put a530 in the center with the audio panel above it.  I think there would be enough space for an SL30 below it but not a KX155.  Your second come and XPNDR would need to be off to the left in front of the co-pilot.

Post some pics of your panel for more ideas.

When I did my upgrade I decided that the 530 didn't offer enough features to make the trouble and expense worth it. I wanted all my avionics in the center stack so I would have more flexibility on the right side.

I really like the combination of radios I have in my C. That, paired with an iPad and I've never wanted for a 530 or anything more

• Like 2

So it does sound like the 530 doesn't make that much sense.

When comparing the 430W with a 650, is the 650 worth the $3k more? I don't want to sink a ton of mooney into my Mooney that I will not be able to recoup when selling. Keep in mind my plane is a 64 M20E.

So it does sound like the 530 doesn't make that much sense.

When comparing the 430W with a 650, is the 650 worth the $3k more? I don't want to sink a ton of mooney into my Mooney that I will not be able to recoup when selling. Keep in mind my plane is a 64 M20E.

you will never recoup that money, but having a certified GPS is nice, especially if you are instrument rated.  It will also make your plane a heckuva lot easier to sell when the time comes.  You will get some of your investment back, but only a portion.

In view of the prices these days for a used 530W I will definetly go for a 530W. Besides the larger screen it has screen modes not available on the 430W. Because of the larger screen there is less zooming required, specially during approach. The flight plan and frequency list are much longer so you can see everything at glance. Shown on the picture above the arc compass card over the map page (not available on the 430W) is a nice feature for doing approaches or just for steering. It can be used as a backup if you loose your DG. You can get a good used 530W for about $8K to $10K.

José  

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Maybe a stupid question: with my current set-up with the Trimble2000 I have an annunciator that also takes up panel space. If I go with a 530W do I still need that? I didn't see one in the picture above.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Maybe a stupid question: with my current set-up with the Trimble2000 I have an annunciator that also takes up panel space. If I go with a 530W do I still need that? I didn't see one in the picture above.

You do not need the annunciator if the 530W is installed in the center stack. The 530W has its own annunciator on the left side of the screen. 

José

• Like 1

You do not need the annunciator if the 530W is installed in the center stack. The 530W has its own annunciator on the left side of the screen. 

José

Jose is right.  I forget the exact rule, but as long as it's within a certain distance from the pilot, a separate annunciator isn't required.

Jose is right.  I forget the exact rule, but as long as it's within a certain distance from the pilot, a separate annunciator isn't required.

If I remember correctly, it is 15 degrees (or roughy 12 inches) from the pilot's line of sight. It primarily impacted those planes without a center avionics stack, like the Beech's with a throw-over yoke.

The 530 fits just fine in the centre stack. I have a 530 and a 430, and there is plenty of space left.

Here's a link to a picture: http://n822e.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/p1010431.jpg

Wow!! I like your panel, very well layout. You could not have done better with a GTN750 (too big). Dual NAV/COM/GPS with moving maps. I also like what you did with the old engine instrument cluster. Very well done, congratulations.

José

Thanks José. A lot of thought went into it, and I was lucky to have two extremely skilled (and nice!) people to make it reality - Scott Royal, my A&P/IA whose work is second to none, and Dan Boillard, an excellent avionics tech. It's a shame I had to keep the ADF needle, but it keeps the European bureaucrats happy.

• Like 1

The purpose of having the annunciators in front of the pilot is a reminder to turn when you get to the waypoint.

Having an Aspen and GPSS in front of the pilot may qualify as an annuciator, no?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, all of the annunciations show up on the Aspen. But in a Mooney, it is a non-issue. I just happened to help some Baron owner with this recently ;)

• Like 1

This is the panel in the C i've just put a deposit on...  You'll notice the 530W right in the middle.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/MOONEY-M20C/1964-MOONEY-M20C/1310233.htm

Congratulations it is a good deal, well equipped. I noticed that it has the old traffic sensor ATD-200. You can upgrade to the new ATD-300+ Traffic-Watch that fits exactly on the same spot and shows traffic on the 530. Check http://www.monroyaero.com/ATD300V10.pdf.

José

• Like 1