Check your landing gear closely!!!

It couldn't happen twice right?  Wrong!

I posted previously about my nose gear collapsing on my first mooney during taxi for takeoff during a cross country trip.  The FAA and NTSB determined the gear snapped in three places and was outside of my control to prevent the gear from collapsing.  That happened on May 14, my birthday.  Happy birthday to me.

Today is another birthday celebration and again, I had my nose gear collapse on taxi.  I bought my 2nd mooney in July, have put over 100 hours on the plane and had just got the plane out of annual ($3700 annual to include $1100 prop repair!!!) last Thursday.  I've had 4 flights since then.  I flew into the airport on Monday, taxied to parking, did a 180 turn, parked it and returned this morning for a cross country flight for family.  After thorough pre-flight (had to wipe off morning dew from wings), started up, made left turn for taxi way and got about 100 yards before the front nose gear collapsed.  This time the main landing gear stayed intact.  I'm furious!!!  How could this happen a 2nd time identical to the first?  Land, taxi to parking, all ok on shutdown and then collapse on taxi the next flight?  I thoroughly check the J-Bar after reading all the issues involved.  I'm starting to think there is an issue with aging?    

The previous collapsed caused the left main to collapse and left wings severely damaged which totalled the aircraft.  Today, the only issues are a prop strike, air filter and nose gear door on the ground.  Much less damage.  Hopefully it'll just get new prop, engine inspection and new front gear.

Please, have your nose gear closely inspected because this could be a much more serious issue starting to come out!  

Merry Christmas from a frustrated pilot.

I'd find an experienced Mooney mechanic. Sorry to hear bout your misfortune. I manage maintenance activities for utility contractor. We have many mechanics and I can assure you all mechanics are not created equal.

+1

I would be having a long talk with Don Maxwell if my nose gear collapsed while taxiing. It could happen, but I consider the odds pretty low with Don taking care of my aircraft, I don't really worry about it.

Sure, any A&P is legal, and can read all they want to about Mooneys, and have years of experience, but an experienced Mooney mechanic will know exactly what to check and how.

Two separate planes, two different states, two different mechanics.

I called mechanic who stated preloads were within limits. I flew for 4 hours over three trips after my annual this month.

I meticulously check jbar on landing after the first plane issue. I called buddy who has mooney in annual and told to have nose gear replaced! What are the odds I'd have this happen?

I taxied after landing and parked plane. Two days later I taxi for takeoff and nose collapses just like first plane!!! I am still in disbelief. This has been a solid plane so far with great handling and good instruments. I hope insurance repairs plane and doesn't salvage it. I've got a fresh annual on this plane, fresh ifr cert so I don't want to lose the plane! Now I get to tell the ntsb that this has happened again. Insert really angry words.

• Like 1

I called mechanic who stated preloads were within limits. I flew for 4 hours over three trips after my annual this month.

I meticulously check jbar on landing after the first plane issue. I called buddy who has mooney in annual and told to have nose gear replaced! What are the odds I'd have this happen?

I taxied after landing and parked plane. Two days later I taxi for takeoff and nose collapses just like first plane!!! I am still in disbelief. This has been a solid plane so far with great handling and good instruments. I hope insurance repairs plane and doesn't salvage it. I've got a fresh annual on this plane, fresh ifr cert so I don't want to lose the plane! Now I get to tell the ntsb that this has happened again. Insert really angry words.

You don't have to tell the NTSB anything. FAA either.

• Like 3

John,

That's got to be about as frustrating as anything in aviation - Sorry to hear you've had to endure it a second time!

It is odd it would happen to you on a completely different airplane. I think talking to a MSC - Don Maxwell is EXCELLENT - might be a good idea. I have called Don on a number of occasions and he always takes the time to discuss whatever issues I bring up. If this is a trend you'd be doing the Mooney community a real service by reporting this. At a minimum you'll get the low down on why it happened and how to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Best of luck getting back in the air.

If anyone else is in the Norfolk, Virginia area - go take this guy flying!!

Dave

I'm no longer in VA. I'm in MS. My friend has already offered his piper 180 until I get resolution.

I'm putting in the claim today and reviewed ntsb reporting requirements and it seems that this is not reportable.

I don't think the insurance company will be happy with me after two issues in one year!

My heart really goes out to you. I'm not sure I would be handling it as well as you are at this point. Somehow you seem to be very lucky, but are failing to channel the luck in the right direction? Until you get this channelling issue straightened out, I would buy all the insurance I could get.

On a 50 year old airplane , this should not come as a surprise, these airplanes need very thorough and specific maintenance , the biggest surprise is with the lack of thorough maintenance they keep on working. One more reason to visit your local Mooney Service Center, lower insurance rates for everyone.  This is not meant to criticize any mechanic , he may have been very thorough , Maybe pilot error.  It may be your lucky day, engine IRAN and prop replacement...Nothing to be sorry about, till the new insurance bill comes.

Mechanic is out of Hattiesburg ms. Very knowledgeable. He stated he did pre load check and gear was within limits.

Insurance adjuster said with new prop and engine tear down, they are going to financially total the plane.

My problem is I no longer trust mooney for safety due twice having same issue. I love the speed but don't trust it on the ground!

The odds of two such sad events happening in such a short period is astronomical. Some otherwise excellent mechanics have neither the correct tools nor the Mooney specific knowledge to do proper pre-load checks.

Very unfortunate, but I don't believe the fault was with two separate Mooney's in one year.

• Like 3

In all fairness, it is true that Mooneys take a bit of specialized attention to stay healthy and function properly. Excellent mechanics with lots of brand B,C, and P aircraft experience may occasionally have a few air pockets in their Mooney expertise. As Mooney owners, it is incumbent upon us to pick and choose wisely. And woe to those that do a bit too much DIY trying to save a buck.

As they say, you makes your picks, and you takes your chances.

• Like 2

Mechanic is out of Hattiesburg ms. Very knowledgeable. He stated he did pre load check and gear was within limits.

Insurance adjuster said with new prop and engine tear down, they are going to financially total the plane.

My problem is I no longer trust mooney for safety due twice having same issue. I love the speed but don't trust it on the ground!

There is so much more to check other than the preloads on a properly rigged gear. With it falling to the ground as you described, it can only be one of a couple of things. 1) something broke (very unlikely) 2) something in the gear train was not in spec. and should have been replaced/repaired. While I am not pointing fingers at your A$P, I am pointing fingers at Don Maxwell and Paul Lowen and Jason Boescher and Tom Rousch et al to have your gear mechanism looked at by. These guys know what to look for and can fix worn, (lets face it, a C model has old legs) tired parts that cause uncommanded gear collapses on the runway that your non specialized, albeit great, A$P might not suspect. I truly am sorry for your luck, and will be even more sorry when this loss is spread to every mooney owners insurance costs. This type of thing can be prevented with good maintenance. Sorry to be so candid, but sometimes its necessary so that others may take heed and avoid having their plane totaled because of, well, their choices.

• Like 3