Continuing with the interior upgrades theme....

We've had a lot of discussion about upgrades to our interiors on older birds and I haven't seen this issue discussed.  What have ya'll done to polish up, paint, or just clean the Johnson Bar and chrome flap pump handle.  My J-bar looks like someone used it for a car jack handle.  Not necessarily beat up, but just plain ugly.  The flap pump handle's chrome is in the same shape with small rust pits in the chrome.  I'm afraid they will stick out like a sour thumb when everything else looks good. 

Don

you can put your aircraft up on jacks for a few days, pull the johnson bar to re do the chrome and paint, I actually masked off the interior while my plane was on jacks, released lock to gain full access, cleaned and repainted it in the aircraft. the chrome still had issues but the bar itself looked nice.

brian

Take a look at my gallery pictures:  Johnson bar - powdercoated black, J bar and flap handles chromed.  New wheel well cover.

John Breda

I suppose you removed JBar and flap lever and sent them off for re-chrome and powder coating? Approx cost? Time? 

This discussion led me to give something a try. I have just ordered some 1-3/4" diameter black heat shrink tubing. This will be large enough to fit over the entire johnson bar easily. It is a heavy duty version and comes in 4 ft. lengths. I should get it within a week or so and then will see how it works out and post. Since I don't yet have a pair of jacks, working on that too, I plan to take her up and slide it over the bar then land and finish the heat shrinking etc. It has too look better than what it looks like now. We'll see.

Tom

• Like 1

John Brenda, powder coating sounds like the way to get a tough finish that should last a long time. I know the Feds frown on powder coating yokes because of the heat involved. Did you get your powder coating for the JBar "blessed" by anyone?

We have a shop that does PC near by and I could probably take them my bar while the plane is in annual at the end of the month.