Landing Gear Annunciator

I have an M20e that is relatively new to me.

With the gear down the Green annunciator light is lit, floor indicator indicates that the gear is down (green along side green). After take off when I retract the gear the green annunciator goes out, the green along side of green (on the floor) goes away, however the red Gear Unsafe light stays lit until I again lower the gear. My understanding is that it is expected that this light be lit while gear is retracting but then extinguishes during flight. Is my assumption correct? Your insights, observations, advice on trouble shooting/repair (if needed) please.

Best regards,

Jonathan Bodine

Jonathan, I have a 66E with the johnson bar - I have lights only on my panel. Note sure what you are referring to on the floor. With the gear down, the green light is on. The red light is always on whenever the gear is up. Hope that helps.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Mine is a 1971 M20e with hydraulic gear. When the gear is fully down there is an indicator on the floor where two green bars align. This is a positive visual indication that the gear is down. The green annunciator light on the panel is On as well when the gear is down. Nonetheless this is akin to what is often referred to as an "idiot" on an automobile. As for the Red Gear Unsafe annunciator, it is on the panel below the Green light. It comes on when the gear is retracted. It stays on until the gear is again extended. I thought it would be lighted while the gear was being retracted but off during cruise flight. If, as suggested in the replies so far, this light should be on except when the gear is fully down then mine is working properly. If not, I need a little help troubleshooting and fixing the problem.

Again thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience.

Best regards,

Jonathan Bodine

the 1977 electric gear "gear unsafe" light is only on when it is in transit.  A friend's M20G "gear unsafe" light is on when the gear is not down and locked. His also has the newer ITT actuator.  I wonder when they changed it.

I have a 74 C model with electric gear.

Green light/green stripe aligned: gear down.

Amber light: gear up.

However, in one of the C POH's I downloaded, it specifies a red light as an "in-transit" (unsafe) indication. My electric gear installation has no red light at all, so I presume there are different indication iterations depending on your year, model, serial number.

What's your POH say?

• Like 1

I have a 74 C model with electric gear.

Green light/green stripe aligned: gear down.

Amber light: gear up.

However, in one of the C POH's I downloaded, it specifies a red light as an "in-transit" (unsafe) indication. My electric gear installation has no red light at all, so I presume there are different indication iterations depending on your year, model, serial number.

What's your POH say?

We can conjecture all day, mooneymite is right, it's the POH for this plane that should tell us the truth. Here is the page from my POH. A 1975 F.

post-9886-13673260681988_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another plug for the audible (in headset) gear annunciator install.  Swung gear on my M20E (1966 with Johnson Bar) last week after short flight with wife and honestly CAN NOT say that I had Green on panel.  Gave it a "tug" after locking and it appeared down and locked...on final with power reduction heard "Check Gear", Check Gear!...Unlocked and re-locked and still heard check gear...had no green light...Executed a go round and retracted/extended gear.  Green light...NO audible gear alarm.  Landing uneventful.

I believe the gear was NOT QUITE LATCHED HOME...Make sure you have a green light...touch it and say gear down and locked as well as given the J-Bar a tug.  Likely paid for system install with there...

The J-Bar can and will appear locked, but if the microswitch is NOT triggered it is NOT down and locked.  Mine takes just a little turn of handle and push to lock home.  Be careful...

Marauder is right: conjecture is just that. On further investigation (referral to The Gospel according to Mooney: the POH for my craft): "...GEAR UP) shows continuously when the gear is fully retracted.". This is the way the indicators in my plane work therefore mine must be working per design. Sorry for the inconvenience of this question but thanks for the lively discussion and insights relative to the range ways various different planes work.

Best regards,

Jonathan Bodine

Marauder is right: conjecture is just that. On further investigation (referral to The Gospel according to Mooney: the POH for my craft): "...GEAR UP) shows continuously when the gear is fully retracted.". This is the way the indicators in my plane work therefore mine must be working per design. Sorry for the inconvenience of this question but thanks for the lively discussion and insights relative to the range ways various different planes work. Best regards, Jonathan Bodine
That's why we are all here Jonathan! To learn and to share. Glad you were able to sort it out.

Another plug for the audible (in headset) gear annunciator install. Swung gear on my M20E (1966 with Johnson Bar) last week after short flight with wife and honestly CAN NOT say that I had Green on panel. Gave it a "tug" after locking and it appeared down and locked...on final with power reduction heard "Check Gear", Check Gear!...Unlocked and re-locked and still heard check gear...had no green light...Executed a go round and retracted/extended gear. Green light...NO audible gear alarm. Landing uneventful. I believe the gear was NOT QUITE LATCHED HOME...Make sure you have a green light...touch it and say gear down and locked as well as given the J-Bar a tug. Likely paid for system install with there... The J-Bar can and will appear locked, but if the microswitch is NOT triggered it is NOT down and locked. Mine takes just a little turn of handle and push to lock home. Be careful...
Scott -- what system do you have and does it work with the electrical gear setup?

http://www.flyingsafer.com/2040.htm

This is what I installed.  Works fantastic.  I enjoy hearing the voice saying "stall" in the flare...

The unit has sounded three times for gear...

Pretty cheap protection from two BIG gotchas...

Perhaps insurance companies shall offer a discount for those who get this installed? This would motivate people to put it in.

Yves

• 4 weeks later...

The J-Bar can and will appear locked, but if the microswitch is NOT triggered it is NOT down and locked.  Mine takes just a little turn of handle and push to lock home.  Be careful...

I will also add that on a J-bar gear, just because the green light is on does NOT mean the gear is locked. The relationship between the handle being locked in the socket is changed by bending the tang of the switch. It may or may not be dialed in carefully so that the light goes on just as it's locked. Mine isn't. I messed around with it during the inspection when it was up on jacks. You can put the handle into the block just far enough to trigger the green light but it's not actually locked.

What you say is also definitely true--if the light is red, it is definitely NOT locked.

After gear is down and locked, I push down on the handle at least twice more before I touch down to make sure it's secure.

Craig Steffen

I don't even look at my green light; I use my fingernail against the johnson bar. 

As far as the red light goes, and I would assume that the lights on the '71 are the same as my '67's, I always twist it to close the iris after I pull the gear up. When I start my final descent/approach, I turn it back on so I don't get complacent with a red light shining in my face in flight.