Pre-65 models?

Tom

I suppose we can assume that the prices we see for the various "fast build" kit aircraft are high enough to sustain production and provide their sellers with enough profit to make them happy.  However, what is the premium for having a certified, non-expiremental aircraft?  Are there production processes that must meet certification requirements?  Are a significant portion of what we view as markup (at least in regards to this thread) purely markup or are there hidden costs for producing certified aircraft?  For the sake of argument, let's assume Mooney Corp has already recovered the development costs associated with the production of the 20J, what is an accurate cost to manufacture?

There's no way that it'd cost more to make them now then when every fabricated piece was drilled and riveted by hand and every machined part had a guy turning handles. In equal volume.

My 66 C model cost $23,000 new. That's $150,401 today. Even if you added, say, fifty grand for better avionics, that's still $200k.

A 1979 J model went for $53,000. Oddly enough, that's also $154,596 in today's dollars.

Believe you me, if I could buy a new J for $150k, I wouldn't be flying a 44 year old plane. Even $200k for moderately advanced avionics - a 530, steam gauges, s-tec 30 autopilot, etc. But, would they sell the 250 a year needed to hold those prices?

I don't think anyone here is accusing Mooney of having an exorbitant markup. They're dominated by fixed costs right now. Between hangar, insurance, annual and subscriptions it costs me maybe ten grand a year to own my plane. If I flew four hours a year, my flying would be $2500 an hour. Holy Cow, you'd say, a Mooney costs more to fly than a Citation! Same deal.

I think that we are all dreaming. the demand is not there. Look at the Cirrus Sr 20 vs the SR 22 sales. The 22 has out sold the 20 by 5 to 1. Mooney needs to modernize the construction costs on the hole plane. It can not cost $200,000 extra for a foot longer fuselage and 6 cyl motor with a 3 blade prop, and the G1000 over a cheaper plane.

Look at the Eagle, M20s. buyers do not want a low powered basic equiped plane. How many of these now have the Screaming Eagle kit installed and upgraded avoinics. For a plane with less than 50 built and there are over 10% for sale.

Those of us that can afford a newer plane do. Those of us that fly Vintage Mooneys, do because of the cost.

Many of us slowly put too much money in our Vintage Planes to slowly update them.

There are 94 and 95 Vintage 201 for Sale for 150,000 to 180,000 now. they are selling slowly.

There is 1 F that is for Sale now that has been for Sale for over 4 years now.

Ron with a 69F

Unfortunately the biggest cost in aviation manufacture is the LIABILITY ....  When someone gets killed in an airplane crash , the first to get sued is the manufacturer..If you notice there is a common theme in High performance aircraft , they are all about 400 to 500 K ... About a third of that is a liability policy ,   Thanks to all the lawyers out there....