Cup holder solution?

kmyfm20s

I leave early in the morning to commute to my various offices anywhere from 1 to 3 times a week and I love my coffee in the morning.  I find my self chugging it just prior to jumping into the plane because it is such a hassle having no cup holders. I have used various thermos mugs but those still tend to leak and there is no where to keep them upright and secure when the work load goes up. Anyone have any ideas? I have done the search, so if it has been answered please direct me to the correct thread. Thanks!

Here's my cup holder. It's collapsible when not in use. Works great and it's very convenient.

Here is one example, but there are other sources. Marine suppliers have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Marine-Folding-Drink-Holder/dp/B007ZZGCIW

Good luck!

does it hold up well against the Johnson bar?   :D

Here's my cup holder. It's collapsible when not in use. Works great and it's very convenient.

Good luck!

This is the same type and location that I have in my K.

• Like 1

STC?? :-))
Buy an Ovation 2.

Lol, if requires an STC it would probably be cheaper to sell my "J" and buy an Ovation 2!

Thanks for the recommendation, that will work great. My favorite flight in the morning is an "IFR to VFR on top" of the overcast layer in San Diego. Get on top, pop on the autopilot, sip my coffee and check out all the mountain tops that look like Island in the clouds.

I have a swivelling cup holder (came with the plane) which is attached just above the black vertical area above the fuel selector switch. I will post a picture later. It won't spill during normal manoeuvres.

Here's a website that shows it...

http://www.altrider.com/ram-cup-holder-with-swivel/pid/158

The swivel feature is (ok, should be) unnecessary in a plane. Just ask Mr. Hoover.

I don't fly [intentional] aerobatics. But I do sometimes fly in turbulence, I just don't have a flat spot to mount the dentist's non-swiveling cup holder.

I don't fly [intentional] aerobatics. But I do sometimes fly in turbulence, I just don't have a flat spot to mount the dentist's non-swiveling cup holder.
Have you considered somewhere on the inside of the door Hank?

Have you considered somewhere on the inside of the door Hank?

:-)  That makes me think of...Now the ultimate would be a tank inside the wing with various beverages and straws that lead to each pilot and passenger position with a switch that allows you to choose a beverage of choice.  I am sure that would be inexpensive and could be installed with a simple log book entry.  (Not...).  Sort of the Rube-Goldberg solution to the problem.

Have you tried wide-base travel mug? As I recall, the original concept was that it was for use on boats where the rocking wouldn't tip it over.  I think I first came across one at a boat shop and picked it up for flying. If you haven't seen one, they look like this and generally have a non-skid rubbery base.

pid5385-16_oz._wide_base_plastic_travel_

Good luck!

I have the same one and swear by it. Even though I bought five of them at the time in case they became unavailable, I'm still using the original one because it's a lot more durable than I thought it would be. I have it mounted in the same place as Smiles and it folds up totally flat when not in use. For the price it can't be beat.