Installing aspen pro pfd

Yeah, there must have been a special. The quotes I have received are between $15,500 and $18k for the PFD-1000 Pro installed,

including an EA-100 digital to analog adaptor to drive my KFC-150 autopilot and the ACU-2 analog converter unit to provide heading

data for my WX-950 stormscope.

So the first of a few panel upgrades is complete. WAAS Upgrade, Pro1000 PFD install, autopilot coupling, new L.E.D landing light, removal of an old LORAN system and last but certainly not least aerocomfort leather wrapped yokes..

Planning the next panel upgrade already, 1000MFD, JPI930, stec 55x?...some radio/xponder relocation, and a full panel replacement...

Any of you have suggestion on who to check out for the actual mock up/ cutting of a new 201 panel ?

Thanks,

Marty

post-7751-0-20836400-1354249272_thumb.jp

So the first of a few panel upgrades is complete. WAAS Upgrade, Pro1000 PFD install, autopilot coupling, new L.E.D landing light, removal of an old LORAN system and last but certainly not least aerocomfort leather wrapped yokes..

Planning the next panel upgrade already, 1000MFD, JPI930, stec 55x?...some radio/xponder relocation, and a full panel replacement...

Any of you have suggestion on who to check out for the actual mock up/ cutting of a new 201 panel ?

Thanks,

Marty

More pictures please! I am about a week away from mine being completed. When I saw your picture for a second I thought it was one my avionics shop sent me. Your 1977 J has a very similar interior to my 1975 F. As for the panel question. I think the better avionics shops have the equipment to cut a new panel for you. When I stopped into my shop yesterday, I saw them cutting a new panel for a plane.

My upgrade is a PFD Pro/MFD 1000, Garmin GTN 650 and a PS Engineering 8000BT. I'm interfacing to a STEC 60-2 and an existing Narco 12D+. I had the STEC upgraded to a ST-670 flight director and Aspen is now providing code for full AP functionality during regression (through a switch the shop built for me).

For those asking about pricing, I had a number of quotes done for the Aspen and they all came in within a $1K of each other. And the prices were no where near the $15k prices you guys are talking about. PM me and I will give you the specifics of my quotes. There is an Aspen rebate through the end of the month for the connected panel with the PFD/MFD. Also keep in mind that quotes will vary quite a bit depending on what you want to interface.

I spent a lot of time digging into the details of the upgrade path, so if you have specific questions on hardware configs, I can provide some guidance. My fire hose activity now is taking in all of the new functionality I never had before.

Thanks,

Marty

I just re-read your post. What LED did you install?

I don't have any more pics as of yet..Unfortunately, i'm a few hundred nm's away from Calgary where LWJ is waiting..will post more on the 9th when i pick her up..probably post a vid on my youtube acct.(The201pilot) as well..Not sure of the brand of landing light just yet..Will provide more info on the 9th..

M.

I have the GTN 750, and an Air Gizmo panel mounted 796. I "tap in" the route on the GTN 750 while sitting in the aircraft (usually after playing with my routing options on Foreflight before getting to the airport),. The GTN 750 then cross feeds the route to the 796. Also, I feed XM weather (and music) and ZAON traffic to the 796. This way I can keep the GTN 750 map uncluttered, and still have all the vital data available. This may sound over the top, but I am still considering setting up an iPad mini in a yoke mount, to be able to have a different moving map presentation, (such as IFR Low charts), and because I like Foreflight so much. I have been keeping an iPad 3 on the co-pilot seat, but this is a bit clumsy. I do like Foreflight's Class B rings with altitudes on their Sectionals as it is easier to get the data that way then the two stage process for the GTN 750. My only hesitation at this point is that the Mini's screen is not the Retina display, and I would expect the next iteration of the Mini to both change to the Retinia display, and the faster processor of the iPad 4.

I am planning to replace my 430W (now under the GTN 750) with a GTN 650, as I have really grown to like touch screens and shallow menus. This would provide a reasonably consistent iconic interface between the GTN 759, 650, and the 796. I will keep with Foreflight as I like that software better than Garmin's iPad app.

• Like 1

Sarasota Avionics just quoted me $12,500 for the PFD 1000 installed, and said they had never done one for as cheap as $9,500. I am looking for a good shop to do the installation, preferable in the Rocky Mtn region. Any other recommendations?

Chuck just to be fair to Sarasota, and as stated in my post, they quoted me the $9,500 but would take the DG and the 106A in trade. That lowered the price to the $9,500.00 Since then there has been an additional Aspen rebate. And this was with Sarasota (Kirk Fryer) in Venice. I would only recomend that shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Time for more pictures! Still waiting for some detail work to be finished.

post-9886-0-52114900-1355523865_thumb.jp

For those who are interested in the reversionary feature. If you opt for an MFD 1000, make sure to ask for the autopilot redundancy functionality. These switches are used to migrate full AP functionality over to the MFD from the PFD during reversionary mode. Essentially, the MFD becomes a full function PFD.

post-9886-0-64235500-1355524202_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...
I have the GTN 750, and an Air Gizmo panel mounted 796. I "tap in" the route on the GTN 750 while sitting in the aircraft (usually after playing with my routing options on Foreflight before getting to the airport),. The GTN 750 then cross feeds the route to the 796. Also, I feed XM weather (and music) and ZAON traffic to the 796. This way I can keep the GTN 750 map uncluttered, and still have all the vital data available. This may sound over the top, but I am still considering setting up an iPad mini in a yoke mount, to be able to have a different moving map presentation, (such as IFR Low charts), and because I like Foreflight so much. I have been keeping an iPad 3 on the co-pilot seat, but this is a bit clumsy. I do like Foreflight's Class B rings with altitudes on their Sectionals as it is easier to get the data that way then the two stage process for the GTN 750. My only hesitation at this point is that the Mini's screen is not the Retina display, and I would expect the next iteration of the Mini to both change to the Retinia display, and the faster processor of the iPad 4.

I am planning to replace my 430W (now under the GTN 750) with a GTN 650, as I have really grown to like touch screens and shallow menus. This would provide a reasonably consistent iconic interface between the GTN 759, 650, and the 796. I will keep with Foreflight as I like that software better than Garmin's iPad app.

Let me know how it goes. I am in the process of doing the same. On the iPad mini I have the jeppview software installed.

Oscar