Potential Panel Redo

OSHA's former limit for carbon monoxide was 50 ppm as an 8-hour TWA. The ACGIH has a TLV-TWA of 50 ppm with a TLV-STEL of 400 ppm. NIOSH (1973d/Ex. 1-237) recommends an 8-hour TWA limit of 35 ppm with a 200-ppm ceiling. The proposed PEL and ceiling were 35 ppm and 200 ppm, respectively; NIOSH (Ex. 8-47, Table N1) concurs that these limits are appropriate, and they are established in the final rule. Carbon monoxide is a flammable, colorless, practically odorless gas.

(Above from Web)  Carbon Monoxide IS B.A.D. medicine.  Prevention and detection is key.  If you don't have a CO monitor in addition to smoke detectors in home too...think about cost vs. consequences.  I had many overcome with poor forklift exhausts in winter in large warehouses...a small cockpit at altitude is no place to be overcome...

A pulse oximeter won't show CO issues. CO binds to the red blood cells and "reddens" them like O2, so there's no color difference for the pulse-ox to detect. I wouldn't bother with a panel-mount CO meter, but I do have a battery unit in 48Q. I do get some beeps on the ground and at lower altitude climb, but not at cruise. 

The stick-on chemical dot detectors are worse than useless.  They're slow to react, and don't react at all until the CO concentration is far higher than you should let it get.  I bought a portable electronic detector for around $100 when I bought '48Q, and the sensor is good for 5 years.  It looks like there are some other good options on the market now, so I may get something different when I replace it.  Mine is similar to this one: http://www.aeromedix.com/CO_Experts_Low_Level_Detector_Model_2010.html (but I recall the price being quite a bit lower at the time).

How about home CO detectors? a friend of mine uses one in his Bonanza and says that as far as sensitivity it has tested very well.  He is the technical director of a company that manufactures precision measuring instruments so I imagine that he knows something about the subject.  They can be a bit bulky but I guess they still can be placed somewhere under the panel.

How about home CO detectors? a friend of mine uses one in his Bonanza and says that as far as sensitivity it has tested very well.  He is the technical director of a company that manufactures precision measuring instruments so I imagine that he knows something about the subject.  They can be a bit bulky but I guess they still can be placed somewhere under the panel.

I agree completely with the importance of a CO detector.  I recently had a cracked exhaustpiece replaced - late June.  That crack showed up on my CO detector.

I have this little unit clipped near the visor:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/co300.php

It seems to work.  It can detect the slight variations between taxi (5 to 8ppm) and cruise (generally 2 or less ppm).  Its cheap, light and sticks easily with velcro.

Quote: aviatoreb

I agree completely with the importance of a CO detector.  I recently had a cracked exhaustpiece replaced - late June.  That crack showed up on my CO detector.

I have this little unit clipped near the visor:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/co300.php

It seems to work.  It can detect the slight variations between taxi (5 to 8ppm) and cruise (generally 2 or less ppm).  Its cheap, light and sticks easily with velcro.

• 2 weeks later...