Fuel Boost Pump Useage With Takeoff At Very High OAT?

EricShr

Hi, I'm seeking advise from other Southwest Mooney Ovation owners on how to deal with VERY high cylinder temps on climb out at VERY high OATs (110-115). I have an Ovation 1 that has been converted to 310HP/2700. Fuel flows at takeoff are 27.5Gal/Hr. with GAMI injectors. Runs excellent LOP, idles at 700. At startup runs like crap with boost on and smooths out as soon as pump is switched off. At reasonable OATs, no issues with cylinder temps.

My question is: will adding low boost during the early climb (5-10 minutes) with WOT or even reduced power/RPM add enough /any additional fuel to the cylinders to help mitigate the high cylinder temps? Or is there no or negligible effect?

I have read that adjusting fuel flow to that of the N model engines (31/gal/Hr) is the only method mentioned in other posts. What is the collective opinion? Thanks, Eric

There is no fuel boost pump use in takeoff. Make sure you don’t lean too much on the ground as this will increase CHTs quickly. On takeoff it’s WOT, full fuel, full prop. Keep leaning to maintain EGTs at 1250. If you’re still getting hot, flatten out. Don’t touch mixture prop or throttle until ur at cruise altitude. This is the John Deacon method and I use it all the time. I live in Vegas, hot and high DA’s my CHTs rarely go over 380 in climb. You are adding too much fuel in climb with the boost pump on. and as you climb, your mixture will naturally get richer anyhow. If you are still having issues, you may want to have your baffles checked. Oh, and I also use 100W oil during the hotter months - helps keep the oil temps from spiking.

5 hours ago, EricShr said:

Hi, I'm seeking advise from other Southwest Mooney Ovation owners on how to deal with VERY high cylinder temps on climb out at VERY high OATs (110-115). I have an Ovation 1 that has been converted to 310HP/2700. Fuel flows at takeoff are 27.5Gal/Hr. with GAMI injectors. Runs excellent LOP, idles at 700. At startup runs like crap with boost on and smooths out as soon as pump is switched off. At reasonable OATs, no issues with cylinder temps.

My question is: will adding low boost during the early climb (5-10 minutes) with WOT or even reduced power/RPM add enough /any additional fuel to the cylinders to help mitigate the high cylinder temps? Or is there no or negligible effect?

I have read that adjusting fuel flow to that of the N model engines (31/gal/Hr) is the only method mentioned in other posts. What is the collective opinion? Thanks, Eric

If I remember correctly the fuel flows need to be set higher than Continental shows. @StevenL757 will know the answer.

EDIT: I looked back and Brian Kendrick set my to 29.5 GPH when he did the 310ho on an Ovation I used to have.

Also are you starting with the Boost Pump on?  Or just using it to prime before the start?

3 hours ago, EricShr said:

What's your altitude at take off?

For my Ovation (310HP):

On a Sea level climb KHHR Hawhorne (34ft), I'm 100% Power and 29 GPH.

Departing KHND Henderson (2,490 ft), I'm generating 94% power and 28.7 GPH .

I have every flight complete with engine data uploaded to Flysto and Garmin so these numbers are pretty accurate.

Your fuel flows look a tad low but not that much.

I can't address anything regarding how operating that particular engine may help or not, other than keep the cowl flaps open and watch CHTs.

In general, though, cruise-climbs, or just dropping the nose and climbing at higher airspeeds helps a lot on most airplanes.   Make sure your engine baffling is completely up to snuff, with no big leaks and the baffle gaskets sealing effectively against the cowl.   

Once I got the baffles sorted out on my airplane it's pretty easy to manage temps just with the cowl flaps and climb airspeed, but that's for a 4-cyl Lycoming.

23 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I can't address anything regarding how operating that particular engine may help or not, other than keep the cowl flaps open and watch CHTs.

In general, though, cruise-climbs, or just dropping the nose and climbing at higher airspeeds helps a lot on most airplanes.   Make sure your engine baffling is completely up to snuff, with no big leaks and the baffle gaskets sealing effectively against the cowl.   

Once I got the baffles sorted out on my airplane it's pretty easy to manage temps just with the cowl flaps and climb airspeed, but that's for a 4-cyl Lycoming.

There are no cowl flaps on an Ovation

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricShr said:

It would be helpful to know your full power/full rich take off EGTs. Ideally you want to be 250° ROP or more.