Turbo charged exhaust clamp

I just had mine replaced at annual.  I bought it from RAM aircraft, my part number for my TSIO-360MB was 2172-344.  ramaircraft.com

Give them a call and they will be able to sort the right part number. They have gone up.  Mine was ~700.

I picked up no for the shelf from RAM.

If you tell them it is for a TSIO-360 they will tell you their PMA does not cover the -360s.

That package I got had the same Continental part number as the one listed in the IPC for the -360.

I guess you understand that you're late to the party in responding to the turbo V-band AD of June 2023. If you want to play it straight & legal, the usual parts sources, including Air Power, Aircraft Spruce and Boeing, formerly Aviall, are the places to go for a replacement V-band. Last I heard, no one has any stock, and it's just a matter of getting in line with an order, and they'll get back to you when your order comes up. Sorry, but don't expect to get your hands on a new turbo V-band anytime soon. I placed an order with Air Power for a replacement V-band in June 2023, very soon after the AD came out, and received it this March (2024). It's now happily installed. That replacement was ~$800, and, I'd suggest, worth it, since the old welded Continental V-band has been superceded by a much heavier riveted V-band. My reading of the AD is that that should terminate compliance with the AD.  If anyone is interested in the new part #, I'd be happy to look it up & share. Someone here on Mooneyspace, forgot the author & thread, posted the Continental parts supercedure on this, so I'm 99%+ certain that the new part# is the legal replacement. I haven't been able to figure out Continental's parts supercedure list.

--Paul Keller

Uum, the riveted V-band clamp is a different clamp and is uses on different engines.  And it has a different set of limitations (two re-torques).

FYI, GAMI is working on a replacement that will fully eliminate the AD and SB issues of all the other clamps.  They hope to have them available by the end of the year.  They have prototypes and are now going through the FAA approval process.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 3:50 PM, Pinecone said:

Uum, the riveted V-band clamp is a different clamp and is uses on different engines.  And it has a different set of limitations (two re-torques).

FYI, GAMI is working on a replacement that will fully eliminate the AD and SB issues of all the other clamps.  They hope to have them available by the end of the year.  They have prototypes and are now going through the FAA approval process.

That’s good news, hope the faa gives them the approval 

On 6/11/2024 at 1:50 PM, Pinecone said:

the riveted V-band clamp is a different clamp and is uses on different engines.  And it has a different set of limitations (two re-torques)

I think there is a riveted V-band that’s applicable to TSIO-360’s. The con is that it has retorque limits. The pro is that it’s not 500hr life limited and has no 6month inspection requirements.  These days it seems that the “new” equivalent will be “just around the corner” for an indefinite period. I spoke with GAMI at Osh last year and they already had prototype and we’re waiting on FAA to start production. 

Short of turbo replacement, is there any reason you'd need to disconnect the tailpipe?  It looks like one can drop the exhaust without disturbing the V-Band clamp.

I had a new one put on four years ago when they were easy to get as part of an exhaust o/h. But I'm not sure that had to be done. So the two re-torque limit shouldn't really be a problem.

-dan

21 hours ago, Marc_B said:

I think there is a riveted V-band that’s applicable to TSIO-360’s. The con is that it has retorque limits. The pro is that it’s not 500hr life limited and has no 6month inspection requirements.  These days it seems that the “new” equivalent will be “just around the corner” for an indefinite period. I spoke with GAMI at Osh last year and they already had prototype and we’re waiting on FAA to start production. 

AFAIK the riveted clamp is on the Bravos.

The TSIO-360s use the spot welded clamp.

Last year at Mooney Max, I talked to Frank Crawford about the clamps.  He was trying to get Mooney to make them (they are not complicated), but it seems the bean counters could not see that this could add up to a lot of beans.

FYI, you can get a clamp that looks just like the Continental one from Summit Racing for less than $30. :)

4 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

AFAIK the riveted clamp is on the Bravos.

The TSIO-360s use the spot welded clamp.

The riveted clamp on the Bravo (40D23255-340M) came as a result of the spot welded clamps failing. There were in-flight fires and deaths that resulted. (IMHO all of these clamps whether on Lycoming or Continentals should be required to be riveted. The spot welds fail after numerous heat and cool cycles.) The reason that the clamps are replaced after two re-torques has nothing to do with the rivets, just in an abundance of caution since there were several instances of the previous clamp failing, leading to deaths.

A Service Bulletin, later AD, came out requiring the spot-welded clamp to be replaced with the riveted clamp within 10 hours. Piper who uses a Lycoming TIO-540 in Mirages and Turbo Saratogas with the same clamp went through the same thing around 2010. Mooney’s service bulletin also included a heat shield in front of the firewall which would buy a few more seconds if the tail pipe gave way due to a clamp failure. Also brake lines were re-routed.

https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SBM20-283A.pdf

At annual this year, my MSC installed 670105 (bad pic in package) but it's a riveted clamp.  It appears there are several superseded part numbers.

V_band_clamp.jpg.1a814a4e679d6cd0125ab1678efc89dc.jpg

If I check Continental's Illustrated Parts Catalog for the TSIO-360-SB2, it shows V-band clamp as 653337.  However, the screen shot below is from Continental's supersedure page...and it looks like 670105 superseded 653337. 

image.png.193ba7c471215a61bd25273e91270256.png

30 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

At annual this year, my MSC installed 670105 (bad pic in package) but it's a riveted clamp.  It appears there are several superseded part numbers.

V_band_clamp.jpg.1a814a4e679d6cd0125ab1678efc89dc.jpg

If I check Continental's Illustrated Parts Catalog for the TSIO-360-SB2, it shows V-band clamp as 653337.  However, the screen shot below is from Continental's supersedure page...and it looks like 670105 superseded 653337. 

image.png.193ba7c471215a61bd25273e91270256.png

That’s good news. If there are any previous versions that are spot-welded sitting on the shelf, which I doubt, they should really be destroyed. The reason behind this AD is all of the fires and deaths that have occurred from V-bands coming apart. The riveted ones are much more sturdy.

• Like 2