"Cheat Code" for pushing into hanger

I have found that centering the plane while pushing back into hanger is difficult when you just have a ribbed galvanized wall.  I had a banner in last hanger and when above the tail it made pushing into hanger a lot easier.  I put this one in and centered the drooped Mooney tail feathers on the center.  Put the top of the dorsal on the tail of the Mooneybird and push back is easy.  :) 

IMG_2468.png

• Like 3

BIG X for the tail & the stripe for the nose tire. Hangar lights are a huge plus. The wife watches the stab/elevator clearance. Way easier now since getting the Sidewinder.

IMG_0860.jpg.48ef6506d3b8a0a2960a827efaba893b.jpgIMG_0799.jpg.916dece4f57df5ab1eeea0b9ecd13d38.jpg

• Like 2

My hangar has a seam in the ceiling insulation dead center. I align the tail and the com antenna on the seam. It perfectly centers the plane every time.

My tie down has nothing to align to and an off center light pole behind it, so you cannot push it too far back and pull it forward along the line. It doesn’t sound like much, but it is a PITA.

• Like 2

I share a box hangar, and just point my tail into the corner where some rooms have been built. So I get the "short" side of the hangar!

11 hours ago, C.J. said:

BIG X for the tail & the stripe for the nose tire. Hangar lights are a huge plus. The wife watches the stab/elevator clearance. Way easier now since getting the Sidewinder.

X Marks the spot.  I like it.  :) 

2 hours ago, Echo said:

My sons Z4M Coupe

Nice.

I have two M3s (2002 E46 and 1995 M3 LTW).  Used to have a built 2000 Z3M, but ex took it, with my blessings.

Just now, Pinecone said:

Nice.

I have two M3s (2002 E46 and 1995 M3 LTW).  Used to have a built 2000 Z3M, but ex took it, with my blessings.

Very nice.  "Clown Shoes" are awesome.  I would miss that, but a pair of M3's would definitely ease the pain.  Enjoy.

Z3M was convertible.

Ended up with Bilstein Sport shocks, swapped hats, H&R Sport Springs, RH sway bars.  Strong Strut brace.  Engine had some valve seal issues so while the head was off, it got a Turner Stage IV  engine kit (Cold Air Intake, High Flow MAF, high flow injectors, Shrick cams, software) plus Shorty Headers feeding Super Sprint.  Short shifter.

FUN.

The other thing that's helped me is to find a reference point to align the nose wheel with when you swing around before shutdown. 

The neighbor's hangar across from mine has a wall seam that perfectly aligns with my centerline mark so if I can align with that seam, it's just a matter of glutes and quads...

I'm lucky that my hangar has an electric junction box right at the center of the top of the back wall.   It's easy to line up with, so I just use that.    One of our CAP hangars has a black stripe of spray paint where somebody just drew a quick line down center of the top of the rear wall.   Works the same way.  ;)

Being new to hangar life I'm petrified of whacking the wing tip against the side.  And I want to be a little off center to be able to walk around the door side a little easier.  So I picked up inexpensive traffic posts.  I just pull them out on that side if I'm along.  If I get too close I'll tap one of those before I get actually get to the hangar wall. 

And I haven't done it, but I've seen people hang a couple of ropes down at the front of the hangar (guess you could additional further in).  They line up and the tail goes between the ropes.  The ones I saw had a pretty narrow slot, they stopped just above the guys VOR antenna so they didn't get moved around.

8 hours ago, PeteMc said:

What are the extra strips to the side supposed to do?

Absolutely no idea, I wondered that same thing. Possibly previous lessee painted them, or the county did. I'm just happy the center stripe is there so I have 2 references.