Oil filters

JayMatt

The logjam might be breaking loose a bit.   I ordered two Champion by mistake in March, and they arrived last week.  This means that Champion is back in production.   The two Tempest 48110-2 that I ordered in August arrived today.  Both orders from AS.

Not sure which filter you need, but if you get in a tight spot, I"m sure someone here on MS will help you out.  I will if you need the same filter.

Good luck

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

I had a box of Tempest filters show up recently, so I think they're just slowly getting the pipeline going again.

I did too, unfortunately they weren’t what I ordered. But neither was the oil that came. I was able to sell the filters to people in the neighborhood for cost due to filter shortages. The oil I’ll just use although I didn’t want straight grade, at least it’s the + straight grade.

I think after a couple of decades I’m done with AC Spruce. Bought a plane power alternator from them several months ago, they would not return the core charge, issued a store credit instead, when I complained I was told it’s their policy. In Fl as long as the aircraft gross weight is over 2,000 lbs there is no tax on aircraft parts, not just Fl aircraft, but any aircraft in Fl. AC Spruce will only honor this if the aircraft is registered in Fl, then add in what shipping costs from them, buy a few O-rings, it’s about $10, free shipping starts at $350 I think.

The wrong oil filters and oil they sent me, they gave me an RMA and told me shipping was my problem.

I think I’m taking my business elsewhere, too bad because they used to be a good parts source, I used to order from them even when I could get it cheaper elsewhere.

22 hours ago, JayMatt said:

Are there any oil filters to be found anywhere? So far I can't find any. Is this a common mooney problem? 

When they started becoming hard to get a couple of years ago, everyone ordered a dozen.  Production has begun to ramp up again, and most suppliers are fulfilling their orders FIFO.  I’m beginning to wonder if our supply chain will ever smooth out again.  Right now we seem to be lurching back and forth between under-production and then adding capacity only to see demand go soft.  Once you have a dozen filters on the shelf, you don’t need to order again for years.  This diatribe is just the opinion of a curmudgeon.

7 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

When they started becoming hard to get a couple of years ago, everyone ordered a dozen.  Production has begun to ramp up again, and most suppliers are fulfilling their orders FIFO.  I’m beginning to wonder if our supply chain will ever smooth out again.  Right now we seem to be lurching back and forth between under-production and then adding capacity only to see demand go soft.  Once you have a dozen filters on the shelf, you don’t need to order again for years.  This diatribe is just the opinion of a curmudgeon.

I never understood the toilet paper thing, I expected within a month or two at most of the great TP hoarding for it to be falling off the shelves and TP on sale because the demand had gone to zero.

But it seemed that never happened? 

On 11/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, JayMatt said:

Are there any oil filters to be found anywhere? So far I can't find any. Is this a common mooney problem? 

I can sell you one or « loan «  you one till you receive your order 

tempest 48103

2 hours ago, skykrawler said:

I think the champions are from Brazil.

Has anyone with a F/J tried to install the longer 48104?   Will it fit?

The Tempests are I believe US made, but the steel apparently comes in big rolls, from China.

This cut n pasted from here

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/maintenance/spin-on-oil-filters-champion-or-tempest-2/

Despite rumors that it’s built by a third party, the Tempest Original filter, which has a list price of $29.49, is manufactured by Aero Accessories in their own North Carolina plant

5 hours ago, skykrawler said:

I think the champions are from Brazil.

Has anyone with a F/J tried to install the longer 48104?   Will it fit?

The longer version will fit with no issues.  It might contact the firewall as you start the thread, but once torqued there is clearance.  They add almost 50% more filter media for a few dollars more, if you can find them.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:32 AM, OR75 said:

I can sell you one or « loan «  you one till you receive your order 

tempest 48103

where you at? that's the one I need (tempest 48103).  I was thinking of getting the reusable one so I never had to worry about this again but buying a six pack of them isn't a bad Idea either. Even reusable are back ordered.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, RobertGary1 said:

I ordered one in early October. They said it would arrive November but now it’s listed January. 
Most people change filters way too often so  it probably won’t hurt the fleet much. 

I was told every 50 hours no? That's what my A&P said, I have yet to look it up. 

You should change oil every three months or 50 hours whichever come first, for me it’s the three months.

Here is the thing, the oil filter unless you have bad sludge in your engine from not changing oil as you should is certainly not clogged or shouldn’t even be close so from a filter perspective I’m sure every other change is fine, just like what used to be recommended for cars. (opinion)

But for safeties sake the oil filter should be inspected every time the oil is changed, which of course destroys it.

I’m not a fan of reusable filters, unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner and they are less than 20 micron filtration, the filtration level is what’s tough with metal screen.

Then apparently the one that’s available you have to be very meticulous when installing, apparently it can seem to seal fine, even not leak on the run-up leak check, and blow out the sealing ring on takeoff, very quickly dumping all the engines oil out.

I’ve never seen a Tempest or Challenger fail myself.

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

You should change oil every three months or 50 hours whichever come first, for me it’s the three months.

Here is the thing, the oil filter unless you have bad sludge in your engine from not changing oil as you should is certainly not clogged or shouldn’t even be close so from a filter perspective I’m sure every other change is fine, just like what used to be recommended for cars. (opinion)

But for safeties sake the oil filter should be inspected every time the oil is changed, which of course destroys it.

I’m not a fan of reusable filters, unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner and they are less than 20 micron filtration, the filtration level is what’s tough with metal screen.

Then apparently the one that’s available you have to be very meticulous when installing, apparently it can seem to seal fine, even not leak on the run-up leak check, and blow out the sealing ring on takeoff, very quickly dumping all the engines oil out.

I’ve never seen a Tempest or Challenger fail myself.

Changing the filter at 3 months with limited hours goes against what you’re trying to do. You’re looking for material in the filter but if you’re changing it too often it won’t build up to see. It why they don’t tell you to change the filter each hour during breakin. 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, M20Doc said:

The longer version will fit with no issues.  It might contact the firewall as you start the thread, but once torqued there is clearance.  They add almost 50% more filter media for a few dollars more, if you can find them.

Hi Clarence, is the 48109 the longer version of the 48108?  I've got all sorts of room on my K for a larger filter, I just don't know what number I need.

Cheers,

Dan

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

Hi Clarence, is the 48109 the longer version of the 48108?  I've got all sorts of room on my K for a larger filter, I just don't know what number I need.

Cheers,

Dan

On my 252 the 48109 will install but the cowl flap bar will hit the filter before the cowl flaps close so no good. Stick with the 48108. 

2 hours ago, Will.iam said:

On my 252 the 48109 will install but the cowl flap bar will hit the filter before the cowl flaps close so no good. Stick with the 48108. 

Thanks. I did just receive my 6 pack of 48108’s I ordered back in the beginning of august.  So I’m good for a while.  But the 231 does have a different cowl flap assembly, my memory says I have plenty of clearance.  But now I’m questioning it.  Thanks! :P

Dan

6 hours ago, JayMatt said:

where you at? that's the one I need (tempest 48103).  I was thinking of getting the reusable one so I never had to worry about this again but buying a six pack of them isn't a bad Idea either. Even reusable are back ordered.

Calif. out of the country right now though