Tragedy at Reno Air Race

mooneyman

We have several friends there as well, most of whom we have heard from.  They described the scene as surreal.  I was there in 2007 when the three pilots were killed and I remember how somber that was.  I can't even imagine what it must be like now!  

My heart goes out to those people there to enjoy one of aviations last great events, only to end up injured. And to the families of those that were killed.  Truely an incredibly tragic event.

Just returned home. The scene was unbelievable and horrific. Debris was flying everywhere. Thankfully the big stuff stopped before it reached us. I was following him the entire time with my camera. We were too shocked to run. My friend was so close he got sprayed with avgas. The scene looked a war zone. I'll give a PIREP later on what the plane did. 

Quote: Sven

Just returned home. The scene was unbelievable and horrific. Debris was flying everywhere. Thankfully the big stuff stopped before it reached us. I was following him the entire time with my camera. We were too shocked to run. My friend was so close he got sprayed with avgas. The scene looked a war zone. I'll give a PIREP later on what the plane did. 

Just saw a photo posted on facebook where you could clearly see the trim tab had seperated.  Happy to report at least all of the folks that I work with at Kenmore Air that went down there are OK.  They all seem to have similar stories to Sven. 

I'm sure the event was insured, but I hope the flying community will rally to do whatever they can for the victims and their families.

The trim tab makes sense. Our friends down by the pits heard a non-engine popping sound just before it lost control. The wobbling we all saw looked like a struggle for control of the elevator. Maybe that's what caused it to pitch up so severely. 

post-418-13468140548757_thumb.jpg

I have three pictures of his abrupt climb and one of the descent. You can't see his helmet in any of them. On the one I took during his ground roll he's clearly visible. Also, several people noted that when they saw the elevator trim tab break off the tail wheel also deployed. Every one of my pictures clearly show that.

I'm wondering if the G forces pushed him down into his seat and that's why we can't see him.

Any ideas on why "NO FIRE" at the Reno crash??  You read reports of people being covered with Av Gas.  Look at the photos of the crash today in WVA and imagine that imposed on the Reno scene.  It could have been so much worse.  Do Reno racers have special fire slowing features?  Did the pilot have an option that affected this outcome?

Fox had an excerpt from a pilot (father-n-law) of one of the on set anchors who was in the stands.  He stated that this is conjecture, but felt the pilot did an excellent job (if he was alert and not incapacitated) of nearly getting the plane onto the tarmac.  Was coming right at stands and nearly missed them...His words placed the pilot in a "hero"/trying to save lives until end...I have also seen the photos of the broken trim tab.  My thoughts and prayers to the pilots family and those that were killed and injured.