im keeping it

Hi,

Great , keep us posted on your progress.   I remember investing pretty much all I had when I was younger in flying time.  I could never get quite to the ownership stage. It always seemed so far away. I think I was paying $13 an hour wet for a 150. A 172 I think was only $19 an hour wet. My total start to finish for a Private was $800.  A used 172 could be had for $7500. I knew of Mooneys but I f I couldn't afford a Cessna I surely couldn't  get into a Mooney. So I had to save for 40 years to get mine. You picked a plane with great value. I'm enjoying mine.

Good to hear! You're going to learn lots about planes and particularly Mooneys. I hope you can share pictures of your progress, because we'd like to learn too! I know there are a couple of other guys on this forum that are doing nice rebuilds on their Mooneys too. If there is one plane that is worth the effort, it's the Mooney IMO.Laughing

• 1 year later...

getting closer and closer for her to be done. Im trying to get down to fl and put fuel in her wings... they were empty and i know i had water in there to... so im deff sumping them out... i need new fuel sumps anyways. any recommendations for completly drying her out before i spend $325.00 in fuel? other than that... right brake rebuild... having a heck of a time with brake holding fluid and pressure.... seeps from right puck. other than that.. completed my BFR last sunday in a light sport aircraft... boy what a flight. Deff fun!!! re did my insurance for 1100.00 so far looking good. glad to be a part of mooneyspace and reading and picking your minds.... once i get her to her new home of midcoast regional airport.. you better bet practice practice practice. thanks guys and gals

Quote: sleepingsquirrel

Hi,

Great , keep us posted on your progress.   I remember investing pretty much all I had when I was younger in flying time.  I could never get quite to the ownership stage. It always seemed so far away. I think I was paying $13 an hour wet for a 150. A 172 I think was only $19 an hour wet. My total start to finish for a Private was $800.  A used 172 could be had for $7500. I knew of Mooneys but I f I couldn't afford a Cessna I surely couldn't  get into a Mooney. So I had to save for 40 years to get mine. You picked a plane with great value. I'm enjoying mine.

Quote: philipneeper

getting closer and closer for her to be done. Im trying to get down to fl and put fuel in her wings... they were empty and i know i had water in there to... so im deff sumping them out... i need new fuel sumps anyways. any recommendations for completly drying her out before i spend $325.00 in fuel? other than that... right brake rebuild... having a heck of a time with brake holding fluid and pressure.... seeps from right puck. other than that.. completed my BFR last sunday in a light sport aircraft... boy what a flight. Deff fun!!! re did my insurance for 1100.00 so far looking good. glad to be a part of mooneyspace and reading and picking your minds.... once i get her to her new home of midcoast regional airport.. you better bet practice practice practice. thanks guys and gals

nothing bettr than hangaring it with the caps off for a month.   But second best, water settles out of avgas.

Brake cylinders get heavy pitting in the bores.  If re-o-ringing doesnt fix, then  you may need a new cleveland caliper.  Ours has one replaced ten years ago and the originial 77 one on the left is pitted pretty bad.

Quote: jetdriven

nothing bettr than hangaring it with the caps off for a month.   But second best, water settles out of avgas.

Brake cylinders get heavy pitting in the bores.  If re-o-ringing doesnt fix, then  you may need a new cleveland caliper.  Ours has one replaced ten years ago and the originial 77 one on the left is pitted pretty bad.