M20C Panel Upgrade Experience, Thoughts & Product Reviews

MitchS

Mitch, looking good!

I redid my panel over 3 years ago. I did it all at once including ADS-B 2020 compliance with GDL 88. The PFD1000, GDL 750, EDM 930, GDL88, GMA340, GTX 327 along with a new custom panel was done for ~ 50 AMU. 

It seemed a pretty crazy decision in 2012 but it is a delight to fly with and in hindsight I think it was smart. I never would think of money spent on a plane as an investment, it is a purchase. It might be a toy or a tool but it will depreciate. In the meantime, for as long as I am able to fly I will be benefited.  

100_2663.JPG

panel 12-13-2013 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2016 at 3:02 PM, DXB said:

Mitch- Congrats on the panel upgrade- looks very nice!  Just thought I'd jump in as a fellow member of the "obscene panel upgrade in a '68C model"  club.  I did mine last year.  Your details are a bit different- I went with the KT74 (Bendix's low cost transponder ads-b out solution) and decided to forgo the GDL88 to instead get ads-b in from a Stratus into the ipad only- so far I'm happy with it.  Your central panel wound up configured identically to mine.  I suspect you ran into the same problem putting your STEC 30/turn coordinator in the traditional lower left position that I did-  there's a tube in the roll cage that is a just few millimeters too close for the big connector on the back.  Looking at your night pic reminded me that there's only one thing that I can't dim adequately at night- the LEDs on the STEC.  They are obnoxiously bright despite being regulated by the same dimmer as my nulites on the other round gauges.

Also like you, I'm left with the vacuum system driving a solitary backup AI. Tearing it out, adding a digital backup with additional features yet to be determined, and maybe a stormscope/ strikefinder, are the only upgrades that remain for some point in the future after I finish my IR.

56c8d40380868_beforeandafter.thumb.jpg.3

That looks awesome!  I see you opted to do the full panel metal, it looks so much cleaner that way.  I also like how you have the engine monitor stuff nice and close!

You are correct, that darn metal rail got in the way for both the Attitude Indicator as well as the Turn Coordinator, thus their lower position.

• Like 2