Mooney finally makes the announcement!

M20F

That's the only monitor on my panel I want to post...looking forward to knowing what all those numbers mean.   The installer had to change the hp setting from 300hp to 180hp.   

image.thumb.jpeg.fd047ff8af2a6fe7c4aad4803a8bd269.jpeg

Well, one thing I would be asking about is the reason for the 50% HP. It looks like it needs to be calibrated. Also your #3 cylinder looks a bit cooler than the others. Could the probe they used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, one thing I would be asking about is the reason for the 50% HP. It looks like it needs to be calibrated. Also your #3 cylinder looks a bit cooler than the others. Could the probe they used.

That's why he said the installer had to change the hp setting from 300 hp to 180 hp, which puts the above at 83% power. (50% of 300 = 150 hp.)

as to Cylinder #3 showing cool, that's generally the one with the factory single-point probe, and many folks use a washer probe for the analyzer, which reads different. Never could remember if they read high or low; guess it reads low . . . .

• Like 1

That's why he said the installer had to change the hp setting from 300 hp to 180 hp, which puts the above at 83% power. (50% of 300 = 150 hp.)

as to Cylinder #3 showing cool, that's generally the one with the factory single-point probe, and many folks use a washer probe for the analyzer, which reads different. Never could remember if they read high or low; guess it reads low . . . .

He will need to fly the power profile from the POH to set it correctly. Troy -- setting it isn't too hard. Just need to find a power setting profile, fly it and adjust the HP % to match the power profile.

As for the temp on #3, if he used a gasket probe on the spark plug, mine always had a higher reading than the other cylinders. The 830 should have come with 3 bayonet probes and gasket probe. I switched mine to the JPI version that worked with the factory bayonet probe. On one of the JPI threads, I posted a picture of what that probe looks like. Can't find it in my photos at the moment.

• Like 1

The #3 cylinder is the factory installed probe which is inserted lower then the JPI gasket probe, so it will read lower. That's my understanding ??  Looking forward to figuring it out.   I'm excited about the carb temp probe because I think I had a little carb ice last summer on a quick decent. The more info you have the better, If you know what to do with it. :) 

Hum, I'm a very senior citizen (past the biblical 3 score and 10), with a vintage, make that antique (built 50 years ago this month) M20E.

Even so, is annual time and I'm replacing the engine control cables and the windows. I might just paint her next year. If that bothers any J jockeys they can keep it to themselves. It's my heirs' money I'm spending.

Who you kidding, Bob, you have a J lite.  

You our also got more gadgets and geegaws than a 747-400. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

So, back to the question about the announcement...

Wonder if it has anything to do with the statement mid-way through this article?

Scaled sent him a job offer the day he graduated. That was almost 10 years ago. But the day of the mudslide was actually his last day working at Scaled. His hobby, designing, building, and testing airplanes, has become his true passion. Starting the next week, it will be his new job. “I’m a test pilot now,” he says, with a grin the size of the Sharpie shark’s. He’s going to do for-hire work, like today’s test, and do a full work-up of a new plane from Mooney Aircraft Company, which no one has ever flown before.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-spaceship-engineers-who-build-their-own-planes

So, back to the question about the announcement...

Wonder if it has anything to do with the statement mid-way through this article?

Scaled sent him a job offer the day he graduated. That was almost 10 years ago. But the day of the mudslide was actually his last day working at Scaled. His hobby, designing, building, and testing airplanes, has become his true passion. Starting the next week, it will be his new job. “I’m a test pilot now,” he says, with a grin the size of the Sharpie shark’s. He’s going to do for-hire work, like today’s test, and do a full work-up of a new plane from Mooney Aircraft Company, which no one has ever flown before.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-spaceship-engineers-who-build-their-own-planes

That article was awful. Do you think do you think they douched it up on purpose with the "high fives" and the "5 minutes from bingo". I wonder if " they feel the need, the need for..."

You guys are good.  I got as far as the 'private hangar' sentence. When did private hangar become important?

The last sentence I could take in was something about a C172 being 'wicked quick'...

Ugh,

-a-

A you bailed just in time. The next sentence about the 'wicked fast' Skyhawk described it becoming the coolest plane at the field . . . It was obviously written by a non-aviation fan, he was afraid of the flight controls and said 'it wasn't like flying at all' because he could see more than a salad-bowl-sized window just below his shoulder.

but it may excite interest in other non-flyers. Never heard anyone (other than military pilots on a mission) use 'bingo fuel.' Reckon they were showing off for the reporter? At least there were good photos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carl said:

Cringe time! and that not the other half with the loran!

panel.jpg

My panel used to look just like that except it was fake wood and had a tiny revolving DG that showed about 30 degrees like a compass.  THAT was scary.  This is a MAJOR improvement over my POS panel at purchase.