Balance Question, Dropping a wing

carl

HRM,

I have that button , which is usually covered by the end of a crutch, a crutch shoe, the rubber cover holds it down . I just took it off and the pc works great. I do need a new crutch shoe because it is old and dirty. I like to have the PC off for landings and take off. 

How do others handle landings and takeoffs ?

You have a boost pump indicator  light. I do not have one. That is a great idea.

Shadrach

Flew AOO to Hagerstown VOR and back with PC working. Didn't have much time so I did not land and look for you Ross. I will soon. 

• Like 1

Mooneys are always hand flown when close to the ground.  The transition from A/P to hand flying also has some potential quirks that are best handled well above terrain. A modern A/P can follow an ILS close to the ground.  That would require knowledge of the systems and practice to stay current.

you definitely want to know how to disable the A/P reliably and know that the off switch/valve is working.

best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

PC-Positive Control is NOT an Auto-Pilot.  PC was/is a wing leveler designed to be "on" all the time unless defeated by pushing the button or pulling out the button to defeat the vacuum based pressure to maintain "wings level flight".  When maneuvering (generally take-off and landings the PC was/is defeated by the pilot...BUT the pressure can be overcome "with PC on" with pressure on the yoke.  The wing-leveler could be augmented into an altitude hold and heading or GPS auto-pilot system with additional servos in tail for elevator control.  Again, this system can be overcome by pressure on yoke.  The PC does NOT trim the plane.  The plane must be trimmed for level flight to include the roll-trim.  You absolutely CAN land a Mooney with PC on.  The control forces ARE heavier.  Brittain later came up with an electric solenoid to defeat the PC vs. pushing the button.  It is actuated with a switch on the "newer" style yokes.

HRM,

I have that button , which is usually covered by the end of a crutch, a crutch shoe, the rubber cover holds it down . I just took it off and the pc works great. I do need a new crutch shoe because it is old and dirty. I like to have the PC off for landings and take off. 

How do others handle landings and takeoffs ?

You have a boost pump indicator  light. I do not have one. That is a great idea.

Shadrach

I just hold the button in, not a big deal and that is what it is for. Also,when I push the button there is a blip on my vacuum gauge. That is how I know it is working.