AirBoss - Pros / Cons

AirBoss  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are you and AirBoss Member

• Yes
    • No
    • No - Been meaning to sign up
    • No - will never sign up
  2. 2. What percentage of airports you visit have an AirBoss fuel rate?

• 70%+
    • 30%-69%
    • Less than 30%
    • I don't know as I'm not an AirBoss member
  3. 3. Did you make back the $39.00?

• Yes and more!
    • Yes
    • No
    • No and I'm not an AirBoss member

Let me know the pro/cons of AirBoss, if you are a member or not, and if you think it's worth it.

www.airnav.com/airboss/pilot/

AirBoss makes deals with certain FBOs to provide discounted fuel not at your home base.

Any CB's club members part of this?

Thanks,

-Seth

**Update** The more things change the more they stay the same.  I opened a poll topic on this two years ago:

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/9161-airboss/

As it turns out, you can use the fuel tab feature on Airnav for fuel prices, and in the listing it'll show if there is an airboss rate near where you are going.  That at least helps to figure out what airports in your region participate.  I found a few that do.

Also, since it basically helps support AirNav, I think I'm going to do it.

-Seth

i am not a member and have no information .

what is this you speak of .

i have to check it out if it will save me money

I'm also in the "what's that?" camp, and curious about the no discount at home policy. But home fuel is pretty cheap right now, so . . .

Is this something the CB club would actually use?  Or are they going to avoid airports with higher cost fuel anyway, and thus never use the AirBoss discounts?

I contacted airnav to ask for a list of AirBoss FBOs.

I had not thought of it as a way to assist airnav.com.  That alone even if I break even may be a reason to do it - give Airnav the $39 and then make that back if not more during the year while flying. 

I do have a trip coming up to RYY outside ATL which does have the AirBoss discount and would be 40+ gallons right there at a .20 discount, amounting to $8 of the $39 fee.  

-Seth 

Is this something the CB club would actually use?  Or are they going to avoid airports with higher cost fuel anyway, and thus never use the AirBoss discounts?

I think it depends on where you go. Sometimes convenience is king and the AirBoss discount can mean the difference between using the airport close to where you want to be or the further away. Or even a choice between FBOs at the same airport.

I didn't ask if they'd stack discounts, it was 20 cents for aopa and 15 for airboss.

The time it happened to me I didn't expect it. I doubt if many do it. 

You never know about discounts. I once did an Angel Flight and asked whether the FBO did discounts for mercy flights. They said not in general but they were perfectly willing to put my tailnumber in for their "non-transient" discount, which ended up applying every time I flew in for any reason.

Well, I just flight planned 2 long (4+ hrs, 1 lunch stop) trips and 2 (1 leg) shorter ones. I looked for Airboss (and other) fuel program fuel providers at destinations, lunch/fuel stops and alternates.

I only found 1, and their base price was so much more than others nearby that it was better to land somewhere else for a break, or to tanker some gas on a leg.

Make a long story short...nope, am not going to sign up for Airboss or anything else.

Thanks for the poll though, it really got me to test the premise on some real world trips I'm making and to gather the evidence I needed to decide :) 

Robert