GPS vs VLOC approaches

MooneyBob

Used to be that a BC was the only approach to runway 24 at GRB and I think the same can be said for runway 19 at MSY.  I've done mulitple BC approaches in the DC9.  Not that big of a deal.  Put the front course in the course window and away you do.  The only hard part is planning the descent unless you like to 'dive and drive'.

Haven't looked for let alone tried one in the Mooney yet though.

Bob

Sarasota avionics has a special: $5789 for a GNS To GTN upgrade.

Also, if upgrading I'm don't know why you need more panel space?

Okay, so I wish I had the $9000 for the GNS-430 AND the $5789 for the GTN upgrade.

Consider buying a used G430 for that trade...

On another note...

The number of precision / ILS approaches is relatively small. The close by goto airport has one ILS on a Northeast runway. If the wind is from the SW, the decisions get more complicated...

Best regards,

-a-

The number of precision / ILS approaches is relatively small. The close by goto airport has one ILS on a Northeast runway. If the wind is from the SW, the decisions get more complicated...

-a-

So for me, I look at the circling minimums for the ILS (probably about 600 AGL). Below that, I will probably wait out the weather and call in sick for work, if necessary. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting approaches to minimums. I enjoy them even more when I'm getting paid for it, and somebody else pays for the fancy equipment!

• Like 1

So for me, I look at the circling minimums for the ILS (probably about 600 AGL). Below that, I will probably wait out the weather and call in sick for work, if necessary. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting approaches to minimums. I enjoy them even more when I'm getting paid for it, and somebody else pays for the fancy equipment!

Amen brother.