New Garmin Pilot Synthetic Vision

MooneyBob

I was nicely surprised today after I have updated my Garmin Pilot App. They added a synthetic vision feature that looks very nice on the iPad. Can't wait to fly it tomorrow.

I really like the Pilot app since I started to use it a year ago. They made a huge progress and added a lot of useful features. Together with traffic, weather, terrain and other bells and whistles it became a really nice back up tool in the cockpit.

Bob

M20J

post-11936-0-75533400-1392938642_thumb.j

• Like 1

I got my PPL in 1985 and I'm so blown away by the technology we have at our disposal today. I have synthetic vision on my G1000 but seeing Garmin introduce that on the iPad really blows my mind. A great bargain for iPad users; synthetic vision was only a $14K upgrade for the G1000.

• Like 1

I used to use the Foreflight simultaneously with the Garmin. I had Foreflight on my iPad and Garmin Pilot on my Google Nexus. I have multiple external GPS units. After while for no particular reason I have decided for Garmin Pilot and GDL 39. I've just got my GDL 39 3D that allows the AI and synthetic vision feature. Now I use two iPads ( regular on my kneeboard and mini on the side of the windshield). The Garmin subscription is good for two devices so it doesn't cost anything extra. The GDL let you use both of them at the same time. One you can use as a AI or synthetic vision and second one for navigation, weather, traffic, etc. And I still have another Garmin GLO external GPS as a backup. Multiple battery packs and chargers to make sure there are no surprises in the air.

I think I still have the paper charts somewhere :-).

Not a bad idea, never really thought about that until now.

As a poor boy growing up on an Northern Virginia farm, saw my dad start a 37 Ford many time with "Old Mac" in harness, pulling on a single tree and my mother releasing the clutch.

We lived on high ground, just roll it down the hill and pop the clutch. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

We lived on high ground, just roll it down the hill and pop the clutch. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

I did that with my 12 year old BMW M5 last summer when the starter gave me a problem a few times before I was able to replace the starter.  My fiancé thought it was hysterical that I was parking the beast up hill so if it didn't start I could just get it rolling and pop the clutch.  I did this for quite some time before finally replacing the starter.

The starter was intermittent - it had a dead spot and about one out of every 8-10 starts it wouldn't do a thing.

Sorry for the thread creep.

Back on track - the current avionics are AMAZING even since I started flying just 15 years ago.   In just 2008 I got my IFR ticket without an in panel GPS and am amazed by the addition situational awareness a 430w or even a portable 396/496 can add.  Now with Ipads/tablets - it's really amazing. 

I'm looking forward to adding some sort of receiver to get ADS-B as well as synthetic vision on the IPAD. 

-Seth

• Like 1

San Diego to St. Louis to New York then across the Atlantic to Paris with

an earth inductor compass??  (The Spirit of St. Louis)

How spoiled are we going to get??

There was a reason they called him Lucky Lindy. Lucky he wasn't one of the dozen killed before him trying to do what he did. :)

• Like 1

Yet another confirmation of "Garmin rules, Aspen drools!"

Careful there Big Fella. Might need to do a root canal on you without Novacaine! There are some things Garmin does well, hence why I own the Pilot with GDL-39. But there are some things they don't. Like play nice with the other Chimps in the cage. Therefore, why they are losing me as a customer as a KLN 770 goes in my panel...

Yeah yeah I know the others cry because Garmin hits them hard and then eats their lunch in one big bite!

You know what is funny? In 1990, the big complaint was that Bendix King owned the Nav/Comm business and were charging an arm and leg for a basic box. Along comes Garmin and knocks them off their perch. Funny how history repeats itself.

Using my best Philly slang... Alls I wants, is a competitive environment. Open the hierachy Garmin... Shows us you are the market leader...

• Like 1

Garmin is competing and is kicking everyone else's ass! Marginalizing them in the process and in one swoop.

What's funny is when the others just can't keep up they whine!

They are glutton for punishment! Putting themselves in the same situation time after time!

Is it out for 796 yet? As in if I connect GDL39D to my 796, will I get synthetic vision with attitude? Or just the pilot app?

No. Just pilot app at this time.

Another feature that would be nice (but not absolutely essential) is to enable Pilot to receive flight plan info from my GTN 750! Much like the 796 can via a data cable.

I don't see this happening though as it would compete with the 796.

post-7035-0-06783400-1393031999_thumb.jp

• Like 1