Crosswind Configuration

CoachTom

I never understood any other technique but crab and kick. What is the point of sitting cross controlled and slow on a long final? Crab until right before flare, then kick. Said it before, will say it again. As to people claiming landing direct 45knot cross wind, well, you're much better pilot than me. This woos here went around 3 times before landing in 35knot gusts once.

Crab and kick is no different from any other technique (unless equipped with a crosswind landing gear).  Crab and kick has the same effect as other techniques:  landing on the up-wind gear, aligned with the runway.  The error I see with the "crab and kick" guys is that without establishing alignment prior to the flare, they're just guessing at rudder....and almost always land with too much rudder or not enough rudder.  This is usually painful to watch on aircraft with 4 wheel trucks on each gear.  I've seen lot of different techniques, personally, I think rudder application needs to be applied smoothly prior to the flare, not jammed in at the last second of flight.

However, whatever works for you....

10 more pages! we must beat taking off without flaps!

I agree!

Mooneyspace has been pretty non-controversial lately. Gone are the days when you couldn't wait to see who had the latest word.

Too much love-fest down at the Mooney Summit in ECP, I guess.

I agree!

Mooneyspace has been pretty non-controversial lately. Gone are the days when you couldn't wait to see who had the latest word.

Too much love-fest down at the Mooney Summit in ECP, I guess.

That's because the catalyst hasn't been around to cause trouble. We all know him as Mr. Poll, aka 201er, aka Stinky Pants.

Heck, even the Dentist has been relatively quiet...

• Like 1

+1^

Yes....the good 'ol days. MS had the innersocial dynamics of an elementary school playground. Where the arguments would become so obscure and absurd. Thank goodness the FAA list contains god-like figures who can retract their gear early, push their plane in the hangar by the prop, achieve 100 LOP at 10,000 feet, all while making sure their engine quits before switching tanks to ensure they never make a fuel stop and achieve a range of 1200nm to get a deal on Camguard. And this was the non political. :):) :):) :)

• Like 1

+1^

Yes....the good 'ol days. MS had the innersocial dynamics of an elementary school playground. Where the arguments would become so obscure and absurd. Thank goodness the FAA list contains god-like figures who can retract their gear early, push their plane in the hangar by the prop, achieve 50 LOP at 10,000 feet, all while making sure their engine quits before switching tanks to ensure they never make a fuel stop and achieve a range of 1200nm to get a deal on Camguard. And this was the non political. :):) :):) :)

I guess we're growing up . . . .