GTN Clock is One Hour Ahead

RoundTwo

I noticed this problem flying the Sunday after the time change. We were in Central time, returning to Eastern time and I noticed the GTN clock was one hour ahead. I guessed it would straighten itself out … NOT.

I took the following picture just before shutdown at 3:34 PM and it shows Departure time was 3:58 PM. I never realized Moonies were time travelers. :lol:

Any ideas? The irony is that this flight was the return flight from the avionics shop after getting 2 new servos and software updates for everything, including the GTN.

Chuck

IMG_0865.png

28 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

The local time should match your photo time stamp?

I would power it up again and make sure you have good satellite reception and check the time again.

I’ll check but can’t imagine it is a satellite reception issue because I have flown it half a dozen times since we set the clocks back and it has never adjusted the time. My guess is there something in the configuration that needs to be tweaked.

I’ll check but can’t imagine it is a satellite reception issue because I have flown it half a dozen times since we set the clocks back and it has never adjusted the time. My guess is there something in the configuration that needs to be tweaked.

The GPS knows where you are (hopefully) and which time zone you’re in, so unless it thought you were somewhere else I don’t see why it wouldn’t know the correct time. How close to time zone border were you?
FWIW, I couldn’t find anything about time in my 650 settings.

5 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

The GPS knows where you are (hopefully) and which time zone you’re in, so unless it thought you were somewhere else I don’t see why it wouldn’t know the correct time. How close to time zone border were you?
FWIW, I couldn’t find anything about time in my 650 settings.

Exactly. That’s why I created this post, because it’s rather perplexing.

21 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

It sounds like it needs to be updated after the daylight savings time change a couple of weeks ago.  On the GTN go to Home -> System -> Setup and update the local offset for the clock

Interesting and yet disappointing that the software isn’t smart enough to adjust to local time while accounting for seasonal shifts. Does this mean you have to change your offset when you fly to locations, like Indiana, that don’t recognize DST?

2 minutes ago, RoundTwo said:

Interesting and yet disappointing that the software isn’t smart enough to adjust to local time while accounting for seasonal shifts. Does this mean you have to change your offset when you fly to locations, like Indiana, that don’t recognize DST?

I'm not sure on that one, I don't often check local time on my GTNs but it would seem likely I guess.

4 minutes ago, RoundTwo said:

Possibly because the dates for the changes have been changed somewhat in recent years, and they couldn't figure out a way to calculate the date?  That said, it would seem that GPS should provide both time and date?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Possibly because the dates for the changes have been changed somewhat in recent years, and they couldn't figure out a way to calculate the date?  That said, it would seem that GPS should provide both time and date?

GPS does provide both time and date but only in UTC.  The local offset is needed for local time.  It would be good if local offset could be easily calculated but I'm not sure if there is a way to handle that.  Cell phones auto adjust time but they get local offset from the cell tower they connect to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

That information should simply be in the databases. Extremely easy to have local time offset tide to geographic areas.

Ive submitted this to Garmin as a software change request. Hopefully they can put it in as a tag-along to one of the next feature improvement releases.

Here's what the Pilot Guide says about setting the time. Local time requires a manual offset entry that you need to change as you change time zones. I find it easier with this implementation to leave it set to UTC and use other sources for local time.

Cheers,
Rick

Image11-17-23at12_22PM.jpg.156dbf47af74cc15c3f050caaa278e83.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Junkin said:

Garmin page for your requests for changes, upgrades, or new products.

Your link didn't work for me if I clicked on it.  I had to Cut & Paste it into my Browser to get to the page.

Edited by PeteMc

5 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Indiana has recognized DST since 2006.  Aside from a few counties in the northwest and southwest corners of the state, it is always aligned with eastern time.

40 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Your link didn't work for me if I clicked on it.  I had to Cut & Paste it into my Browser to get to the page.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

I pasted this one directly from my browser and my bookmarks, which works for me. There may be something funky about the first link though, I copied it from a Garmin chat window when I asked how best to submit change or feature requests. It came up in a browser window with no address bar and I wasn’t savvy enough to figure out how to make one appear.

Glad you were able to make it work with a cut-n-paste.

Cheers,
Rick

39 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Indiana has recognized DST since 2006.  Aside from a few counties in the northwest and southwest corners of the state, it is always aligned with eastern time.

My apologies to all of the people in the great state of Indiana, that I may have offended by incorrectly stating that they don’t recognize daylight saving time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rick Junkin said:

Ive submitted this to Garmin as a software change request. Hopefully they can put it in as a tag-along to one of the next feature improvement releases.

Here's what the Pilot Guide says about setting the time. Local time requires a manual offset entry that you need to change as you change time zones. I find it easier with this implementation to leave it set to UTC and use other sources for local time.

Cheers,
Rick

Image11-17-23at12_22PM.jpg.156dbf47af74cc15c3f050caaa278e83.jpg

That’s a horrible design for a GPS, that you would need to offset the time every time you crossed the time zone. With the three GPS displays I have in the plane, it’s only the most expensive one, the GTN 750, that doesn’t correctly set local time. The other less costlier units, both do it. 

That’s a horrible design for a GPS, that you would need to offset the time every time you crossed the time zone. With the three GPS displays I have in the plane, it’s only the most expensive one, the GTN 750, that doesn’t correctly set local time. The other less costlier units, both do it. 

Sorry to be the contrarian but i believe as pilots we need to be on UTC when flying, not local. It’s the aviation standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The strange thing is, my Garmin car GPS knows where it is in respect to time offset.   It automatically changes.

Don't hold your breath on seeing a fix.

The Flight Planning tool doesn't work the way it should.  And the way it works is NOT how the manual says it works, but Garmin refuses to acknowledge there is an issue.

It calculates ETA from the departure time, not the current time, even when calculating from Present Position.  So you can take off on a 5 hour flight, 3 hours in, use the Flight Planning page and have it tell you the ETA to your destination is 1 hour BEFORE the current time.

I checked this out this afternoon and realized that I was still on a MDT zulu offset and needed to update to MST.  I guess it's always right at least half the time!  But for flight I'm usually on Zulu as that's what ATC is always using so I have that shown on my Engine monitor under the elapsed flight time.

But I agree that if a Garmin GPS has a "local time" display, it makes complete sense that it should automatically show the actual local time unless you're in a hangar or don't have a signal.

• Like 1