Temporary Engine monitor after new reman

What would you do?

I just had a new reman from Western put in my 66 M20E with a Ray Jay.

I would like to get a temporary engine monitor. This new engine took all my money for now but would like to get a Dynon system next year or a little late.

What would be the most practical and efficient monitor to get for the interim time?

Preferably if possible used. 

Thanks, Dick 

52 minutes ago, Dick Denenny said:

What would you do?

I just had a new reman from Western put in my 66 M20E with a Ray Jay.

I would like to get a temporary engine monitor. This new engine took all my money for now but would like to get a Dynon system next year or a little late.

What would be the most practical and efficient monitor to get for the interim time?

Preferably if possible used. 

Thanks, Dick 

Keep in mind that, depending on what you want to monitor, you will need probes and other bits and pieces.  Do you have a place in your panel for another instrument?  The labor to install won't be any less (and maybe more) than a new monitor.

JPI EDM 730 with everything installed..... Right at 9K.  Give or take. And probably 2-3 weeks downtime, depending on any - Oh BTW issues,  Everything meaning EGT/CHT, OAT, IAT, OP, OT, FF, RPM, MP, GPS in.    Just did one in September.   

5 minutes ago, Caz said:

JPI EDM 730 with everything installed..... Right at 9K.  Give or take. And probably 2-3 weeks downtime, depending on any - Oh BTW issues,  Everything meaning EGT/CHT, OAT, IAT, OP, OT, FF, RPM, MP, GPS in.    Just did one in September.   

What is the difference between the 730 with "everything" and the 830?

7 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

What is the difference between the 730 with "everything" and the 830?

IIRC the 830 displays the percent of horsepower without you doing the math.  That is pretty much it.  I would have to go back and research to verify that but I'm pretty sure that's all she wrote.  Both are considered secondary instruments so you still have to keep the primary in place.  

• Thanks 1

I installed a 730 for 4.3 AMUs earlier this year. 2.5 for the unit with an additional carb temp probe through Aircraft Spruce. The installation was done by a local A&P based in South Florida. Everything ready in one week, but I already had an old EGT and Carb Temp monitor from the paleolitic era, so that must have helped the install since the exhaust was already drilled.

• Like 1

Wow…it’s amazing how differently folks interpret posts. The OP is looking for a short term, inexpensive engine monitor solution to get him through the first 100hrs on the fresh engine until he has the budget for a new Dynon. 
There are several EDM 700s for sale on eBay right now for we’ll under $800. This one is $525 with a 2 week warranty. Will need probes. Should be able to get this set up and installed for  2.5ish AMUs. Less with serviceable used probes. I’m assuming the Rayjay has a stand-alone TIT gauge.
A new Insight G1 is going to run about the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235211561468?hash=item36c3b399fc:g:ppIAAOSwGPBlCMVq&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8OExhAtl%2B%2B2eRw%2FYb5%2BGKNOiiGfrkiKn3ODz3tVRoxgJwkNBL%2F9AUKtjxFg9fHU01e8PMJx3viW6%2FT7dGebGssRZSsFTk%2FByaQ1oWOSKRa3I3O5SrlGDu%2BRdpgjR92o5%2B4N96u98Hx65x5dJkbMaa8SQi7kktdPrJNHAqIL3SdTjMxlZCzKEPqFD8Ywry7xdCjzCbxQ30O%2BwtkEOvE64Adj8ZpE%2FlgdhrbJtmxw4P4vBh1vemkxjrcTecrrEcya23q01xKHGnaIBx2T1Zps9MF%2By9OWG%2BPGetxEQfInSmDk3NeFS4KMCRRG8ozUALo6s0A%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5yCp6H1Yg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CChris said:

I installed a 730 for 4.3 AMUs earlier this year. 2.5 for the unit with an additional carb temp probe through Aircraft Spruce. The installation was done by a local A&P based in South Florida. Everything ready in one week, but I already had an old EGT and Carb Temp monitor from the paleolitic era, so that must have helped the install since the exhaust was already drilled.

$2300 for install?  Wow, that is FANTASTIC!  I was quoted $2k more.

I guess I should clarify my earlier post.  It was intended to be a baseline for an all in inexpensive (I know... what is inexpensive) engine monitor.  What I didn't say and should have said is this ...  Temporary labor is the same as permanent labor, it takes the same amount of time to install wiring to different sensors temporarily as it does permanently, unless of course you don't want to fly the airplane in the mean time.  Then you can just run all the wires thru the window and sit in the cockpit running the engine acting like a pilot to your hearts content.   The 730 is a reasonably inexpensive engine monitor with good options. I haven't done any shopping for a used 730 but I'm sure they exist.  The OP did not state what he wanted to monitor, only that he wanted, a temporary, practical and efficient engine monitor.  He just spent a tidy sum on a reman engine, a turbo-charged engine no less.  He understandably wants to protect the investment.  For a year or possibly longer.  What is practical and efficient.  I will leave that question to the OP.  He is the only one that knows his remaining budget and his definitions of practical and efficient.  Is 10% of the engine cost efficient or is 30% of the engine cost efficient.  I don't know.

Given the large amount of labor involved in installing an engine monitor, trying to do an affordable temporary is a difficult proposition.  If you are able to do most of the install yourself it opens up the possibility.  

I think my main concern would be compatibility between the temp units probes and the final unit.  I.e. if I was to install a 700 as a temp I would make sure those probes were compatible with the 900 so when it came time to upgrade you wouldn’t have to pay again for probes and install labor.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

Given the large amount of labor involved in installing an engine monitor, trying to do an affordable temporary is a difficult proposition.  If you are able to do most of the install yourself it opens up the possibility.  

I think my main concern would be compatibility between the temp units probes and the final unit.  I.e. if I was to install a 700 as a temp I would make sure those probes were compatible with the 900 so when it came time to upgrade you wouldn’t have to pay again for probes and install labor.  

On the EDM700/800/830 There are 8 CHT/EGT probes so 16 terminations.  I find it tedious and boring, do not want to do it often.  The harness and probes are the same part numbers as the EDM900.  The FF, OAT, OT, RPM transducers are the same.  The P1 power harness may or may not be the same.  MP, FP, OP are different.

With a bit of forethought, install the correct P1 harness etc and make a good logbook entry and then you are ready for a future EDM900 or 930 upgrade.

The Garmin GI-275 EIS can use JPI probes, but the wires need to be re-pinned on the instrument side.  I am not familiar with the EI or Dynon systems.

Aerodon

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you everyone for you past inpute. I did pick up a used JPI 700 and all the harness and probes I need and am getting ready to install it.

Couple of quick questions. As I understand it I need to keep my OEM CHT.  So do I connect that probe to a spark plug and the JPI to a bayonet? 

Do you use a bit of locktite on the probes going in to the heads?

Dick

10 hours ago, Dick Denenny said:

Thank you everyone for you past inpute. I did pick up a used JPI 700 and all the harness and probes I need and am getting ready to install it.

Couple of quick questions. As I understand it I need to keep my OEM CHT.  So do I connect that probe to a spark plug and the JPI to a bayonet? 

Do you use a bit of locktite on the probes going in to the heads?

Dick

No, you leave the OEM probe alone and use the s[arkplug gasket probe for the JPI.

No locktite, maybe use spark plug thread lubricant so they don't get locked in.

Aerodon