Needed--Replacement iPad

Hank

My wife's ipad started flashing befween black screen and white screen with black apple. Doesn't stop until the battery runs down; once charged, it starts again. Geek Squad says its dead.

Any other opinions / repairs?

If not, I'm in the market but am not an apple follower. What's a good place to shop? What's a fair price these days? Got one you no longer need?

Think the latest version of iPad mini is the 5th generation.  4th and 5 gen have a slightly different size so if you were flying with your old one on your yoke mount the newer version might not fit depending on RAM mount.  
price will depend on memory size and whether you go Wi-Fi only or wifi plus cellular service.  I think it’s $500 to $650 respectively for the lower memory option. 
I have an older 2nd gen mini but it might frustrate you as the current apple OS updates don’t really run optimally on older iPad and iPhone versions……that’s how they get ya……my grandpa would say……

17 minutes ago, anthonydesmet said:

Think the latest version of iPad mini is the 5th generation.  4th and 5 gen have a slightly different size so if you were flying with your old one on your yoke mount the newer version might not fit depending on RAM mount.  
price will depend on memory size and whether you go Wi-Fi only or wifi plus cellular service.  I think it’s $500 to $650 respectively for the lower memory option. 
I have an older 2nd gen mini but it might frustrate you as the current apple OS updates don’t really run optimally on older iPad and iPhone versions……that’s how they get ya……my grandpa would say……

The latest is the 6th

Good place to go is https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

• Like 1

Could be one of the buttons is locked in “push” mode, try spraying with electronic cleaner. But chances are even if that’s the problem, the Idevices are so tightly made (and water resistant) the cleaner won’t be able to penetrate. You can just buy a generic iPad (no cellular, non pro) for $330, and it will run any EFB just fine.

Hank:

Don’t know if you folks in the US have an equivalent, but I just got my backup iPad (Gen 4 mini) back from Ubreakifix for not being able to connect to any wifi. Two days and $120.00 Cdn later it is back.  They have replaced screens and batteries for me in iPhones and iPads over the years. They know their stuff.  Never had any issues with their work. 

5 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

got my backup iPad (Gen 4 mini) back from Ubreakifix for not being able to connect to any wifi. Two days and $120.00 Cdn later it is back.  They have replaced screens and batteries for me in iPhones and iPads over the years. They know their stuff.  Never had any issues with their work. 

As with aircraft mechanics, I think it depends more on the person doing the work than the name of the business.  UbreakIfix fixed the problem I was having with my Samsung phone, but destroyed the internal connections to the auxiliary memory card. 

You can buy last generation IPads on EBay for 1/3 of new price.

I have changed quite a few screens and batteries. They are very cheap. The skills are not over the top. My only advice is to clean off all the chips and debris from the old screen before sticking on the new one. Looking at the surface with a microscope is a good idea.

With your problem, you need to replace the CPU board. You have to replace the screen because it is almost impossible to get one off without breaking it. You might as well replace the battery while you are at it. In other words the only part you will be able to salvage is the case. And a few peripherals like the camera and radio. Listen to Geek Squad and buy a new(er) one.