Garmin dual G5 or?

I have dual G5s and am very pleased with them. To me the biggest advantage to dual GI 275s is that you can get rid of most of the other instruments if you want freeing up a lot of panel space. I have considered installing a GI 275 in place of my TC to use as a back up ADI/TC and MFD for map, traffic, weather, HSI, etc. but it seems hard to justify right now. 

Edited by JimB

On 3/16/2021 at 9:31 AM, sdflysurf said:

Good to know - Does anyone have a copy of their letter with the N number location?  I'll double check that I can get that through my Garmin Dealer for no charge or if he has to buy it like a part-number/sku on their system.

Yes,

Document is called: Permission to use FAA STC SA1818WI; installation of Garmin G5...

It is specific to my name (?) and airplane Model and S/n and you download it from the Garmin website (with STC, install manual and flight supplement using the code included with the unit. This is the same way as GTX335; both are the units allowed to be installed by no dealers. 

I just completed the installation work myself with my IA supervising and (soon) signing the paperwork. I didn't find it difficult, major work was only getting a new pilot panel for recessed installation and modern 6-pack configuration and nulites.

Good luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimB said:

I have dual G5s and am very pleased with them. To me the biggest advantage to dual GI 275s is that you can get rid of most of the other instruments if you want freeing up a lot of panel space. I have considered installing a GI 275 in place of my TC to use as a back up ADI/TC and MFD for map, traffic, weather, HSI, etc. but it seems hard to justify right now. 

I have wondered if that would be legal... I also have 2 G5s.  The G5s require us to keep the backup instruments.  So I know you can replace the tc with an ADI, but wouldn’t you have to set it up only as an ADI?

Yes, the dual 275 let you get rid of a lot of other instruments and your vacuum system.  Providing they are ADAHRS units, one can't be just an MFD.

Easiest way to confirm is to ask your avionics guy that has to live by knowing the various configurations.  AND sign their name to the installation.

11 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I have wondered if that would be legal... I also have 2 G5s.  The G5s require us to keep the backup instruments.  So I know you can replace the tc with an ADI, but wouldn’t you have to set it up only as an ADI?

Technically per the STC installation manual yes...;) but I believe I could easily get a field approval to configure it as MFD/STANDBY ADI. My G5 HSI already automatically switches over to an AI if the primary attitude indicator fails so the GI-275/ADI is basically acting as a back up to the back up. So we would have the original Airspeed indictor, Altimeter and VSI along with 2 battery backed up G5s and a battery backed up GI 275 that can all function as an AI/TC. I'm not sure how much more redundancy you could put in a small aircraft. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:56 AM, JimB said:

I have considered installing a GI 275 in place of my TC to use as a back up ADI/TC and MFD for map, traffic, weather, HSI, etc. but it seems hard to justify right now. 

This would be a great way to get the update ball rolling...

TCs have killed pilots even recently...

The instruments wear, and become unusable in turbulence...

Or the pilot gets overloaded under partial panel...

The life-saver electric AI has been around for awhile because the TC is a crappy back-up device...

We could have a TC tossing ceremony... each time one gets replaced using an actual AI...

:)

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guru...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1