ForeFlight and Avidyne Skytrax 100

Bartman

Ok so I'm about to pull the trigger on an Avidyne solution.

1. Trade in the 430w for the IFD440 with Wifi, Bluetooth, FLTA
  2. Replace KT76A with the AXP340 for ADS-B Out
  3. Skytrax 100 ADS-B in

I use ForeFlight and I'm not sure I understand everything I know about how all of this will work.  I love ForeFlight, but the Status can be a pain sometimes. Gotta remember to charge it up, or have more cables in the cockpit. And once I left it at home, drove to the airport, and had to go back and get it.  My big question is will I still need the Stratus 2s, or will the Skytrax 100 ADS-b in box drive both, either directly from Skytrax 100 to the iPad and IFD440 simultaneously, or from the Skytrax to the IFD440 and then back to the IPad via wifi or Bluetooth ?

45 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Ok so I'm about to pull the trigger on an Avidyne solution.

1. Trade in the 430w for the IFD440 with Wifi, Bluetooth, FLTA
  2. Replace KT76A with the AXP340 for ADS-B Out
  3. Skytrax 100 ADS-B in

I use ForeFlight and I'm not sure I understand everything I know about how all of this will work.  I love ForeFlight, but the Status can be a pain sometimes. Gotta remember to charge it up, or have more cables in the cockpit. And once I left it at home, drove to the airport, and had to go back and get it.  My big question is will I still need the Stratus 2s, or will the Skytrax 100 ADS-b in box drive both, either directly from Skytrax 100 to the iPad and IFD440 simultaneously, or from the Skytrax to the IFD440 and then back to the IPad via wifi or Bluetooth ?

The Skytrax will provide ADS-B out, but will only provide ADS-B in to the IFD440. To get ADS-B in on Foreflight you'll still need a Stratus, a Stratux or a GDL 39.

The Skytrax 100 will paint the ADSB traffic and weather on the IFD440 so you shouldn't need it on the iPad. Full disclosure, I haven't got the weather portion running on my Skytrax/IFD540 running yet and so I continue to use my Stratus with ForeFlight. 

*I should also say that I have an IFD540 and not the 440, so I don't have any direct experience with the 440.

At one time I would have endorsed your decision.  But now, I would say do it another way.  The Skytrax 100 is made by Navworx.  Even though the Skytrax 100 was not part of the AD, Navworx has ceased operations and I think you will be buying an orphaned adsb receiver.

http://www.navworx.com/

Edited by tony

If the Skytrax100 does not crossfill or whatever you call it from the IFD440 via wifi or Bluetooth to the Ipad to drive Foreflight then it does not fulfill my reason to purchase. Also I was not aware it was manufactured by Navworx so that is a factor.  Looks like the IFD440 and AXP340 are well respected and will serve my purpose.  

Thanks guys.

The SkyTrax100 provides ADS-B weather and traffic to the IFDs. The IFDs will Wifi out the ASD-B weather and traffic to any device that supports it. The IFD100 iPad app will display weather and traffic received from the IFD4XX or 5XX. I believe the current ForeFlight version does not support the weather and traffic received from the IFD. Foreflight does support the two-way flight plan communication and receiving GPS position from the IFDs.

• Like 2

I have a Skytrax 100 and IFD550

I can see the weather and traffic from the Skytrax 100 on ForeFlight. But that is not how I have it configured. I still use the Stratus. The Skytrax will not show traffic received directly from another plane where the Stratus will. I see a lot more traffic from the Stratus. I have the network set up so the IFD500 joins the Stratus network as a client. I can still send flight plans between the IFD and ForeFlight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I have a Skytrax 100 and IFD550

I can see the weather and traffic from the Skytrax 100 on ForeFlight. But that is not how I have it configured. I still use the Stratus. The Skytrax will not show traffic received directly from another plane where the Stratus will. I see a lot more traffic from the Stratus. I have the network set up so the IFD500 joins the Stratus network as a client. I can still send flight plans between the IFD and ForeFlight.

I was looking at a similar setup and discovered since the Skytrax is UAT (978), it will only get the 1090-ES traffic from a rebroadcast (ADS-R) where the Stratus 2 receives both 1090 and UAT.

I pulled the trigger on the setup you’re planning, and don’t regret it one bit. I replaced my KT76a with the AXP322 instead. I have the IFD100 on one iPad and still use foreflight on the other. I have kept my Stratus because the Skytrax100 doesn’t display Wx or traffic onto foreflight. But anticipate it will at some point. I would like to get rid of the Stratus because it’s another thing to remember to bring and more importantly keep charged. But when I do fly other planes it is nice to have. The only thing I would do differently. I would of bought the 440 outright and tried to sell the 430w at a better price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I pulled the trigger on the setup you’re planning, and don’t regret it one bit. I replaced my KT76a with the AXP322 instead. I have the IFD100 on one iPad and still use foreflight on the other. I have kept my Stratus because the Skytrax100 doesn’t display Wx or traffic onto foreflight. But anticipate it will at some point. I would like to get rid of the Stratus because it’s another thing to remember to bring and more importantly keep charged. But when I do fly other planes it is nice to have. The only thing I would do differently. I would of bought the 440 outright and tried to sell the 430w at a better price.

Thanks for the PIREP. I am getting the IFD440 regardless. My last decision is whether to go with the AXP322 remote mounted or AXP340 panel mounted transponder.  If I go remote then I can remove the transponder from the panel, and I have an old CD player above it that goes with the PMA7000CD setup that can be removed too.  I have not used the CD in years, so removal of the KT76A and CD player directly above would be a good start on a future panel update.  Might be a good spot for a EDM 900 or 930 and remove the old ship gauges.

I looked at a couple of Youtube videos and the IFD440 - IFD100 combination looked awesome.  If the Skytrax100 displays ADS-B weather and traffic on the IFD100 app and the IFD440 NavCom then that looks like a really great combination.  Also, Foreflight has opened up to play well with others so I bet they make a future deal with Avidyne on the Wifi.  Even if they don't then I still see benefit to the Syktrax100 to get weather on the IFD440 and IFD100, so I'm leaning toward getting all 3.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bartman said:

Thanks for the PIREP. I am getting the IFD440 regardless. My last decision is whether to go with the AXP322 remote mounted or AXP340 panel mounted transponder.  If I go remote then I can remove the transponder from the panel, and I have an old CD player above it that goes with the PMA7000CD setup that can be removed too.  I have not used the CD in years, so removal of the KT76A and CD player directly above would be a good start on a future panel update.  Might be a good spot for a EDM 900 or 930 and remove the old ship gauges.

I looked at a couple of Youtube videos and the IFD440 - IFD100 combination looked awesome.  If the Skytrax100 displays ADS-B weather and traffic on the IFD100 app and the IFD440 NavCom then that looks like a really great combination.  Also, Foreflight has opened up to play well with others so I bet they make a future deal with Avidyne on the Wifi.  Even if they don't then I still see benefit to the Syktrax100 to get weather on the IFD440 and IFD100, so I'm leaning toward getting all 3.

I would do the remote transponder and free up panel space. I didn't, I went with the AXP340, which is a good transponder, but I regret not going remote.

• Like 2

Can’t go wrong with the AXP322, my only concern was if the IFD440 goes out in flight you lose control of the transponder. But Lance let me know it will continue to squawk the last code it received.

• Like 1

Decision made and order requested with avionics shop.

1. Pull the CD player and sell it if there is any interest
  2. Pull the KT76A and sell if there is any interest
  3. Install remote mounted AXP322 transponder
  4. Make a cover for the hole for now versus clean up the right side with a new panel (second choice location for EDM 900 next year)
  5. Replace 430W and sell separately instead of the trade-in, and replace with new IFD440 Wifi/BT,FLTA
  6. Make sure audio alerts with cutoff switch, and everything hooked up to IFD440 as recommended by several members (many thanks)
  7. New Skytrax 100 for ADS-B in weather and traffic to the IFD440 Navcom and IFD100 app
  8. Keep the Status for backup while I decided if the IFD100 app meets my needs (I think it will since I'm always IFR anyway for traffic anyway)
  9. Get rid of a 396/Gizmo panel mount that she came with, I'm sure there is a market for this (first choice location for EDM 900 next year)
  10. Add a female input on the panel for a Wifi dongle (or something similar ) for Wifi music input to the PMA7000

Thanks for all of the input and helping me spend/save money !    Pictures to follow in a few weeks --->> months:)

1 minute ago, Bartman said:

Decision made and order requested with avionics shop.

1. Pull the CD player and sell it if there is any interest
  2. Pull the KT76A and sell if there is any interest
  3. Install remote mounted AXP322 transponder
  4. Make a cover for the hole for now versus clean up the right side with a new panel (second choice location for EDM 900 next year)
  5. Replace 430W and sell separately instead of the trade-in, and replace with new IFD440 Wifi/BT,FLTA
  6. Make sure audio alerts with cutoff switch, and everything hooked up to IFD440 as recommended by several members (many thanks)
  7. New Skytrax 100 for ADS-B in weather and traffic to the IFD440 Navcom and IFD100 app
  8. Keep the Status for backup while I decided if the IFD100 app meets my needs (I think it will since I'm always IFR anyway for traffic anyway)
  9. Get rid of a 396/Gizmo panel mount that she came with, I'm sure there is a market for this (first choice location for EDM 900 next year)
  10. Add a female input on the panel for a Wifi dongle (or something similar ) for Wifi music input to the PMA7000

Thanks for all of the input and helping me spend/save money !    Pictures to follow in a few weeks --->> months:)

7. The Skytrax will send it to the IFD440. Then the IFD 440 is sending it to the IFD100 app or Foreflight in a future version. So unless you are getting an unbelievable deal on the Skytrax, it might be wise to pre-wire, but wait on that. If Avidyne comes up with a Dual Band "Skytrax" from another vendor (not the one who just went out of business) you might be better off.

10. You want a Bluetooth dongle, not WiFi. 

Lets just say I am very satisfied with what I have been quoted if I buy the IFD440 and AXP322, and add on the Skytrax 100

@N201MKTurbo posted you can connect the IFD to the Stratus and use Foreflight dual ADS-b, but the IFD100 app looks awesome in the Youtube videos. If development continues I could see the IFD100 being real competition for ForeFlight and others. What's to stop them?  Either that or they form partnership and open up ForeFlight to engage with Avidyne ADS-b in.  Maybe that's why we are seeing good deals on trade-in, drop Garmin and get you hooked on Avidyne integrated products, develop their own proprietary app etc....

• Like 1

I keep the Garmin 430 subscription up to date and as stated above have already verified that Jepp will change my subscription from Garmin to Avidyne.

Got the thumbs up from the shop today and sounds like this will happen sooner rather than later.  Small shops have advantages....

• Like 1