Replacement engine options for Mooney 231

I'm looking to buy a nice 231 that has a run out engine and factored this cost into the purchase. Besides a reman engine from Airpower or major overhaul, what would good long term viable new engine options for the TSIO-360-GB1 that the plane currently has in it. It's a nice Mooney with great updated avionics and flies smooth.

Thanks I'm wondering what new Continental engines fit the Mooney 231 and pricing? I plan to keep me new baby long time and factor new engine would be ideal over a reman, used, overhaul one. I had trouble finding this on Continental website. Plane is gorgeous and faster than a new or used Cirrus or Bonanza at half the cost. 

LB is your only option for a reman or factory new

http://www.airpowerinc.com/productcart/pc/engines.asp?searchParm=tsio360LB&catID=69

There used to be a couple shops that did 261 and 262 conversions where they would put an MB engine in which had an intercooler and automatic waste gate, but no one I've heard of does those anymore. I'm not sure who holds the STC for those conversions.

In addition to the big name shops, there are some good shops that do quality overhauls. Upon overhaul, it will be updated from a GB to an LB.

http://www.jewellaviation.com/overhauls.htm

http://www.jbaircraftengines.com/price-lists/continental-aircraft-engine-overhaul/

• Like 1

Thanks plane has both a Merlyn wastegate and intercooler so hopefully these are still viable and don't need replacement and can be used with new engine. Even though turbo costs more, from a safety perspective out here west, it's safety peace of mind flying to places like Tahoe, Vegas, and New Mexico with high density altitudes and mountains.

When you say "run out" engine, I assume you are talking about hours since overhaul. I hope you are going to see how it goes before replacing the engine. The engine may have quite a few free hours left in it. If it runs well and oil consumption not too bad, run it until it has a problem.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, manoflamancha said:

Engine has 1500 hours with a top done 140 hours ago. I think TBO on the 231 stock engine the TSIO-360-GB1 is 1800 hours. Making it TBO would be a dream giving me extra time to fly and put in extra funds. 

that engine could run a long time.

• Like 1

As Lance said, your only option is the LB. Given the Merlyn and Intercooler I would suggest not going with a factory engine when the time comes - although you are likely far from that day. But instead, I would recommend going with a good engine rebuilder that will build it up with the Merlyn and Intercooler. Otherwise it will will cost you a bundle to re-add the Merlyn and intercooler after the otherwise complete factory engine arrives. Plus I wonder if that will negatively affect your CMI Warranty so you should discuss your plans to modify the engine with them to find out - remember neither of those parts are approved by CMI. As it is you will want to talk to both engine rebuilders as well as CMI since you are in a rather unique situation going from the GB to LB. The change requires an all new induction tubes, pump and fuel servo as I recall properly plus some other items - those parts are likely to add significantly so you'll want to find out who can do that in the most affordable fashion and how (new or used parts); then add in your need to include your Merlyn and intercooler and see how it all totals out. But if you are really buying this as if it has a run out GB engine you'll be fine, but additional details suggest its far from run out with a recent top (depending on how it was topped).

One suggestion. If this is your first aircraft purchase I suggest looking into Savvy's pre-purchase inspection. Savvy will give you just the right amount of guidance and advice that should ensure all the bases are covered to avoid any big surprises after purchase. I work for Savvy. One of our account managers, Ryan is also with Western Skyways, one of the country's biggest engine rebuilders, and i am sure he could give you good advice on your engine rebuilding options down the road as well.  

You may be perfectly happy with the 231, but when I went down that path many years ago, i was very happy to be able to upgrade to the 252 a year later to get a real turbo installation that really performed in the flight levels and was also greatly cleaned up from the 231. Plus it has the option of upgrading to the Encore for the 230 lb gross weight increase as I have been doing to mine. I certainly don't mean to knock the 231's, not at all, and most get by just fine; but the 252 is a huge improvement and worth waiting for if need be. Yet they are rare. Either way I wish you the best of luck with whatever you get.

• Like 1

Just now, DonMuncy said:

I'm with Paul. If you could upgrade to the 252 or Encore, that would be great, but I think they are pretty expensive. I have a 231 and like it, but think I would rather have a 252.

if ours had tks I wouldn't have a single complaint for the 2 of us... and a sandwich. but everyone is different.

Edited by peevee

Of course I'd rather have a 252 or encore but it's double the cost of a 231 even after factoring a new or reman engine, and for that money, I'd get an older Ovation or Bravo. 

Of course both would be newer airframes, the Ovation would be a downgrade with respect to performance at altitude and the Bravo will burn up a lot more fuel its 20 extra knots or so. They certainly both have their sweat spots, but the 252/Encore is the sweet spot in high altitude economy/efficiency .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk