Generator blown enroute to Oshkosh :(

We where over central WY (Worland) on our way to KOSH.  Started losing electronics then the low voltage light came on.

Seems we lost our generator.  Called a bunch of nearby places, nobody has it in stock that we've managed to get ahold of.  We're way far away from our home base, anyone got any tips?

Crap, I have one I took out of my C in perfect working condition (I put in the alternator conversion). I would let you have it for free but I'm at Oshkosh right now. I could probably get my wife to ship it overnight but Sunday would be the earliest you'll get it. PM me if you have not found a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We where over central WY (Worland) on our way to KOSH.  Started losing electronics then the low voltage light came on.

Seems we lost our generator.  Called a bunch of nearby places, nobody has it in stock that we've managed to get ahold of.  We're way far away from our home base, anyone got any tips?

Sent you a PM with my cell number. You got a couple of choices. Text me a shipping address and I'll get my wife to ship you the generator fastest possible way. Looks like you have another option to have a generator waiting for you here at Oshkosh too. That would mean flying the rest of the way here without radios but a portable might be enough to get here since you basically need to listen only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're currently thinking that we charge up tonight.  Camp here and then pull all the breakers/turn off the master and takeoff.  When we get in the vicinity we'll turn on a radio and leave everything else off.

Then hopefully find a roving A&P at Oshkosh and meet up with bdpetersen

• Like 1

Check for the simple things liked frayed wire or loose connection.

the wires are pretty short.  Generator, voltage regulator, battery.:)

consider...  (Kmart Walmart may have these things available)

- having a volt meter to keep an eye on how much you have left.

- run your Transponder to keep everyone informed of your presence.

- use a 12V jumpstart battery device to supply some extra amps.

- be familiar with the Nordo procedure in the event you end up Nordo...

May the Mooney gods be with you...

Best regards,

-a-

May everyone have a safe flight in...

Interesting thought. I wonder how much this would help. On a good sunny day with the solar charger on the glare shied, in direct sunlight, do you think it might run a radio or perhaps transponder.

• Like 1

If you still have the generator and have not upgraded to an alternator it's unlikely the generator is the problem. They don't have diodes like alternators, but will occasionally need new brushes. It's likely that you have a broken wire, bad regulator or bad breaker. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kerry said:

I've had generators go bad.  In the past I've taken them to a local electric motor repair shop.  Very reasonable to OH.  $45. verses Aircraft Spruce OH unit costing $360

The same generator is used on farm tractors. This is why electrical shops know about them. Might be hard to get it fixed on a Sunday though.

Yves

• Like 1

13 hours ago, druidjaidan said:

Try flashing the field.  This is free and sometimes fixes a generator that won't charge.  

So long as you don't exceed the amp rating of the fuse behind the cigar lighter jack, you can also use a cable to back feed power from a car boost starter pack.  This will easily power a single nav/com for hours.  I used this once to get back from Dallas to Memphis in my 64E, and then carried it for months while I worked thru a intermittant issue with my alternator.  So long as you have manual gear.  Example; google this for the Walmart version; but any auto parts store should sell one:

Stanley 'FatMax'  700-Amp Peak Jump Starter

• Like 1

We made it safe and sound to OSH.   When we left Wyoming we tried powering some things and where able to run 1 radio,  the intercom and basic engine instruments.   Eventually we got a draining light again and powered off the radio.   Then after a while we got a draining light again and had to cut to just master with basically every breaker pulled except the warning horns.   

Turned on the radio 45 from RIPON and picked the ATIS.  Back off until just before RIPON.  Then all the way in.   Parked way off in VAC.

Pretty confident we where getting some charge.   So I would bet against a loose wire.   But I'll have an A&P look at it and meet up with BDPeterson once we're settled. 

• Like 5

We made it safe and sound to OSH.   When we left Wyoming we tried powering some things and where able to run 1 radio,  the intercom and basic engine instruments.   Eventually we got a draining light again and powered off the radio.   Then after a while we got a draining light again and had to cut to just master with basically every breaker pulled except the warning horns.   

Turned on the radio 45 from RIPON and picked the ATIS.  Back off until just before RIPON.  Then all the way in.   Parked way off in VAC.

Pretty confident we where getting some charge.   So I would bet against a loose wire.   But I'll have an A&P look at it and meet up with BDPeterson once we're settled. 

Glad you made it OK. Nice to meet you today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am interested to know what the problem was in the end? Was it brushes or voltage reg? I ask because I have a 64E that i just bought a few months ago. It stopped charging and I have converted to a regulator system. Maybe I shouldn't have decided to do that so quickly? It may have been something simple. 

John,

I know you were still dealing with this issue in Oshkosh. Just curious how this got resolved. Did you replace the generator or was it something else?

10 hours ago, Hector said:

John,

I know you were still dealing with this issue in Oshkosh. Just curious how this got resolved. Did you replace the generator or was it something else?

I mentioned to you when we spoke that I suspected that he didn't understand the differences between a generator and an alternator, and I was right.   The mechanic bumbled the diagnostic he had me do over the phone so unfortunately it wasn't just the voltage regulator.  So then he starts showing me how the lower cowl comes off and I was more than a bit uncomfortable with doing that much disassembly, in a time crunch, unsupervised, for the first time, over grass, in the baking sun.   So I paid him to do it... Sadly now I'm sitting in the hotel waiting for him to actually do it and hoping he's better at turning wrenches than he is at electronics. 

Edited by druidjaidan