Advice dealing with hail claim, insurance adj. paint, etc

garytex

Wow, after a little gentle persuasion, the insurance company indicated they would pay the full amount to paint the airplane at the high-quality local shop. I had touched base with a AOPA on Thursday where I purchased he insurance from the carrier which is named QBE, and they said they were going to talk to the claims manager but I do not know if they did or not. I also maintained a very friendly absolutely dead honest, even when I thought that might not be to my advantage, and reasonable dialogue with the adjuster, and I think that helped some. On Friday I asked that they either pay me to paint the airplane both top and bottom or total it, and I guess they figured it was cheaper to pay me.

Financially I still don't know if this is good or bad news, but I know that I don't have to go try to find a different airplane, with all the attendant cans of worms that can be contained there in. At least I'm not going to have to take an obvious hicky and I'll have that shiny new paint to help swallow the bitter pill of, as they say in the ads " light damage history"

Thanks to all who took the time to hear my tail of woe and respond, greatly appreciated

Gary

• Like 2

I'm happy to hear this!  The devil you know is likely always going to be better than rolling the dice, and as you already know, you likely couldn't find an equivalent plane (even after de-squawking) to what you already have.  Keeping a good Mooney flying is always nice, too.  I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over hail damage history...that is easy to fix and won't have any issues lurking in the future IMO.  You might take a LOT of detailed pictures of the damage prior to repairs/paint so you can show that to a prospective buyer at some point (way) in the future.

Now comes the fun part of designing a paint scheme and picking colors!

Wow, after a little gentle persuasion, the insurance company indicated they would pay the full amount to paint the airplane at the high-quality local shop. I had touched base with a AOPA on Thursday where I purchased he insurance from the carrier which is named QBE, and they said they were going to talk to the claims manager but I do not know if they did or not. I also maintained a very friendly absolutely dead honest, even when I thought that might not be to my advantage, and reasonable dialogue with the adjuster, and I think that helped some. On Friday I asked that they either pay me to paint the airplane both top and bottom or total it, and I guess they figured it was cheaper to pay me.

Financially I still don't know if this is good or bad news, but I know that I don't have to go try to find a different airplane, with all the attendant cans of worms that can be contained there in. At least I'm not going to have to take an obvious hicky and I'll have that shiny new paint to help swallow the bitter pill of, as they say in the ads " light damage history"

Thanks to all who took the time to hear my tail of woe and respond, greatly appreciated

Gary

Gary -- glad it is working out. BTW -- how is that attitude indicator I sent you working out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marauder

I'm sorry I do not understand, if you're talking about an actual attitude indicator I had one overhauled in Wichita Kansas A couple of years ago and remember having a very enjoyable chat with the technician, was that you?

Or are you speaking metaphorically?

Marauder

I'm sorry I do not understand, if you're talking about an actual attitude indicator I had one overhauled in Wichita Kansas A couple of years ago and remember having a very enjoyable chat with the technician, was that you?

Marauder

Sorry Gary, I got you mixed up with another Texan, also a Gary (BigTex). He sent out a request for an AI that someone may have laying around. I sent him a spare I had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least I'm not going to have to take an obvious hicky and I'll have that shiny new paint to help swallow the bitter pill of, as they say in the ads " light damage history"

Gary

Gary,

Based on everything that you've said about how you maintain your plane, if I was still in the market I'd put your plane at the top of my list of must-sees.  Properly repaired/repainted hail damage means nothing to me.  A very well cared for 50 year-old plane means everything. 

Hope you get her back soon!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I just got that dreaded call that a hail storm moved through and had her way with my 201. I'll post separately but am just trying to process it right now. Same damage extent as Gary it looks like. I'll be on the phone with falcon momentarily. I feel awful as had I known severe weather was on its way I would have pulled her inside but was instead sleeping of a night shift. Poor poor plane.

Btw I am really not enjoying western PA weather. Awful winters and true Midwest summers. Ugh. Don't mean to offend any natives.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These old planes aren't getting any more abundant. Every year some crash or rot away. Good airframes like you seem to have aren't getting any easier to find. If I were you, I would just accept that it's not perfect situation. Crap happens to all of us. If you try to trade this problem away, then you will likely be getting many more problems that will be surprises later. It seems that you know your plane well and have it setup how you like it. For most of us, that takes years and a lot more money. Just be patient and find some good used control surfaces and just fly it meanwhile. Get what you can from the insurance company, then cut them loose. Seems like your broker isn't helping you, which is what they are paid to soon my opinion.

Life is too short... Don't give up the plane you love because she got a few bruises. It sounds like even with the bruises, you still have a very fine plane and people would be lining up to buy it. ;)

I like your thinking! Fix it to your liking and keep flying it. It'll still fly just as fast as before the damage. Lots of people seem too interested in creative ways to make money on their airplanes. Fix it up, keep enjoying it and don't look back!

My 2 cents.

Patrick