OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

Why no Vodka comrade?

This comrade doesn't like vodka straight, scotch/bourbon I can sip on by itself. No mixers here at the office (that's a lie, I know of one guy who works for me that keeps jim beam and coke in his desk drawer) and the ice machine is a pain in the ass to operate. Actually, other than Chopin, I've never been fond of vodka. More of a wino anyway, few cases UPS delivered I have not had a chance to take home yet.

2qa62a0.jpg

This comrade doesn't like vodka straight, scotch/bourbon I can sip on by itself. No mixers here at the office (that's a lie, I know of one guy who works for me that keeps jim beam and coke in his desk drawer) and the ice machine is a pain in the ass to operate. Actually, other than Chopin, I've never been fond of vodka. More of a wino anyway, few cases UPS delivered I have not had a chance to take home yet.

Sounds like the same environment as Madmen.

Incorrect, tylenol and ethanol. Ibuprofen and booze go hand in hand. Tylenol doesn't really go with anything. That crap is bad for your liver. 

The gist of my reply was that we are without a Surgeon General because the Republican's won't confirm Obama's appointee. The reason given is that he supports enhanced background checks on guns. 

What's in your office....?

Lots of flight sim boxes? Do you sell this stuff?

Where is your allegiance to brand quality? Don't you pay extra for the best in quality ibuprofen?

Everybody should show a picture of their office...

Best regards,

-a-

A client of mine bought the flight sim stuff for me as a gift. Been sitting here for a few weeks. Need to take it home or sell it on eBay. Not really my cup of tea. I've been so swamped that Ive been playing passenger for last 6 months other than Oshkosh. Decided to keep the bravo for hops between here and desmoines and kc and my personal trips and get flown in the TBM for flights over 200nm. One of these days I'll

Have the time to go to simcom and actually get checked out in that thing.

• Like 1

My office is really unimpressive...

But it has a few plane and car models that were built when my kids were really young.

I use the Bayer aspirin. I hear it improves blood viscosity. I favor the brand names...

Flight sim is from 2004... It was upgraded a few times. Now, it is just old. Got it a new disk drive recently, now it works again.

For a room I use everyday, functional, but not pretty.

Sharing because asked?,

-a-

A few pics taken just the past few weeks. Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, NYC, Chicago, Exumas Bahamas, Lake Tahoe, Colorado Rockies, Nassau/ New Providence, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, Mt Rainier, North Mountain Park (Phoenix, AZ) Glenwood Springs, CO ...

That's all really impressive from row 18.

A few pics taken just the past few weeks. Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, NYC, Chicago, Exumas Bahamas, Lake Tahoe, Colorado Rockies, Nassau/ New Providence, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, Mt Rainier, North Mountain Park (Phoenix, AZ) Glenwood Springs, CO ...

You know you've made it when the plane you fly has windshield wipers. Way to go Dave.

• Like 2

Oh no! Haha! I don't own it!

And we never could!

Just lowly C owners here!

Brings to mind, our first Bahamas trip last year, as we passed through Customs to depart, we walked by someone's (Does Mark Cuban have one?) private 757. I thought to myself, "What do these people do for a living?"

I knew it wasn't yours personally, but anyone that has been given the privilege of flying that kind of aircraft has made it to the top.

I have a good friend that flies right seat on American 767's, but for some reason he just loves flying in the Mooney. 

• Like 1

And they pay me for it too!

It may sound weird from your perspective, but I am WAY more excited about the Mooney!

(Not directed to anyone in particular: Didn't mean to sound egotistical ? I'll take my love of flying to another thread. Wrong thread? You may resume solving the world's problems. :-) The office is STILL the office ... and it's sometimes a bummer when it's time to go to work ... I am trying to capture the good moments and dwell on them! My grandparents BEGGED me to go on to law school, even offered to help pay for it, but I wanted to be a pilot? Sigh .... )

I guess work is still work, but I live by the old adage: "The man who loves his job doesn't work a day in his life".

• Like 1

Years ago A friend that was flying news copters for KGO and I were talking and as I was so amazed about how cool his job was he said the thing is after a while its just a bus with alot of gauges. he went on to fly a few tours in a Blackhawk and flew 757 for Continental.

• Like 1

That's a great saying.

I try to live that too, but some days it's still work. (I.e. moderate turbulence, 33G43 at your destination)

In those early years of deciding a career, My Dad told me once, "First, do what you love, and if you get good at it ... the money will come ... "

A smart man (Solomon in Ecclesiasties) when pondering the meaning of life once said in so many words - that it is truly a great blessing (and not one all experience) to enjoy the work of our hands.

I still say that is a great quote and a great thought ... and we are in agreement.

Nevertheless, doing something you love outside of aviation and being the owner of a capable aircraft, like your J, with instrument privileges ... IMHO is the best of both worlds. No right or wrong, just my opinion.

There's not much I see, that you can't see from your Mooney! Except there is this button you push that rings a bell, and a nice person will bring you a cup of marginal coffee! :-)

(IMHO ... The Mooney is harder to fly)

I'm extremely grateful for what I have, but it's all tied to my career as a software developer and the threats from India make for many sleepless nights. I don't think your position could be outsourced as easily.

That is true. We do security in that regard.

When I made the decision as a young college graduate, to go this career path, I didn't quite realize that I had locked myself into a certain pay range, pay and a quality of life directly which would be tied to a seniority number, endless Union issues and contract battles, airline management ethics, and the continual potential for bankruptcies, mergers, domicile changes ... etc.

That is the stuff I try to forget and rise above ... as I enjoy the view and snap a picture.

The 60's are long gone and so is Pan Am. The 747 ruined it for all of us!

See edited above ...

The grass is Always greener.

My comment about the 747 was derived from a rather interesting program I saw a few weeks ago on Smithsonian Channel, "I was a jet stewardess". It chronicled six "stews" that served flew internationally on 707's, DC-8' and VC-10's in the 60's and their fabulous lifestyle. I thought it was going to be hokey but it turned out very interesting with great vintage clips.

The long and short of it is that the introduction of the 747 in 1970 killed all of that.

Thank's, but I will wait on Trey G's report...

You do know what the definition of what "insane" is Scott, don't you?

Maybe another few investigations costing the American taxpayer millions will find what they are looking for but doesn't actually exist. The way I see it, this investigation was headed entirely by the GOP and nothing would have made them happier than to pin this one on Obama, but the evidence just wasn't there.

On the bright side, the Feds believe they found 30,000 emails from Lois Lerner. Let's see where that leads.