M20F TN at 17,800'

After all these years (12) I finally took our turbo-normalized Mooney M20F above 15,000'

17,800' level flight

MP 24.5 (waste gate fully closed)

RPM 2500

FF 11gph

IAS 143MPH

TAS 195MPH

GS 171MPH

Oil temp 194 degrees

OAT 22 degrees F

#1-316 1407, #2-388 1270, #3-375 1377, #4-328 1405

Nice! I always liked the idea of a turbo normalized Lycoming IO-360. Lower cost of operation than the Continentals. Is yours the RayJay, or the M20 unit? Has it been much mechanical headache?

It's the RayJay, installed just after leaving the factory in 1969, in the last 1100 hours we sent the turbo out once for overhaul, Approved Turbo Componants from California overhauled it for $1051.57 (2007) I'm sure for that money they didn't need to replace any major componants.

It has cost us very little but we didn't use it much (flying mostly in the east) but I would expect heavy use would change that.

You might want to have somebody look at your RayJay set up. I just looked back at some of my old pictures and I get 23 inches at FL210. Nice TAS though I usually top out around 165 knots as my flaps are a little hanky.

I agree, my manual indicates that "the system should provide normal sea level cruise power up through 20,000 feet."

I know the waste gate is fully closing, (the cable was adjusted at last annual) it could be that there is leak in the ducting between the compressor and the inlet box.

• 2 weeks later...