1965 M20C leather door handle strap

Hi,

The leather door strap on the interior aft side of the door of my M20C broke during one of my last flights when I tugged it a bit too hard. I'm looking for a replacement but not having much luck on eBay or Google. Do any of you have any leads for such a silly part?

Thanks!

Skybum, I had 3 made in leather (different shades of beige), kept one, gave one to a Mooney owner in Canada and I'll try to find the third one this week when I go to check on my airplane. No charge, I just have to find it. That is if beige suits you, if you need another color let me know and I will not look for it.

I took my manager flying in my Mooney several years ago and when he went to close the door, the strap broke. I told him not to worry but he insisted on fixing it. He took it home and sewed washers on the sides (where it broke). It was very strong after that.

When I had leather seats put in I was given a box of scrap leather--I made the strap with a piece of it and my wife sewed it up for me. I put a piece of nylon strap inside anchored to the attachment bolts. Piece of cake, looks great, will outlast me.

I had the same problem and decided to make an aluminum bracket instead of the strap. It is easier to pull on the door and will last forever. A nice Sunday project.

José

Jose', where did you get the edging you used on the aluminum bracket? I need some like this for another project and would love to find some white silicone about like this.

Thanks

Jose', where did you get the edging you used on the aluminum bracket? I need some like this for another project and would love to find some white silicone about like this.

Thanks

I got it from the door window interior plastic when I replaced the window. They have these in different colors at Pep Boys for door edge protection.

José

Skibum, sorry I could not find the door handle. There are some good suggestions here, I would ad that if you have a wife or girlfriend that can use a sewing machine you can buy a small piece of leatherette in a fabric store and one can be easily sewn. Regards.