A/P

I read the following somewhere written but an avionic shop owner:

"In my humble opinion, the KFC-150 is a piece of junk. This system is full of monitors but the problem is that the monitor system often fail. It's prone to problems. The KFC-150 is a safe autopilot it just fails often and is expensive to keep up and running. The king KFC-200 and KAP-200 are older system but much more reliable autopilot."

Anyone have any comments about that since a lot of Mooney are equiped with KFC-150?

The KAP 150 itself has been as reliable as my former KFC 200. My AP problems came from a failed AI, and in both cases, the pitch servo. When I had my recent AP problem solved by LAC Avionics, we had the KAP 150 sent back to Honeywell it be checked, and they "fine tuned" and reprogrammed a chip or two, but the KAP 150 was basically OK. Now the combination of rebuilt AI, a new pitch servo, a tuned KAP 150 is awesome. I have a SAM Icarus, for GPSS steering, following flight plans programmed into a GTN 750. Can't ask for better combination

3 1/2 years ago, when I first bought my plane, it had an intermittant problem with the KFC150. I brought it to my local avionics shop. 3 month later and a lot of money the avionics shop told me the same thing(poor A/P). We then found it was a bad AI, that fixed the problem. Last year I started having another intermittant problem, this time I took it to Griffin Avionics in Hyannnis MA. They specialize in A/Ps. They told me the KFC150 is a very good A/P. They found and fixed 3 problems in 1 1/2 days(HSI, + 2 connector issues). Again, nothing wrong with the A/P. A/P problems are usually intermittant and very hard to trouble shoot in the shop unless you have the proper test equipment and experience. This can lead to a very frustrated tech as well as owner. i suggest you call auto pilot central and ask their opinion. Now it's steady as a rock and highly capable, especially when connected to GPSS and Alt pre-select.

The KAP 150 itself has been as reliable as my former KFC 200. My AP problems came from a failed AI, and in both cases, the pitch servo. When I had my recent AP problem solved by LAC Avionics, we had the KAP 150 sent back to Honeywell it be checked, and they "fine tuned" and reprogrammed a chip or two, but the KAP 150 was basically OK. Now the combination of rebuilt AI, a new pitch servo, a tuned KAP 150 is awesome. I have a SAM Icarus, for GPSS steering, following flight plans programmed into a GTN 750. Can't ask for better combination

Same here, KAP 150 has been totally trouble free. Recent runaway trim issue was the thumb switch.

• 2 weeks later...

KAP 100 AP here and looking to upgrade -- I need altitude hold at a minimum.  Any recommendations?

STEC 30ALT for just altitude...or...60PSS for alt hold and vertical modes...

Might there be any other options?

We have the 30 ALT and it is nice, push the button, hold altitude.  Trouble free for, according to the records, 12 years.  But it is a lot of money for a button, a box the size of a pack of cigarettes, a pressure transducer, and a servo. 

I spent  a ton of money on my KFC-150 when I first got the plane and worried I'd never have a working AP and I should have just swapped it out even though they were telling me not to.  In the end, the repair cost was less than a new AP (~2/3 savings) and it has worked perfectly for 5 years.

However, I have had plenty of problems with the AI which I swapt for the Aspen unit and that isn't so smooth.

We have the 30 ALT and it is nice, push the button, hold altitude.  Trouble free for, according to the records, 12 years.  But it is a lot of money for a button, a box the size of a pack of cigarettes, a pressure transducer, and a servo. 

Jetdriven, in conjunction with your STEC 30ALT, are you running the KAP 100 AP system?  If so, do you have it coupled to an IFR GPS?  How does it work?

All, does anyone have the KAP 100 and 60PSS system?  Complaints or praise?

Have had my Mooney for over five years and 500 hours with the 150 and not a single problem.  Only issue I have is when you are flying a coupled approach you need to hit the APR button before you capture the localizer, otherwise it is hit or miss as to whether it will fly the approach properly.  Not sure why but it works better when you let it fly into the localizer.  Would not agree that it is a piece of junk in the least.  Do wish I had altitude pre-select though.