It's official...

As a 9000 hour pilot rated in the 747, CRJ, and Beech 1900 that small shock you get while punching into the clouds never goes away, it does get easier however.  You have to trust that everything is going to work as planned, your training is enough to handle it, scan the instruments, and settle down into the IFR mentality. After 3 minutes, your mind gets into the rhythm, the airplane and you settle down, and you fly by the numbers.  Then the rest is boring. The hardest was the was the early morning low IFR departure into 200 OVC. Its quite a transition from cold "stick the power to it" to 30 seconds later in the soup. 

• Like 1

When I have passengers on board and am about to go through a cloud I announce:  "HOLD ON< WE"RE GOING THROUGH" !!   Sometimes the hold on is no BS as it is usually bumpy going through.

For currency I fly 3 approaches every 3 months w/hold and every flight over 50 mi is filed IFR.

I'm sure we'll meet up sometime, perhaps on a PNP flight.

BILL

Although, I am sure this has been discussed somewhere on these forums...which is better, the "10 Day" IFR ticket or the more traditional "take lessons with your local CFI when time permits" approach?

LB,

They are both good. Apparently the learning continues long after the training ends.

The challenge is finding what works for you...

If drinking from a fire hose is your specialty. Do it in ten days.

If you work 50 hours per week and get a week of vacation. Do it in ten days.

Dragging it out over time leads to a bunch of other challenges that could lead to a delay or non completion...

Nike supplied good advice. Either way, just do it!

I used American Flyers. They are capable of a 10 day program, but are flexible enough to match your schedule. If you need to drag it out to 10 weeks or ten months...

Get started on the written portion, it is equally challenging as the practical portion in a completely different way...

The capability that the IR opens up is worth it...

Get started.

Best regards,

-a-