Any Interest in an AC/Ice Box Product - Gauging Interest ???

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

Most of you have been following the AC thread here. We got about 20x Mooney Pilots pre-ordered here last month and we are in production now.

I'll repost the info here below if you are interested on the Special Price:

The IceBox - Special Intro Price for now  - $299 

The IceBox is a portable air conditioning system, for your car, boat or airplane.

No more flying in a scorching hot cabin! Turn ON the IceBox during preflight and cool your cabin down. Jump in and start your engine for a comfortable taxi and departure to a cooler altitude. Enjoy hours of IceBox cooling power and control your comfort with the Wireless Remote (Pump and Fan controls) TIP: Turn OFF the water pump at altitude with the included 2x button Wireless Remote, to sustain the longest A/C possible. Keep the fan running to push cooler air through the cabin ** 2x more cooling than the Arctic Air device! (See below)

Specifications

- Electrical: 12V or 24V. Max Power Consumption 4.5 Amps at 12V, 2.5 Amps at 24V

- Features: Wireless Remote included (Fan/Pump), Removable Duct for Extended Reach cooling, Internal 'Cold Box' Design, 30 lbs Ice/Water capacity, Long 15' power plug

- Dimensions: 12"x17"x22"​

- Warranty: 1 year Mfr parts & labor, 30day money back guarantee

- Shipping: First Batch in month of June

We tested over and over again (1000lbs of Ice and testing hours), in various high Ambient Temps and R.H. environments/Desert vs Deep South, with calibrated equipment and we are claiming a 2x increase of A/C cooling power than the competitor's ArcticAir. (See attached graph) 

The parts and labor are ending up much higher, but we will keep it at $299 this week and then go to the final price at $349 so we can support this operation for everyone.

Order here if interested. Specs and Info on the site

IceBox_Front.jpg

Polar%20IceBox%20vs%20Arctic%20Air%20-%2

Polar%20IceBox%20-%20Remote%20Control.JP

We are going to run another giveaway like we did with the Winter product.

FREE ENTRY for a new SwitchBox, or AUX Battery. Delivered to you for free.

Last winter we had about 400x SwitchBox orders in just 2 months, great response to the Winter Product... but only 35x ppl entered the free drawing! The odds of winning the Free giveaway were very good, and the entry was FREE.

The only thing needed is to send a Photo of your plane for the SwitchBox gallery. Easy.

Click below if interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Production Photos posted.

- New Lid and Cooler Design
- Removable 15' Belden Power Cable 16AWG for easy transport and our accessory cables (Aux Battery Box with Pilot's Switch, Future Iphone App, USB Phone Charger, EFB battery Backup, etc.)
- Wireless 2x button Remote (Taxi/Climb Out vs Cruise Mode)
- Tuned Internal Plumbing for Longest A/C duration (up to 2x longer than ArcticAir)
- 'Easy Snap' Exhaust line for removing water after flight. No need to move the IceBox.

IceBox_Front.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Posting some pics here of the accessories we made for the IceBox:

1. Aux Battery setup (RunTime: 1.5 Hours, Dimensions/Weight: 7.5x4.5x7, 7.5lb, Comes Fully Charged) -- $75

2. Pilot's Cable to switch between ship's power and Aux Battery (useful for preflight, fuel stops and post-flight draining the box) -- $50

3. Custom Gel Packs - One "IceBox" gel pack has 10x more cold material than consumer packs; Contains a thin insulation sleeve to transfer cold BTUs out, rather than the hard insulated store-brand types (6x10x1.25, 48oz Gel, 2lb, Reusable 'fuel' Save $$ on Ice, 10x packs fit an IceBox) -- $5/each

4. Extension Drain Hose w/ Quick connect adapter (4' length, Each IceBox comes with this cable, An Extra Hose for added length) - $5

5. Aux Battery Charging Cable - $5

PolarIceBox_AuxBattery_beech.jpg

PHL_9458IceBoxAccessories070413PA.jpg

PHL_9470IceBoxAccessories070413PA.jpg

PHL_9461IceBoxAccessories070413PA.jpg

PHL_9476IceBoxAccessories070413PA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The winner of the IceBox Summer Give-Away is:

Kevin Howe from Manitoba, Canada
- an RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) pilot flying their F18 hornets, Tutors and Sea King Helicopters
- private plane is a '61 Debonair

Congrats Kevin. New Free contest starting on Monday with a value of $1000. All existing entries are being rolling into the new contest!

image.jpeg

image-1.jpeg

Pirep from 7/14 flight:

Flight plan was KMJX to 20N via the Hudson Corridor (over NYC). A Yankee's game over the stadium/TFR created a low level flight with plenty of ATC hand offs throughout the NYC Bravo. 

OAT: 97 (feels like 103 it said.. felt like a swamp)
Fuel: 40lbs of Gas Station Ice Cubes
Recipe: 1 gallon of Water, 40lbs cubed ice, no insulation lid

I got to the plane which was tied down in transient parking (KMJX) and tried a new flow with the IceBox. I opened the baggage door, took the icebox out... filled it with the water and turned on the water pump (connected to Aux Battery + Pilots Cable). It took a few start & stop rounds before the air was pushed out of the lines and water in its place. Then I dumped all 40lbs into the cooler (probably 38lbs) and made room for the fan on the left side to go into the mix. I lifted the cooler into the plane, attached the hose and started the baby up. Pre-Cooling for 5-10mins while I checked out the outside of the plane. (I felt that filling the cooler outside the plane was much easier for me than trying to bring bags into the cabin/baggage compartment)

Sasha/dog and I jumped in the plane and it was heavenlyyyyy. The best pre-cool cabin Ive gotten so far. Outside the plane was barely tolerable and inside the plane was FBO-quality to me. Dog fell asleep immediately and I opened an Ice Tea. I ended up spending 30mins inside the cockpit, sunshade still in just hanging out. Ha. I checked the flight plan, weather, emailed you guys and took pictures. I had no passengers, only the VIP in the back, and felt no pressure to taxi or start the engine or anything. Finished snacking and dilly dallying and started the engine finally. I loved this sense of slow-down summer flying, never had I experienced that kind of pre-flight during a hot July month in NYC.

Taxiing to the departure #s, I remembered to reach under the seat and make a quick flip of the Pilot's Cable to "Plane Power". Nice, i see the ammeter read 4Amps higher. I know that Im on plane power. 

1. I turned off the fan. Mannnnn.... Scorching immediately. Right behind your ears.
2. I tried turning off the pump and used my IFR watch to count how many seconds until the exhaust temp got warm again... I calculated 3.5mins and I wanted the pump again.
3. I turned the pump on.. moved some more freezing water into the "radiator chamber" and then turned off the pump again... Again 3.5 mins of nice cool air and then warm. Sometimes I would forget if the pump was indeed ON or OFF. An easy way for me was to just unplug the cigarette cord from teh plane. Then everything was 100% off and when i plugged back in, I did On and On, for the Pump & Fan. And I knew where I was at.

** Do you guys see where Im getting here... I need to build you all a small Arduino/Bluetooth box with an external exhaust temp sensor and an internal water temp sensor. It plugs into your IceBox and then your power cable plugs into it. Score for a removable cable design! Then.. I need to make you a FREE Tablet or Phone APP (a la SwitchBox) which has a graphical user interface. It asks you "What temp for your Cabin?" You set the temp... a picture pops up with a recipe for this setup (3 gel packs + 15 lbs Ice + .5g water... foam lid... 20 lbs ice) and 2x switches (app/software) which control your fan and pump. In the Auto setting you got a THERMOSTAT ! Pump on... prime the radiator with freezing water, pump off. Fan ON. Monitor cabin temp at the desired user setting. Cabin temp is getting too hot... pump ON.. displace water in radiator for 5 seconds.. primed. Pump off. Guys, the AC will last for 10 hours this way. Probably more. Climb to alititude. Cabin temp is 70 degrees. Unit goes to sleep. Start your descent, cabin temp rising, water temp is still low = available for cooling ... turn On unit and max it out for the hot descent. No more thinking/work needed after this box comes out. I think I can do it in a few weeks **

4. Cabin vents ON. OAT says 97 but lets try cabin vents on anyways. You know what, I like it. All the vents come on, every door. Sasha likes it. We fly the rest of the flight like this, even though it doesnt make sense. :)

Flight was easy and cruising. 1.5 hours in, I imagine the IceBox is mostly melted. I turn off the IceBox to see if its doing anything. Yep.. back to swamp land. Turn it back on, much better. Approach field, short field landing with a steep bank in the base leg (curious if the huge amount of water is gonna spill out the top slats = 45 degree bank) landing... OAT upstate NY at 20N is 88F.

Landed and tying down, switch the pilots cable underneath my seat to Battery mode. Leave Sasha in the plane and he's comfortable and its cool in the cabin. No water spilled out, I click in the black drain hose with the nice snap-couplings. I turn on the water pump and its the dog fountain again. I get the pooch and he's drinking from the black hose, then flips around under the shade of the wing on the wet surface. Other pilots come over, curious and wondering why the plane is leaking water. Ha

One pilot, a Diamond guy... was skeptical. He flies in the "Hot Greenhouse" he calls it, bec of the large glass canopy. He flies ONLY with his shirt OFF in the summer. Ha.

He was about to take off and I offered to lend him the IceBox for the flight if he took a bet... I bet him not only would it fit nicely in the back of his small plane.. but... he could fly WITH his big English Setter, and keep his shirt On. Ha. lol

He took the bet and went home to get his dog and buy the ice. 

Diamond guy told me he usually keeps his car running for 2-3 hours while he is gone, with the A/C running and keeps his dog in there on the field. Thats nuts and I was happy that he was gonna try flying with his pet now instead of that dangerous situation waiting to happen, and terrible on the exhaust fumes.

So he took the bet and I took some photos of him putting his shirt back on. Haha. 

We plugged everything in and Nothing worked! No fan, no pump, nothing. We tried again. nothing. * Fail *
I tried it and it started then stopped. * Fail *
I said, show me your Voltmeter reading.
He shows me.. 23.8 volts.

24 volts into a 12V icebox!~!!
Immediate death!
We unplugged everything immediately.

I dont have any spare 24V adapters laying around but I do have my Aux Battery in my plane. I fetched it but its been used for at least 1-1.5 hours over the past 2 weeks. We plugged him into the Aux Battery setup and it was running perfect! Amazing... over voltage did not fry my own personal IceBox. Good to know, if you do this on accident.

Dog and 2 big men are in the little Diamond/HotHouse and the IceBox is on one of the back seats. They are smiling and happy and they close the canopy. I get on my portable radio and talk with him, as they taxi away and depart the field...

I won the bet!

photo.jpg
photo%202.JPG
1000477_10152062291012538_2001563260_n.j
photo%205-1.JPG
photo%204-2.JPG
photo%204.JPG
IMG_9129.JPG
IMG_9119.jpg
IMG_9142.JPG

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Ive been testing the new 'collapsible cooler' to transport the cold fuel from the House/Freezer to the plane. I froze 12x gel packs for 24hours and they went solid blocks.

I put all of them in the insulated collapsible style cooler, and zipped it up.
It was subjected to constant 90-95F for 18 hours.

Just checked on the gel packs and all of them are still frozen solid . Maybe down by 20% on some packs. ** I put some 'high quality' gel packs in there also.. 3-4x just to see... they are sold at a SuperMarket for transporting expensive Juices and those are all mush right now. So ours are holding up really good in my test ***

Bunch of current IceBox users and customers from the competitors, have been writing me to sell accessories like: sunshades, collapsible cooler,  the "goo tube" metal coil, etc..

If you guys are interested, I can get 25-30x of them until they sell out. 
Let me know how I can help.

Pictures below.

My new current setup will be to bring this insulated bag to the plane full of Frozen gel packs. The extra ones/unused can be saved for the return flight or ask a passenger to throw a few in during the flight. Stays frozen and will elongate the AC time more and more.

photo%201.JPG
photo%202.JPG

Roger I designed it with 2x heat exchangers actually. Stacked together to get the most efficiency. Mooney guys are saying it actually dehumidifies the whole plane since the radiator coils inside catch the water in the air and it rains down into the cooler.

Really great side effect of the coils.

In my plane I notice the air gets more comfortable as it takes the humidity out of the air.

P

I'm very interested.  I'm curious how many other Mooney pilots are flying with this.  How is the lifting over the baggage compartment wall and putting it place working?  That must be a heavy load to get up and over.  Are you loading it up after with the special ice gel packs or actual ice?

-Seth

I'm very interested. I'm curious how many other Mooney pilots are flying with this. How is the lifting over the baggage compartment wall and putting it place working? That must be a heavy load to get up and over. Are you loading it up after with the special ice gel packs or actual ice? -Seth
I have the same questions.

I have some Rocket guys in Texas that are mooney space guys and they have been using for a few months.

Their pireps are great to my email but I asked them to post on the forum

We'll see if they have the time

P

I load the ice and water after the unit is in the plane and drain it before removing the unit, if I remove it at all.  Never had any significant spilage but to get the most water out during draining I have to lean into the baggage compartment and lift the unit a little to get all the water to one corner (I use a siphon instead of the pump so there is no power needed and it is actually faster because I use a large tube).