Accepted practice for those that take delivery of an item for sale and fail to pay.

Lois

On 9/4/2023 at 11:36 PM, donkaye said:

I wish real names were required here, as they are on Beechtalk.  It might make this type of thing less likely to occur.

I think that nuts, I’m not posting my name, address or Social Security number etc., not in this day and age. I try to not even show my N number.

Not a month ago someone applied for a Chase credit card using my name, SS number, Address, Email etc, I only caught it because Chase sent me an Email, I got lucky.

Then secondarily I’d like to bet that the majority of Beechtalk members don’t use their real names, anyone with any kind of nefarious intent you can be sure doesn’t.

So Beechtalk may require a name, but I feel sure doesn’t verify it.

ANY rule / law not rigorously enforced just isn’t effective. Rules or laws are made for the 1% that won’t act in a civilized manner and they don’t civilize them either, a rule or law just enables a negative action against the 1% is all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

Then secondarily I’d like to bet that the majority of Beechtalk members don’t use their real names, anyone with any kind of nefarious intent you can be sure doesn’t.

You may be right, but if someone has (for example) 12,000 posts vs someone who has 1, I think it likely that the name is real.  I wouldn't be sending money to anyone who has 1 or 2 posts.

As for me, I'll use my real name.  Most posts I make have something to say that may benefit some people.  I'm also in the business of teaching aviation and enjoy passing on some of the knowledge I've gained over the past 56 years of flying.  Not providing my name could be a hindrance to that endeavor.   I guess it's a risk benefit decision.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess maybe I'm too trusting but for people on this site I always pay immediately when I buy something and ship immediately when I sell something.  I expect most people on this site to be trustworthy and so far I haven't been disappointed.  I even sent a voltage regulator to a member here to see if it solved their problem before asking for payment.  I think that is part of what building this community is about and at least so far I've been happy with the way every transaction has worked out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

You may be right, but if someone has 12,000 posts vs someone who has 1, I think it likely that the name is real.  I wouldn't be sending money to anyone who has 1 or 2 posts.

As for me, I'll use my real name.  Most posts I make have something to say that may benefit some people.  I'm in the business of teaching aviation, so not providing my name could be a hindrance to that endeavor.   I guess it's a risk benefit decision.

I have only 9,800 posts so perhaps I’ve not yet met the credibility threshold. That being said, I’ve never sold anything or bought anything without an introductory phone call. I have no financial interests to offset the risks associated with using my real name on screen. That being said, it’s not hard to figure out who I am with minimal effort. Having a screen name does little more than help avoid web scrapers.

People find me all the time through  mooneyspace either via DM, email or text. I have personally spoken with three different individuals in the last 45 days regarding vintage Mooney hydraulic systems. One of which is head of a local FSDO. All found me through Mooneyspace. Maybe I should figure out a way to get compensated… I bet I’ve spent >10 hours this offering tech support via phone. All of these folks are or are working with credentialed maintenance professionals and all of them now know me by name. Remaining anonymous from fellow aviators is not my goal. My personal data is given on a need to know basis only.

• Like 3

Wow, I ship an item at my expense.  Say return it if it fails to meet your expectations. No money, no item. Been a long time. Two sides. Yep that is true. I agree I will live in a world that I will trust you till proven wrong. (OK I’m a fool). This is going to be interesting. 

• Like 5

My practice as a seller: payment is due upon agreeing to terms, and I promptly provide a tracking number within 24 hours or communicate when to expect it otherwise (holiday, weekend, out of town, waiting for an additional part, etc.).  I also photograph the shipping box after dropping it off at the carrier facility (proves I transferred possession) and take another photo of the shipping label (in case I lose the receipt or type the number wrong). The photo of the box might also be useful to show responsibility of the carrier for damage, but fortunately that has never come up. 

• Like 1

Well I have learned a few things along the way. I thank you ZZ for the smarter way to conduct my future sales. But what I gather is even on MS it’s a scorched earth policy for those that fail to pay.  

Here is the OPPOSITE experience I am in.  I purchased an EDM830 and a longtime Mooneyspace member shipped the item BEFORE receiving payment!  We are NOT talking a small sum here.  Individual requested I pay by PayPal.  I HATE PayPal, but paid using PayPal.  He received payment, but was hit with a signifigant seller fee.  He refunded my payment and although I have been texting AND left a voicemail he still has not been paid as I am waiting for him to confirm he recovered PayPal fee and how he wants to get paid...

There are REALLY good people on Mooneyspace.  I know this for an absolute fact.  Scott

Edited by Echo

6 minutes ago, Echo said:

Here is the OPPOSITE experience I am in.  I purchased an EDM830 and a longtime Mooneyspace member shipped the item BEFORE receiving payment!  We are NOT talking a small sum here.  Individual requested I pay by PayPal.  I HATE PayPal, but paid using PayPal.  He received payment, but was hit with a signifigant seller fee.  He refunded my payment and although I have been texting AND left a voicemail he still has not been paid as I am waiting for him to confirm he recovered PayPal fee and how he wants to get paid...

There are REALLY good people on Mooneyspace.  I know this for an absolute fact.  Scott

Friends and Family.  Venmo?  Zelle?  

I would have expected it to be resolved by now.

Has this person logged on more than once since this thread started? 

Have you messaged them?

If the answer is yes to both I think I might “out” them, but admit I have no real idea of the possible consequences in doing so.

How long have they been a member and how many posts did they have?

If it’s a significant amount of money as you have a delivery address that I’m sure you put in Google Earth to see if it’s a legit address, you may have recourse as in contacting their Sheriff office etc.

• 3 months later...

I’ve purchased and sold only a few items here and never had an issue. I do look to make sure the person I’m dealing with has been a part of the community for a while. If so, I trust them and ship the item, even let them try it before they pay. Maybe not too smart but have yet to be burned. If there is someone in the community that we know is active and refuses to pay then no mercy. We should know who it is so the rest of us don’t get burned doing business with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lois said:

Yes.  Thank you. The payment was made shortly after I brought up the situation on MS. Merry Christmas 

that is great to hear

it is sad it took so long and have to bring up the situation to this forum for the person to pay what he/she owed