3400 ft home field

NewMoon

Just about set to close on an Acclaim and secure a hangar. One field has great folks (very rare these days as most airport mgrs at non-commercial fields forget GA is why they exist) but the runway is only 3450 ft. I have owned a J, Brave and Ovation so not new to the fleet but wanted to see what others thought of a home field of that length. 

Are the approaches clear? What is the field elevation?

If so, you should be fine. I’m based at LL10, and runway there is 2550 with 250’ displaced on runway 36.  Hot, light northwest or northeast winds are a no-go for me landing, but that is easy to plan around or to divert.  One of the Mooney salesmen was based at Brighton, MI with no issues.

If you don’t have the 310HP STC, I’d highly recommend it.  Takeoff roll is noticeably shorter and climb is astounding: 12-1500 FPM at MTOW all the way up to 17,000.

Congrats on your new plane. 
-dan

Field elevation and typical density altitude are critical elements to the decision here. Suggest pulling out your POH, checking the performance table and adding from a 50% to 100% buffer while your gaining proficiency in the plane. But start with a Mooney proficient instructor since the length gave you pause.
But the landing distance for all the longbodies is the same for the same weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:20 PM, kortopates said:

Field elevation and typical density altitude are critical elements to the decision here. Suggest pulling out your POH, checking the performance table and adding from a 50% to 100% buffer while your gaining proficiency in the plane. But start with a Mooney proficient instructor since the length gave you pause.
But the landing distance for all the longbodies is the same for the same weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, totally get the instruction deal. Have owned 3 M20's and will have Mike Elliott make sure I am on my game

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 6:11 AM, exM20K said:

Are the approaches clear? What is the field elevation?

If so, you should be fine. I’m based at LL10, and runway there is 2550 with 250’ displaced on runway 36.  Hot, light northwest or northeast winds are a no-go for me landing, but that is easy to plan around or to divert.  One of the Mooney salesmen was based at Brighton, MI with no issues.

If you don’t have the 310HP STC, I’d highly recommend it.  Takeoff roll is noticeably shorter and climb is astounding: 12-1500 FPM at MTOW all the way up to 17,000.

Congrats on your new plane. 
-dan

Thx, yes elevation is sea-level. Will definitely check out the STC, that climb is impressive. any idea of cost?

On 8/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, exM20K said:

Was $4600 in 2017.

Governor and JPI mini-tach were a little more.

-dan

I do not think that the tach is required anymore because they can have the g1000 reflect the correct rpm’s. 
i owned n34me which had the 310hp and didn’t have the additional tach. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Schllc said:

I do not think that the tach is required anymore because they can have the g1000 reflect the correct rpm’s. 
i owned n34me which had the 310hp and didn’t have the additional tach. 

Did they just change the profile to the Ovation 3 which has 310hp and then just change the MFD splash screen picture to something generic instead of a picture of an Ovation 3?

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Did they just change the profile to the Ovation 3 which has 310hp and then just change the MFD splash screen picture to something generic instead of a picture of an Ovation 3?

I am pretty sure the splash screen was an acclaim. It was the only acclaim with the 310 I have personally seen.  
Premier in Florida did the upgrade in 2009. 

In my Ovation 2 the 310hp STC required a separate tack be installed because the G1000’s RPM did not go to 2700 RPM. I removed the tack once I had the Waas installed in 2016 because the profile was changed at that time to the Ovation 3.

1 hour ago, Schllc said:

I am pretty sure the splash screen was an acclaim. It was the only acclaim with the 310 I have personally seen.  
Premier in Florida did the upgrade in 2009. 

You’ve had so many Acclaims it would be hard to remember . . Lol

In these pictures it looks like a generic splash screen: https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/197012325/n34me-2009-mooney-acclaim-type-s

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I 've trained in a number of them, Ovation or Acclaim, it just requires WAAS updated G1000 s/w to support the 2700 rpm. Without the WAAS you still need the separate RPM, usually an EI R1.

that makes sense because you cannot get the .34 or  the .37 garmin update without waas.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

I 've trained in a number of them, Ovation or Acclaim, it just requires WAAS updated G1000 s/w to support the 2700 rpm. Without the WAAS you still need the separate RPM, usually an EI R1.

This may be.  Mine will read 2700 on the G1000 tach, but it is flashing red.  NBD, and the mini-tach is unobtrusive and inexpensive.

-dan

On 8/26/2023 at 3:14 AM, NewMoon said:

Just about set to close on an Acclaim and secure a hangar. One field has great folks (very rare these days as most airport mgrs at non-commercial fields forget GA is why they exist) but the runway is only 3450 ft. I have owned a J, Brave and Ovation so not new to the fleet but wanted to see what others thought of a home field of that length. 

3400 feet at sea level won’t be a problem.  I am, however, not as enthusiastic about the 310 hp stc as others based upon multiple people I respect expressing concerns about it in the Acclaim.  280 hp is plenty. 

4 hours ago, Brandt said:

3400 feet at sea level won’t be a problem.  I am, however, not as enthusiastic about the 310 hp stc as others based upon multiple people I respect expressing concerns about it in the Acclaim.  280 hp is plenty. 

Well I appreciate you bringing this up.  I have not researched it really at all but when/if  I get to that point I will definitely be on the look out.