Engine Mounts for 1983 Rocket

Planejim

14 hours ago, Planejim said:

Can anyone suggest a source for new engine mounts for my Rocket?

Are you looking for the engine vibration isolation mounts?  Rocket specified Barry mounts originally (94030-04).  But Lord equivalents seem to be available.  As said before Rocket Engineering is the ultimate source of info.  I know on my Rocket Engineering Missile 300 conversion that both Barry and Lord isolation mounts are spec'ed.

@Cody Stallings reported that he used Lord# J-12453-1 in his Rocket 305 although you will not see it in the Lord Application guide PB6304_GAMounts_04262012.indd (chiefaircraft.com)

PowerPoint Presentation (jjairparts.com)

4 (aektechnology.com)

Barry (Hutchinson) Mounts Application Guide (airpowerinc.com)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

Rocket Engineering offers better support than the Mooney factory. 

None of the "firewall forward" parts on a Rocket Engineering - Rocket 305 STC were ever designed, spec'd, ordered nor manufactured by the Mooney Factory.  For instance, the engine mount for the Rocket TSIO-520 (an engine never used by Mooney Corp) is totally different than the engine mount used for the TSIO-550-G used by Mooney Corp in the Acclaim M20TN or M20V.  The Mooney Corp factory does not have the jigs. 

The Mooney Service Center located at the factory that is doing service may work on a Rocket or Missile for an Annual or repair, but that is different than the Mooney Corp providing factory support.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 3:25 PM, 1980Mooney said:

None of the "firewall forward" parts on a Rocket Engineering - Rocket 305 STC were ever designed, spec'd, ordered nor manufactured by the Mooney Factory.  For instance, the engine mount for the Rocket TSIO-520 (an engine never used by Mooney Corp) is totally different than the engine mount used for the TSIO-550-G used by Mooney Corp in the Acclaim M20TN or M20V.  The Mooney Corp factory does not have the jigs. 

The Mooney Service Center located at the factory that is doing service may work on a Rocket or Missile for an Annual or repair, but that is different than the Mooney Corp providing factory support.

Note on the engine mount: there's a Canadian company that has a jig for the Rocket - at least they did have. Their name escapes me, but I can look it up in my receipts if anyone needs it.

The way they got a jig... My mount needed some work when I had an engine overhaul completed. I couldn't find anyone with a jig and Rocket was less than helpful. I sent my mount to this Canadian company, had them make a jig from my mount, and repair my mount. It cost me quite a few AMUs to have them create the jig, so I'm assuming they kept it.

Also of note: mine was a 252 converted to 305. Being a 1983, yours would've been a 231. I'll make no claim that the 231 conversion has the same mount.

The Lord vibration isolation mounts recommended by Mr Stallings (referenced in an above post) have been flawless. 

John

On 9/15/2023 at 2:40 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Acorn Welding?

7 hours ago, SkepticalJohn said:

Thanks, sir. Acorn Welding is indeed the company we used.

Practically all the big general aviation welding shops are now owned by Tailwind Technologies, which owns Hartzell and other aviation businesses.  They bought AWI in Jan 2020 (AWI had already bought Kosola and Associates in Albany, GA back in 2013).  In Jan 2021, they bought Dawley - they shut Dawley down, moved equipment and consolidated in AWI Minneapolis.  In July 2022, they acquired Acorn Welding in Canada. 

I have no idea if the level of service has declined or prices have increased yet but they obviously did it to consolidate, cut cost and reduce competition. (aka - as our B-School friends would say "driving efficiency"...)

Edited by 1980Mooney