Flap control cable attachement

Evening gents,

during annual, I realized this outer nut (see circle in foto) on the bolt holding the flap control cable. It does not look correct, because the bolt has not enough thread to carry the self lock nut. At least a couple of threads should "look out" the nut. Something must be wrong here.

The IPC (see attached figure) mentions only one nut. Is it maybe possible that the outer nut should be completely removed, and the inner nut should be shifted outside (towards the cable) to clamp the cable against its hole so it is blocked? That way the outer nut would be obsolete. Onl thing, the bolt might be able of "swimming" a little in the axial direction.

Has anobody by coincidence a foto of his cable fixing or knows whether my interpretion is correct?

Thanks,

Martin

image.jpeg.94fb8fc49c7b3b5070439e4f92a9774c.jpegimage.jpeg.76c2fcf80c47a28af73e3a8b912bdf20.jpeg

That pic fits my recollection from my J... I'll be in that area this weekend and will try to remember to take a pic of it.  I replaced that cable (and indicator) with a newer version during my center console and engine control swap many years ago.

7 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

That pic fits my recollection from my J... I'll be in that area this weekend and will try to remember to take a pic of it.  I replaced that cable (and indicator) with a newer version during my center console and engine control swap many years ago.

Thanks - I would appreciate!

It’s interesting that for the flap cable, the washer is on the cable side of the nut, but for the parking brake it is on the other side. I looked and both pictures appear to agree with the relevant drawings in the IPC. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PT20J said:

It’s interesting that for the flap cable, the washer is on the cable side of the nut, but for the parking brake it is on the other side. I looked and both pictures appear to agree with the relevant drawings in the IPC. 

Different engineers spec'ed the drawings, probably.  ;)

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, PT20J said:

The flap indicator cable has very little load on it, it just moves that little pointer below the throttle. The parking brake cable actually has tension and moves a valve to lock the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines. So no, they don't need to attach the same way.

• Like 1