Bravo for rent in Colorado

PilotX

On 2/22/2022 at 11:01 PM, donkaye said:

I wouldn't want to be the insurance company that insures that airplane unless the annual insurance fee is the cost of the airplane.  An Acclaim was put on the line at Palo Alto a number of years ago.  3 prop strikes later the plane went into default and was repossessed.  Who would ever want it after all those prop strikes?  I brought it back from Kerrville before it went on the line.  It looked good then.  A couple of years later it looked like your typical rental plane---garbage.  The only beneficiaries may be the renters who don't give a cr*p about the plane, want to go fast, and will destroy the engine in short order.  On top of everything else, with the altitude in Denver, landings will be at least 10% faster than at sea level and may expedite the first prop strike.

It's a fools errand to put any long body Mooney on the line, expecting to make money while cutting their own flying expenses.  They are in for a real eye opening experience.  After 30 years' experience with the Bravo, there is so much more I could say, but it would likely just fall on deaf ears.

we have our T-6G on the line at Advantage Aviation in Palo Alto. There are only 2 (non-partner) pilots allowed to act as PIC, and they also happen to be instructors who can . https://www.advantage-aviation.com/aircraft/n555q/  https://www.bayareawarbirds.com/

10 hours ago, rbp said:

we have our T-6G on the line at Advantage Aviation in Palo Alto. There are only 2 (non-partner) pilots allowed to act as PIC, and they also happen to be instructors who can . https://www.advantage-aviation.com/aircraft/n555q/  https://www.bayareawarbirds.com/

rbp,

What type of commitment is required to get a skilled pilot up to speed with flying the T-6G as PIC?

Number of hours for Transition Training would be interesting… 

Looks like an expensive method to get a tail wheel rating….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

rbp,

What type of commitment is required to get a skilled pilot up to speed with flying the T-6G as PIC?

Number of hours for Transition Training would be interesting… 

Looks like an expensive method to get a tail wheel rating….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

its only available for dual with one of the approved instructors. no TW endorsement required. I did my TW in the mighty citabria! 

if someone wants to come in as a partner, they have to have unanimous approval and be qualified, which means not only insurance, but have a lot of high-performance time and lots of TW time. its a handfull

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, rbp said:

it was marketed as a 220KTAS airplane at FL250. i don't remember the engine settings, but probably BTTW.

EDIT: I mean 220KTAS (not 200). still don't know what power settings

In my bravo, I cruise at 29"MP and 2400 RPM - 100 degrees ROP which works out to 19.7 GPH.  This is also 75% power from the engine.

At those settings, I can expect 165 - 170 KTAS kts below 4000 Then, increasing 5 knots every additional 3000 feet, give or take

So at 7000 = 175, 10k feet = 180 kts, 13K feet = 185 kts, 16K feet = 190, 19k feet - 195 kts, 22k feet = 200kts, 24k feet = 205kts.

My model has TKS

As you can see, my airplane maxes out at 205KTAS. The only way to "possibly" see 220 knots would be increase the MP to 34 (my guess).  The engine and exhaust will probably get too hot to sustain that for a lenghy period of time

k

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alextstone said:

At those settings, I can expect 165 - 170 KTAS kts below 4000 Then, increasing 5 knots every additional 3000 feet, give or take

So at 7000 = 175, 10k feet = 180 kts, 13K feet = 185 kts, 16K feet = 190, 19k feet - 195 kts, 22k feet = 200kts, 24k feet = 205kts.

are these measured numbers? or extrapolated?

• 1 year later...

I actually did the insurance checkout for my Bravo in this one....

They are pretty picky about it, not sure if it's in general or because of stuff that happened between the start of this thread and when I checked out.  As I recall, not a lot are checked out on it because the insurance requirements are pretty stiff...

Nice bird.

I actually did the insurance checkout for my Bravo in this one....
They are pretty picky about it, not sure if it's in general or because of stuff that happened between the start of this thread and when I checked out.  As I recall, not a lot are checked out on it because the insurance requirements are pretty stiff...
Nice bird.

I have emailed them twice to get details on checkout. Even explained I only wanted dual instruction for insurance checkout for future Bravo purchase with no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I have emailed them twice to get details on checkout. Even explained I only wanted dual instruction for insurance checkout for future Bravo purchase with no response.

What is the requirement for an insurance checkout these days? I know my open pilot requires 750/Instrument/25M&M. 

1 hour ago, PilotX said:

What is the requirement for an insurance checkout these days? I know my open pilot requires 750/Instrument/25M&M. 

Your post made me wonder what portion of a premium cost is going to the open pilot clause. Zero other pilots have flown my Mooney since the day I bought it, and I don’t have any intention of changing that track record anytime soon :)

2 hours ago, toto said:

Your post made me wonder what portion of a premium cost is going to the open pilot clause. Zero other pilots have flown my Mooney since the day I bought it, and I don’t have any intention of changing that track record anytime soon :)

Unknown. I have seen quotes vary wildly on my plane. PPL it tripled, 10000+ ATP the quote was for a few hundred extra. 

Have no idea what the open pilot requirements are, guessing checkout on your own policy is 5 or 10 for solo maybe 20-25 for passengers. In 2016 it was like 5 for my 201 and maybe 10 for passengers. I got checked out in a 201 awhile before I bought mine and had about 20hrs total, I’m pretty sure that put me in a lower insurance bracket but might not be the case now. But the biggest benefit to being checked out in the plane prior to purchase I was able to fly it home to Oregon from Texas and didn’t need a CFI or spend a week or two with an instructor before I could fly home, or have someone fly it home for me.

For the reasons already stated above a rental Bravo is unlikely to be found. Simplest way to get Bravo time is go Bravo shopping and fly with the owners. Jimmy Garrison has a couple for sale and also has a personal Bravo. Once a candidate aircraft has been identified make a qualified instructor part of your pre-purchase team. Once the aircraft is purchased do the shake down and ferry flights with that instructor. 25h in make and model will have accumulated when you are done pre-purchasing, shaking down and ferrying.

For the reasons already stated above a rental Bravo is unlikely to be found. Simplest way to get Bravo time is go Bravo shopping and fly with the owners. Jimmy Garrison has a couple for sale and also has a personal Bravo. Once a candidate aircraft has been identified make a qualified instructor part of your pre-purchase team. Once the aircraft is purchased do the shake down and ferry flights with that instructor. 25h in make and model will have accumulated when you are done pre-purchasing, shaking down and ferrying.

Flying with the owner isn’t getting you check out time. And most sellers I’ve worked with isn’t spending hours with you up in the air as you shake down their airplane hoping you will buy it.

I looked at 16 201’s and got notes from 32, before I found one to buy. Candidates take time to vet. When I purchase a bravo I want to be ready to fly it home and not have to coordinate with multiple people to get to that point. I’m good with planning a trip to the Denver area to get checked out in this Bravo discussed in this thread.

Each their own.

got it, call Jimmy Garrison at Gmax American and Richard Simile at Thunderbird, they are in the biz of selling airplanes and have a bunch of them sitting around, you look like a guy who wants to buy one, getting you checked out should be a marketing effort for them, at $500/h one of them will figure this out and you might learn a thing or two from them that helps you find the right airplane, I keep fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 9:42 AM, xcrmckenna said:

Flying with the owner isn’t getting you check out time. And most sellers I’ve worked with isn’t spending hours with you up in the air as you shake down their airplane hoping you will buy it.

I looked at 16 201’s and got notes from 32, before I found one to buy. Candidates take time to vet. When I purchase a bravo I want to be ready to fly it home and not have to coordinate with multiple people to get to that point. I’m good with planning a trip to the Denver area to get checked out in this Bravo discussed in this thread.

Each their own.

The Mooney at APA is currently not available due to some sort of contract issue with the owner. No idea when, or if, it’s going to be available again. 

• 2 months later...

$350k with the engine at 1,300 hours and it doesn't even have TKS?  

It's not really for sale, it's "My wife said I had to sell it."

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2024 at 3:33 PM, PilotX said:

Up for sale...like buying a used rental car. 

https://denver.craigslist.org/avo/d/littleton-2005-mooney-m20m-bravo/7743082524.html

This is the one I did my insurance checkout in at APA.  Nice bird. Prop Deice but no TKS as mentioned.  Clean airplane.